mjosparky

Bogus Riggers

Yeah, the one you are refering to is packing "under supervision" of his dad. Therefore his dad was signing off on the repacks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That whole concept of "packing under the supervision of a licensed rigger" is a grey area. Interpretation varies widely from one DZ to the next.
For example, I was laid off from one loft because I refused to sign on top of repacks done by a guy who had no intention of every testing for a riggers' rating.
On the other hand, a chat with the local FAA DPRE confirmed that he believed that the whole concept of "packing under the supervision of a licensed rigger" was only for training purposes (i.e. 20 supervised pack jobs required before the Senior Rigger test). We agreed that if someone packed more than 30 reserves "under supervision" then something was wrong.

In conclusion, I will cheerfully supervise a rigger apprentice on the first 20 reserve repacks, but when he exceeds 30 "under supervision" he has worn out his welcome in my loft.

Unfortuantually... there is that pesky age requirement to get the rigging ticket. That means that someone still has to supervise under age people even if they already have 100 repacks and could pass every rigging test today.

Silly FAA paperwork sometimes :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

So, what if I've run the name of someone through the data base, and it doesn't show up? And yet he claims he is a senior rigger. He also doesn't have his pm's turned on, and there's no email listed. What now? I am not really comfortable "outting" someone in this area, because I know less than squat about how long it takes to get a rigger's ticket entered into the data base, and things like that. And isn't there a step before senior rigger, and wouldn't that have shown up? Or? What am I missing?

And I made sure the system was working, because I ran Vinny Palmieri (my rigger) through, and it came up with everything from soup to nuts, including the fact he wears glasses.

Any suggestions?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ah, thanks, Phree. Do you know how long it would take to get into the database? I know, for example, that it takes soemthing like 2 months for us to get our licenses...do you know if it's the same for riggers, or is it more automatic?

Ciels-
Michele

I think people should be held accountable. If they falsely claim a Rigger's rating, Instructional rating, etc, they should be reveled. Care should be taken to make sure they really do not have the rating, and if possible, given the chance, privately, to correct their profile/claims.

For example, hpalmer claims to be;

Static Line: Instructor/Examiner
IAD: Instructor/Examiner
Tandem: Jumpmaster
Rigging Qualifications
Back: Master Rigger
Chest: Master Rigger
Seat: Master Rigger
Lap: Master Rigger

He isn't an Instructor/Examiner, nor Master Rigger, nor does he have seat, lap or chest ratings, only Senior Rigger for Back.

He is the DZO of "High Sky Adventures" and was the pilot of this aircraft: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20030107X00026&key=1

:|

Derek

Ah, thanks, Phree. Do you know how long it would take to get into the database? I know, for example, that it takes soemthing like 2 months for us to get our licenses...do you know if it's the same for riggers, or is it more automatic?

"We are currently processing permanent Airmen Certificates with an approximate issue date of November 30th, 2003 ."

Derek

Phree, thanks again. I don't have those names you mentioned, so I can't test it that way.

Derek, thanks. It seems they are about 60 days behind, give or take a few. I don't know when they took the test, if they did, so I suspect I will wait for a bit to see if the information doesn't change.

I'd hate to out someone without being totally sure of myself, you know? That would suck. I will be patient.

Ciels-
Michele

Pilots may opt-out of appearing in publicly accessible databases. I assume riggers can do the same. Just because a rigger isn't listed doesn't necessarily mean he is not a rigger. Or is that not the case?

How can a pilot or rigger opt out of being listed? Not saying they can't, I just didn't know they could and don't know how they could. I am a pilot and rigger and I don't think I was ever given the option. Is there a box that I could have checked or something?

Derek

That gives the rating holder the option to not have their address listed, but they are still listed with their ratings even if you fill out the form;

"Change Releasability Status of your Mailing Address

The Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, in addition to other statutory requirements, requires us to make airmen certificate information available to the public. Airmen meeting the active criteria are sent a notification of these requirements, and are given the opportunity to withhold their address information from release. If your address appears in this data base and you would like to remove it, or if it does not appear and you would like to add it, you may write or email us your preference. You may provide us with your preference at any time."

So there is no way not to be listed, only option is to not have your address listed.

Derek

I should learn to read, huh?

But down at the bottom of that same page:

(1) IN GENERAL--Subject to paragraph (2) and notwithstanding any other provision of law, the information contained in the records of contents of any airman certificate issued under this section that is limited to an airman's name, address, and ratings held shall be made available to the public after the 120th day following the date of the enactment of the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century.

2) OPPORTUNITY TO WITHHOLD INFORMATION--Before making any information concerning an airman available to the public under paragraph (1), the airman shall be given an opportunity to elect that the information not be made available to the public.

Maybe?

Dave

I scrolled down a bit and found this:

"Public Availability of Airmen Records
H.R.1000

SEC. 715. PUBLIC AVAILABILITY OF AIRMEN RECORDS.

Section 44703 is amended--

(1) by redesignating subsections (c) through (f) as subsections (d) through (g), respectively; and

(2) by inserting after subsection (b) the following:

(c) PUBLIC INFORMATION--

(1) IN GENERAL--Subject to paragraph (2) and notwithstanding any other provision of law, the information contained in the records of contents of any airman certificate issued under this section that is limited to an airman's name, address, and ratings held shall be made available to the public after the 120th day following the date of the enactment of the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century.

(2) OPPORTUNITY TO WITHHOLD INFORMATION--Before making any information concerning an airman available to the public under paragraph (1), the airman shall be given an opportunity to elect that the information not be made available to the public.

(3) DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF PROGRAM--Not later than 60 days after the date of the enactment of the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, the Administrator shall develop and implement, in cooperation with representatives of the aviation industry, a one-time written notification to airmen to set forth the implications of making information concerning an airman available to the public under paragraph (1) and to carry out paragraph (2). The Administrator shall also provide such written notification to each individual who becomes an airman after such date of enactment.

For the complete official text of the entire Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, please click on this link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Releasable Airmen Database Available for Download

In accordance with Section 715 of the Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, the Airmen Certification Branch is releasing a database containing the addresses and pertinent certificate information for those airmen who have not requested that such information be withheld from public release. Click on this link to go to the download site for the Releasable Airmen Database. The CD-ROM version of this database is no longer available as of 18 January 2001.

PLEASE NOTE: This information does NOT include certificate number data for any airmen."

I'll have to read it a couple more times and try to translate the FAA-ese, but it looks like all information can be withheld.

Derek

Its possible that the people you are trying to search for have moved since they got their ticket and forgot to notify the FAA of their new address... I had to use my old address to find my name... Whoops

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Its possible that the people you are trying to search for have moved since they got their ticket and forgot to notify the FAA of their new address... I had to use my old address to find my name... Whoops

All you need is the last name and a partial first name.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals