lawrocket

Which skydiving discipline has the most hardcore following?

I look through these forums, and it seems that there are some pretty hardcore groups in skydiving. Yeah, I deliberately eliminated BASE in recognition of it's own unique characteristics.

It seems to me that CRW (the dark side) and Wingsuit (nylon crack) folks are the most hardcore devoted to their disciplines. Maybe because it's there are not as many doing it, but when I get back into the sport, considering how much they outwardly enjoy it, I'm thinking I wanna ulimately aim for those disciplines (yeah, an 18 jump chump looking to the future;)).

Tell me what, in your opinion, makes your primary discipline better than others. Sell me.

edited to add: I understand that I left out freestyle, board, etc. I did this because of the demographics surrounding it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Why limit yourself.....

For the same reason I limited myself in law school to doing what was necessary to join the FBI. What's life if you don't get sidetracked? I'd love to do birdman. How cool would it be to end up doing RW cuz it turns out I love it?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Swooping?
speed=adrenaline=fun - can be added at the end of any skydive. Nailing the gates just right and achieving a great swoop is pure pleasure.
RW
competing with others
FF
looking at the world upside down
CRW (CF)
an adrenaline rush that lasts for minutes, yet teaches you LOADS about your canopy
WS
havent tried this yet (scared to)-the suits are spendy $$
Camera
Pays for my fun jumps, or records my friends on our fun jumps

why not try to be good at more than one discipline? I have traveled around a bit, I have found DZ's that were primarily one discipline and if you dont have the skills to play with others in that discipline then you will be flying solo.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Well, considering it will be a while until you can fly a wingsuit and do CReW, why not just focus on your belly skills, and take a canopy control course after you get your license. This will enable you to fly with others and make some fun group jumps and reduce the potential for landing mistakes.

I have met people that are hardcore in every discipline. In my short experience it seems to me that people will naturally gravitate towards others they get along well with and end up working on the skills to jump with them more often then others, whether they be freefliers or bellyfliers.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Which skydiving discipline has the most hardcore following?

Define "hardcore".

Tell me what, in your opinion, makes your primary discipline better than others.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

No discipline is better than any other discipline. It's whatever you enjoy doing that counts.

Just being skydivers we're already in a class by ourselves.

Please.....

There are murderers, rapists and other of that ilk around our class. I'd rather not think that all skydiveres are part of the same class thank you very much...
Remster

I was referring more to the fact that he doesn't have his license, doesn't own his own gear, and likely has some currency issues based on his profile. I am sure that he can find CReW specific gear to borrow, esp in SoCal given the large amount of skydivers out there, but he probably should work on getting the basics down first.

I am all for learning CReW, in fact I just hooked up with a couple jumpers from Brush in Eloy that can get me involved with it when I get to CO in a couple weeks... but first things first, wouldn't you agree?
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

IMO, alot of the RW guys at my DZ. I was out there a few weeks ago when the temp was in the mid 30s (In Texas!)and they were the only ones getting in the plane!.

Yea, the FF'ers whined about it being 0 degrees at altitude that day. If I remember that weekend I got 17 jumps in!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP