Skolls081102

The right time for beer?

Ok, this is probably a stupid newbie question, but I am going to ask anyway. I've been reading the forums for a few months now, and have seen people referance buying beer for the DZ after certain situations. But for the life of me, I can't figure out for what reasons you have to buy beer. So my question is, when do you buy beer for the DZ?
After your first tandem? Your completion of AFF? Not landing at the DZ? I am so confused...:S
Any help in this highly important matter would be greatly appreciated. :)

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Do a search on "beer rules" and you will find LOTS of information. The simple version is, you buy beer for "firsts."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Okies since I am a noob also I will give you the 1st two:

1) When you graduate AFF, one case to the DZyou graduate at.

2) 1st jump after you get your "A" license.

Also remebr this statement "Wow that's the 1st time I have ever done that skydiving" that's also formally known as I am buying :D

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

See now thats exactly what I mean. Whats "The Beer Line at the LZ?" I'm assuming LZ= Landing Zone, but exactly where is this Beer line you referance?
And how do I put one of those beer symbols in the post (instead of the :)

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Hi skolls,
If you havn't figgured it out by now,"All, and I do mean 'all', skydivers are LUSHES!!!!!!!!!!" Whiskey, beer and reefer, dey' ain't proud or tired!!!! You give 'em half an excuse and they will drain you dry of your hard earned cash to satisfy their gluttony!!

So, where do you stand in the line up?? Lurk, lurk, who's got a "first" at the DZ today, "CASE OF BEER!!" Hell, they could care less, they just want to snivle beer!! Beer rule #1 really is,"Never turn down free anything!!" especially free beer!! And if they can con you into buying, then they save their $$$. Get it??

As far as skydiving tradition, a couple of the oldest "gotta furnish beer" situations are #1 for dropping a ripcord (unless you have a mal). You buy beer!! (pull out/throw out pilot chutes retired this one) #2 from B.C. (before Cypress) when getting your SCR (look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls) you bought beer for the skydivers that were on the load with you(all other lurkers could get the dreggs of the case ,if any, but the bulk of the beer went to the SCR load!!).

Do some research and lurk!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

So my question is, when do you buy beer for the DZ?

From a Billvon post of over 3 years ago.
Definitely worth revisiting!
Thank you for reminding me of this, and for asking the question!

One of the Ten things that may keep you alive:

9. Buy your beer. It sounds like a selfish tradition, designed to punish new jumpers. It's a whole lot more than that, though. The key is that, if you buy the beer and give it to people, they will ask you what it's for, and you will end up talking to people (up to 23) about what just happened. Since this usually happens at some significant time (say, right after your first cutaway) this is a really important time to talk about what just happened without being embarrassed about it. (Well, maybe you will be anyway, but tough.)

On the flip side - if someone buys beer for the DZ, and you're an experienced jumper, don't just grab a bottle and run. Find out who bought it and why they bought it. That beer isn't quite free - the price is that you have to pass on the knowledge that _you_ first learned when it seemed like you were buying a case every other weekend.

Click HERE for the entire post/thread re-read.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

See now thats exactly what I mean. Whats "The Beer Line at the LZ?" I'm assuming LZ= Landing Zone, but exactly where is this Beer line you referance?
And how do I put one of those beer symbols in the post (instead of the :)

Many dropzones have a beer line in the landing zone. They tend to be just beyond the closest possible landing spot, safety driven. The LZ briefing should indicate where they are.

Also, some of us non-drinkers are completely comfortable buying a case of some other beverage if we get beered.

The beer line is almost always a safety related line, which you are not supposed to land across. At our DZ is is next to the ditches, close to the taxiway and tarmac. It delineates jumper places from airplane places.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Well, I think I got a good idea about when the right time is to buy beer.
Too bad I'm not a drinker :o But hey, I wouldn't stop anyone from enjoying themselves. Once I get strated jumping this summer, I'll have to remember all these rules. Would't want to let the DZ fridge get low on stock!! :)Thanks for all the replies everyone.