firewater

Physical Training for AFF course

G'day all! Just wanted to pose a quick question to all you knowledgeable folk. I made my first tandem dive two years ago, and have made 2 more since. I'm finally going to be in the position to do an AFF course at my local dropzone this summer.

I've been somewhat inactive for the past few months and I've found myself somewhat out of shape. I joined a local gym because of a sweet deal, and I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kinds of things I should focus on in order to physically prepare for a successful AFF program. I'm not what you'd call exceptionally athletic, but I'm no couch potato either. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks much
UCSC's very own FLYINGSLUGS!

1st: Good overall health is important, as well as overall endurance.

2nd: Flexability. If stretching bores you, check out yoga.

3rd: Did I mention overall health yet?

4th: Basic strength is needed, but you don't have to be superman. Remember that you're going to be shouldering a 25lbs rig every jump and you're body may take some tumbles on landing, so strength conditioning is a good step. Nevermind that you use all of your body to fly in the air, so having some strength conditioning will help you as well.

I highly recommend Body For Life (the book, not the contest), it'll help you achieve a good solid overall fitness level through proper nutrition and excersize. That is the biggest key to being able to "go the distance" skydiving. Be sure to stretch as well.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Upper body strength (some canopies have heavy "toggle pressure", the stronger you are the less you'll notice it), abs/lower back strength (arching) and endurance/cardio (so you can do more jumps in a day and not tire as fast) in addition to what Dave suggested.

Not saying that being in shape is a bad idea, but seriously, take a look around the dropzone. You'll find people of many shapes. Some work out like crazy, others sit at computers all day long. I know that skydiving works muscles I don't use on a daily basis so I'm sore after a busy weekend of jumping. But I just don't think any special excersize routine (or yoga) is necessary to get through AFF. Afterall, we're just falling. :P Again, if you wanna excersize, you're better off. But it's probably not necessary.

Dave

You don't need a lot of muscle to skydive, just overall fitness and flexibility.
Hint, the winter before I took the PFF (Canadian program similar to AFF) Instructor course, I did an hour of aerobic dance three times a week. Cardio kick boxing or any of the martial arts also provides good general conditioning.
Most types of dancing are good because they improve cardio endurance and teach you where your feet are ... an expensive learning curve in freefall. In other words, it is much less expensive to learn where your feet are/what they are doing on the ground than at 8,000 feet.
Pilates and tai chi may be pleasant morning warm ups, but they are not fast enough to condition you for skydiving.

Well, despite what pilotdave says, I found I had a HUGE physical limitation to deal with. Not enough upper body strength to flare properly. Pushups and working out with light weights fixed that up in no time. When I first started doing the pushups I could barely do 2. Now I do about 25 to 30 a day. Quite an improvement in just a few short months (started skydiving in November). The flexibility is really important too, but basically you will know exactly what you need as soon as you do your first AFF. . .

Enjoy. . .its a lot of fun. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Thanks for all the great advice all. I'll check out that Body for Life book. When I was working at a bookstore it was pretty popular. Anyway, great feedback folks :) Heard great things about Yoga too, so I'll give that a look. Many thanks!

Not saying that being in shape is a bad idea, but seriously, take a look around the dropzone. You'll find people of many shapes. Some work out like crazy, others sit at computers all day long. I know that skydiving works muscles I don't use on a daily basis so I'm sore after a busy weekend of jumping.

Us new divers probably benefit most from abdominal exercises to strengthen the lower back and abs. The hard arch, coupled with our nervous rigidity is a bit hard on the body there. I've been very sore on the days after. Other than that, the lighter we are, the easier the landings, less painful if we misjudge a bit. Basic cardio work to trim the fat.

From what I've been hearing, streching is the way to go. Any specific areas which should be targeted? I'd figure legs, back, and arms would be key for a good arch and safe landings. Any kind of regular skydiving regimes practiced regularly by the pros? Thanks again for all the great feedback, this seems like a fantastic forum :)

You don't need a lot of muscle to skydive, just overall fitness and flexibility.
Hint, the winter before I took the PFF (Canadian program similar to AFF) Instructor course, I did an hour of aerobic dance three times a week. for skydiving.

Come on, tell the truth, Rob. You took dance because of all the girls in the course, right? (come on, people look up to you as a role model, you know, don't let 'em down).

Anyways, that's just another kind of fitness.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Okay Skypuppy,

You saw right through me.

I will admit that being in a room full of sweaty, spandex-clad is my favorite place - aside for the open door of an airplane of course.
All those spandex-clad women sure motivate a guy! No matter how tired and winded he is, a guy doesn't dare slow down for a second in a room full of athletic women.

Okay Skypuppy,

You saw right through me.

I will admit that being in a room full of sweaty, spandex-clad is my favorite place - aside for the open door of an airplane of course.
All those spandex-clad women sure motivate a guy! No matter how tired and winded he is, a guy doesn't dare slow down for a second in a room full of athletic women.

The one thing that would have benefitted me more than anything else for the initial AFF jumps was flexibility. Sure strength and stamina are important too, but for me, it was that flexibility that I needed more than anything.

I'm working regularly to extend and stretch all the areas associated with holding a good arch. I was stiff as a board when I tried Level 3 for the first time. A skysurfer could have used me beneath his feet.

I'm hoping these stretches will work to give me the confidence to eventually push through to level 8.

Good luck with your AFF.B|
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

The majority of students that fail an AFF level do so because they are tense. Try something to get in the mode of relaxation - the key to this is subconscious, not conscious, relaxation. Get your muscles to "learn" to relax.

Here's one that I did. Go to the pool at your gym and float face-down. Arch your pelvis, exhale all your air and sink to the bottom of the pool. Make sure the lifeguard knows you are not trying to commit suicide :P Do this several times per visit - I repeated this 20 times a day. Your body will become conditioned to relaxing when you arch and exhale. Then when you jump, your body will be more relaxed and the air will push your limbs into a symmetrical position.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

6 months to a year of martail arts should do you good. you'll strenghten your whole body, especially back and abs. you'll get a whole body stretch. you'll learn muscle memory....like holding a body position. sparring will improve your reflexes and hand eye coordination. you'll also learn to relax and focus.......good luck and fly safe baby!

people see me as a challenge to their balance

martial arts is a good way to stay in shape and get flexable.... i am short and chunky but majorly flexable thanks to shotokan... but i woulld not say hold off on AFF cause you are out of shape. If you exercise at all, and have some stregnth then you can do it.

I found aff was more of a mental challenge. I still feel the same about skydiving... but then again i PT with rotc 4 days a week and train shotokan 3 nights a week.

but whatever you do, dont over do yourslef. In other words dont do to much to fast. That is how people get hurt.

good luck with AFF..... and remeber to smile...
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Thanks for the great replys. I've been at the gym a bit, but recently twisted my ankle something rough. should be better in a few days but still annoying. [:/] Going to try a Yoga class when ankle heals, I hear great things about it,

Isometric exercises might help too. I've been doing the one where you sit against the wall and hold it there until you almost collapse. You can do it with push ups and sit ups too.
I find it helps if you relax and concentrate on your breathing as you do it.
If you want a good book why look anywhere else than Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, you won’t need anything else. But be prepared to sweat like a pig!
:P:ph34r:

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic