Sled14

Fact: All Skydivers Have Hard Landings

Hey I'm a student during cat d now and am wondering about the fact that I read in the SIM that all skydivers have hard landings.
I was wondering if these are related to flaring too soon or other factors? Other than flaring too early what can cause hard landings, like turbulance?

What about spraining ankles and crap like that? I'm wondering because in about a month I will be at school about 250 miles away, and every other week or so am going to make it back to the dropzone to jump, but if I screw my ankle up it would mess up transportation for me

jUST wondering how often they occur

What about spraining ankles and crap like that? I'm wondering because in about a month I will be at school about 250 miles away, and every other week or so am going to make it back to the dropzone to jump, but if I screw my ankle up it would mess up transportation for me

jUST wondering how often they occur

I haven't sprained my ankle, or broken it (or anything else) skydiving. YMMV

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can hurt youself on any jump - statistics really dont matter when it comes to something like this. In this sport, shit can (and often does) just happen.

If it's going to mean the end of your studies perhaps you should rethink your part in skydiving until you can (somewhat) afford to be injured - obviously no one plans to be injured and it's a pain in the ass to most people's jobs etc, but if it means not being able to study at all it could be a massive problem.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Hi Sled

You can sprain/break you ankle landing on uneven ground, plowed field, walking into a gopher hole, landing off the DZ (bad spot), winds pick up after TO, get cut off on final etc.

Shit happens:( If you can't afford to pay, don't play :ph34r:.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

The only time I've injured myself on a dropzone was kicking a football to a dog. Screwed my ankle up so badly I couldn't jump for a month, but hey, thats just life y'know?

It might happen or it might not, thats just the risk you take.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

YMMV, but I know plenty of people that have never had to make a trip to the hospital during their skydiving careers, myself included.

If your profile is correct, I think you're speaking very soon.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

1.17 wingload at 199 jumps? I think it's within normal guidelines from what I've been reading?

[Ooops. Edit: Just noticed the "Swooping" part... Hmm... I don't know if that meant simple straight-in turf surfs with no front risers (you can still "swoop" 40-50 feet that way, maybe an abuse of the word "swooping"?), or he wants to do it as a future discipline, or that he's already doing 270's.]

Y'know. I might have the broken ankle checkout dive eventually. Or worse. I'm not infallible.

I'm at the jump numbers that might make me complacent. But I just witnessed a D-licensed jumper hurt himself this weekend. Riser slap in his unhelmetted face during opening (I believe). Makes me think...

Nontheless, I carry on...

YMMV, but I know plenty of people (that have more jumps than you) that have never had to make a trip to the hospital during their skydiving careers.

If your profile is correct, I think you're speaking very soon.

t

I fixed it...

and keep the negative vibes to yourself bro, the world's got enough of them already.

I see no correlation between someone that wants to build the skills required for swooping a high performance canopy properly and the odds of going to the hospital. If anything it would be inversely proportional due the extensive coaching and the realization that you can't learn this stuff overnight.

But, what do I know, I'm just a tourist, right?
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Have you ever fallen due to a hard landing?

I've fallen on pretty much every particularly hard landing. That's why I can get back up and walk away.

"Hard landing" is a relative term. Anyone who has stood up all of their landings is almost certainly really lucky, or can count their jumps on their digits (maybe using some twice), or is jumping very conservatively.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As most people have said already, you can hurt yourself on any jump even when you do everything right. In that regard I feel that it is important to be prepared for a hard landing at anytime as to minimize the 'damage'. When I had my accident, I am glad that when I realized I was going to hit hard the first thing I thought was 'plf'. And that was my only hard landing (ie not stand up) in my past 70 jumps). Ever since then it has been a constant thought in my mind when coming in on final.

Disclaimer: low jump number guy

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'