AndyMan

Past injuries requiring treatment

I'm curious how people have injured themselves.

3 quesions, all in one poll.

Back, Neck, Shoulder, Arm or leg/ankle?

Broken/fractured or sprained/strained/torn?

Exit, freefall, or landing?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Never hook the downwind side of a building!

p.s. if you think it's humiliating to have people watch you hurt yourself, I'm here to tell you it's worse when no one sees you and you spend 5 mins dragging youself to the hanger!:D
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Well, you know my answer. We met on the evening of my first shoulder dislocation, and we've been together ever since! (How romantic.) I'm so happy you stuck with yer broken-wing SweetPea. ;)

Two right shoulder dislocations, both at landing (flare). Did NOT reach out for the ground and fall on my arm. I just yanked my own arm out with brute force! :o Let's hope surgery fixed that problem.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I badly sprained an ankle when I swooped into the edge of a ditch last year (miscalculated approach and wrongly assumed it's ok to go a bit longer). Didn't get x-rays, but it's quite possible something was cracked as well.
Second worst injury was a dislocated knee on exit (bad count, the guy I was jumping with pulled me out and my right leg kinda got left in the plane B|). Don't remember if it was the same knee, but one of them got twisted on a dirtdive that year as well (2003 really sucked for my legs).

Landing: Broken fibula requiring titanium. 1997 - 1400 jumps post surgery.
Freefall: More of a hard opening actually causing damage to the discs between C5,6 and 7 resulting in surgery to fuse them together with bone plugs and titanium brace. 2001 - 1000 jumps post surgery.
Do not scatter my ashes. You might hurt somebody ;)

Foggy

Jump no 266. First jump back at 5000feet asl after spending two months at Perris.

90 deg riser turn to final, planed out high so went to double fronts to maintain the speed and held them till i hit the ground.

Result: Broken right fib/tib. six screws and a plate in the right side and a single screw in the left side.

Six months out of the sport.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

First post-cat8 jump, doing a celebratory two way with my instructor, when i went to track away which popped my shoulder out. It was my right shoulder so i couldn't pull my ripcord - so followed reserve drills with one hand, one handed canopy ride, and flaring with both toggles in one hand. Thankfully managed to pop it back in once i'd got my rig off! Getting cat8 and then being grounded in one day - total bummer!

November 2004 - Broken tib/fib along with some dislocation action from a botched uphill landing on a low-wind day. Eight screws plus a titanium beef-up plate. Got back in the air with a hop-n-pop on Safety Day.

About a month ago - Bruised ribs from a hard opening, got them x-rayed just to be on the safe side. The x-ray tech was pretty cool, when we were talking about how the injury happened, she said she'd always wanted to try it, and asked if I had a card.

Easy Does It

I would have liked a NONE option personally

Me too, me too, since the title of this thread is 'past injuries requiring treatment' - though I can always use a back / shoulder rub... :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

You forgot to add Hand/Finger. I still have a pin in my thumb from three years ago. Stupid wet grass.>:(
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Where's the choice for heart????

I compound fracture my femur, and tore my aorta. It was a mistake that I made on my landing. I did something I said I would never do, and I have very little memory of why. Got lucky and was able to start jumping again 4 months later.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM