skybytch

Currency and Awareness

I've done 10 or so jumps since Rantoul, two of those this past weekend. Technically, I'm current. You might even say I was more current on the second one this weekend than on any of the previous 4. But I wasn't aware enough to notice the guy coming in on final 90 degrees off the landing direction in the landing area on that second jump - I had to be told later that he'd crossed my path a couple seconds after I'd landed. I wouldn't have known what hit me if he'd been there any sooner. I should have seen him.

I'll be making a special point of keeping my head on a swivel until I'm back in the packing area in the future. My question for you is - do you think your level of currency affects how aware you are of what is going on around you when you're in the air? In this case, "current" would be how many jumps over the past few months, not "current" for your license level per USPA/BPA/CSPA/APF/etc regulations.

I know what my answer is...

I had the pleasure of making a few jumps this past weekend after a 5 month break. I'd anticipated feeling a little out of sync, but was surprised at comfortable I was in the air, and on the ground. The landing pattern went to plan, and I felt aware of other canopies around me. I'm always caution once I've landed and normally keep an eye on canopies as they come in.
I think this website is great for non-jumping times because it allowed me to continue thinking about jumping, EP's, and other skydiving scenerios.

Hmmm, would have guessed at your level currency wouldn't have been the issue. I know that my normal 6 month winter layoff doesn't effect me much at all.

Are you sure it was curency, or were you distracted by something new or different.

Hot guy in the landing area?;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hmmm, would have guessed at your level currency wouldn't have been the issue. I know that my normal 6 month winter layoff doesn't effect me much at all.

I thought so too. I know my freefall flying skills suffer when I'm not staying really current (which for myself I define as 20+ jumps/month) but I felt very comfortable and confident under canopy on the last few jumps - I felt "current" and was surprised to find out later that I'd missed seeing a canopy that close to me on final.

Are you sure it was curency, or were you distracted by something new or different.

The only thing different on that jump was that I was landing in the main landing area instead of the (larger, farther out, less traffic) student circle.

Hot guy in the landing area?

LMAO! I jump at Perris; there's always hot guys in the landing area here. :D

Maybe it's complacency, which can be brought on by currency, or the feeling of currency.

Jumping regularly is practice. But practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.

Being current, I guess I found out the hard way ;), is much more than just jumping out of a plane frequently....

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Glad you are okay, and a good reminder to people that are jumping at a busy DZ or have to cross a runway to get back to the packing area. The skydive isn't over till you are back in the packing area and your gear is off.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I am so glad that you are ok, Lisa.

This is a great thread for me right now, too, because I have done 2 jumps in the last 6 months. Technically, I am current now (last 2 jumps done Oct 24th.), but I don't feel it. I will be sure to keep my head on a swivel and be extra alert/cautious under canopy the next time that I jump.

Thanks again, Lisa...good thread. :)

I think currency also depends on what you're doing in the sport.

I don't feel very current when I only do Tandems once amonth even if I've been jumping my ass off the rest of the time.

If I go two weeks without making a jump, I feel making a very high performance landing on my canopies is not smart, I'll back it off a bit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would definitly say yes it does.

I've been jumping very little here lately. Four or Five times every few (2-3) weeks and I hate it.

Comfort level is stretched. Procedure awareness and surrounding awareness definitly is hampered.

I think that we cannot over emphasize currency in this sport. And not as an method for merely meeting USPA requirements, but for being capable and confident and safe.

Damn good point Lisa,

j
It's a gas, gas, gas...

The only thing different on that jump was that I was landing in the main landing area instead of the (larger, farther out, less traffic) student circle.

Well, I visited Perris this summer. If you usually land out on the student circle coming into the grass and making sure your not over shooting or undershooting could have been enough. While I'm used to small landing areas with trees around, we have a whole lot of grass. The grass at Perris isn't all that big for an otter load to land without some potential conflict. For those used to it and to flying near other canopies no problem. Of course I was busy watching the stupid dust devils.:o

Earlier this year I flew on a just miss collision course with my girl friend to get her on tape and she never knew I was there. I was ready to avoid her and left an out. This was pretty high but she was fixated on the target.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Currency is overrated.

No, seriously, being current is good, but being aware at all times trumps the number of jumps you make in a given month.

I average 3-5 jumps per month, and have been on such a schedule for many years. It's not a problem as long as I know my limits. For example, I would not join a night 24-way with borrowed gear. And, it's a good thing I have no aspirations to join a pond swooping competition, because I would have no business jumping a hot, fast canopy.

It took a long time to develop basic RW skills, but once you're there you can make as few jumps as you want and still be safe. Of course, there are trade-offs; I'm quite sure my phone number is not on Jack Jeffries' Rolodex:ph34r:.

The only problem is that "currency", like so many other aspects of the sport, becomes defined by the high-profile people who make 200+ jumps per year. These are the people who think you should endure formal retraining if you take a few months off.

Sigh,
Jon S.

here here Airman.
I've had so many 're-currency' jumps over the last three years, due to moving around, bad weather, working weekends, and lack of money, that I'm actually used to being uncurrent ... which is good in my opinion.
I don't try anything new on my first jump after a layoff, and am so aware of being uncurrent, that I'm more aware than when I'm nicely complacent/confident at the end of a jumping weekend. I know the fear that settles in after a layoff very well, and know what to ignore and what to take careful note of.

I'm not saying it's good to be uncurrent all the time, but a break now and then could be good, to help keep us in check.
I do also think that people who aren't as current as they 'should' be (according to what guidelines?), shouldn't be treated as careless or dangerous, just be sure they are aware of the risks, and not to take any more.

Just my 2c.

- Citizen of the World -

I do also think that people who aren't as current as they 'should' be (according to what guidelines?), shouldn't be treated as careless or dangerous, just be sure they are aware of the risks...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

For example... The biggest dive I've ever been on was a 20-way. Still, I could safely join a real big way, (50 - 100) without compromising anyone's safety.

Of course, an event such as this requires people who can be in their slot at the right time. I don't fly well enough to be sure I'd be there, and for that reason I should not be included in the dive, at least not in a late diver slot. (I could go early diver or base without much of a problem.) If I WAS on the load, I might ruin the dive but I wouldn't hurt you.

Cheers,
Jon

Yes, currency is a big factor.

You don't hear to many stories of the pros getting hurt and they make 1,000 jumps a year.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think currency also depends on what you're doing in the sport.

I don't feel very current when I only do Tandems once amonth even if I've been jumping my ass off the rest of the time.

If I go two weeks without making a jump, I feel making a very high performance landing on my canopies is not smart, I'll back it off a bit.

That is a very good point. When I am most current doing tandems, I am least current at AFF, wingsuit, and camera suit.

I had a friend nicely approach me and ask what the heck was up with my pattern flying. I had started "owning" the pattern while flying my sport rig as if I was flying the tandem rig. (Big "S" turns while on final).

Currency in general is important, but so is currency in type.