lynxie

softest opening possible

my old maveric that took around a 1000 feet to open was pretty damn soft, yet sometimes scary.

1000 feet!?
Hell, that would be a neck snapper on my Unit 3!

Exit at 12.5....
Throw the PC and work the RW.
hopefully start to get some snivel at track time,
in the saddle at 1500' every time!B|

"Looks Good, Works Good, Lasts a Long Time!":P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

my old maveric that took around a 1000 feet to open was pretty damn soft, yet sometimes scary.

My jumped out Avenger some times took over 1200ft to open, but it always opened:D

I knew it was time to change it when the DZ banned me from jumping it (Note. the CCI sold it to me)

So I bought a Skylark an the fucker blew up on the third jump!!!

Gone fishing

> Which do you think gives you the softest opening possible?

Anything can under the right conditions. I can remember a 1 second delay off a low bridge, on a BASE main with no slider, that opened pretty softly. No airspeed to speak of (<20mph.)

is s/l-openings with student gear soft?

Yes, they sure can be - which is not always a good thing. A SL is a sub-terminal deployment, and when a Student is still on a static line, they may or may not know the difference between "a slower than usual opening" or a Streamer. When I pack the Rigs at our DZ for SL students, I make sure to leave the nose wide open, and a hardly roll anything.
=========Shaun ==========

is s/l-openings with student gear soft?

Yes, they sure can be - which is not always a good thing. A SL is a sub-terminal deployment, and when a Student is still on a static line, they may or may not know the difference between "a slower than usual opening" or a Streamer. When I pack the Rigs at our DZ for SL students, I make sure to leave the nose wide open, and a hardly roll anything.

Agreed, all too many times have I thrown SL students that were pro packed with the nose and tail rolled that produce a 5-10 second delay from a static line. I too pack the same way with SL students, make sure it opens and it's out there. The longer it takes to open, the more time they have to screw something up
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I've never personally used this and am not promoting it or anything but am just putting the info out there. I watched Tom Giles demonstrate his new thing last weekend in order to make a video for the PIA demonstration. The video was done by Lee Morrow. It's like a small drogue/air-anchor that attaches to the rear risers and initiates immediately upon deployment to reduce "snatch force" and opening shock. It works in conjunction with the existing slider. It will be shown at the PIA Symposium in Jacksonville, FL on Jan 15. I asked him about making it collapse like a slider but he said that would complicate it and up the cost. He was collapsing it with rubber bands when I saw it. He said, though that he was going to make it detachable with quick releases for swoopers and the like. He said it makes a terminal opening feel like a sub-terminal one every time. Again, I have no idea if it's worth a damn yet or not but it looked interesting.

Open Softer