Amazon

How much freefall time do tandems REALLLLY get??.

A Local DZ sells their tandem jumps for $215 to 10,000 ft for a 30 second freefall.

Their marketing goes like this.

The tandem package costs $215 but if you pay cash it will only be $205 because we will give you a $10 discount.

Now if you want to DOUBLE your freefall time you can buy the EXTRA ALTITUDE package... for only $25 dollars more.

Now if you show up on the weekend when the Caravan is running, and you purchase the EXTRA ALTITUDE package for $25.. we will throw in an extra 1000 ft for free. That will give you a full 70 seconds of freefall.

MAN those must be some big ass droughes they are using north of Seattle... or is my freefall math all screwed up..

Tandem Masters... got any input on this one??

A Local DZ sells their tandem jumps for $215 to 10,000 ft for a 30 second freefall.

Their marketing goes like this.

The tandem package costs $215 but if you pay cash it will only be $205 because we will give you a $10 discount.

Now if you want to DOUBLE your freefall time you can buy the EXTRA ALTITUDE package... for only $25 dollars more.

Now if you show up on the weekend when the Caravan is running, and you purchase the EXTRA ALTITUDE package for $25.. we will throw in an extra 1000 ft for free. That will give you a full 70 seconds of freefall.

MAN those must be some big ass droughes they are using north of Seattle... or is my freefall math all screwed up..

Tandem Masters... got any input on this one??

Not a TM...but 70 sec. of freefall time ?!

Here in Holland tandems usually open their chute at approx. 5000 feet. That would mean an exit altitude of about 18.000 feet !?
Would you not need (at least on board) extra O2 ?!

Rob

O.K. It says 30-60 seconds. From 13000 my times have been between 45 and 51 seconds with speeds between 125 and 130. I do pull at 6000 and also weigh more than the other tandem masters so 60 isnt unreasonable.

"If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive."
Josh Whipple 7/15/70-2/10/05

It's 9000 feet from what I recollect. You pay an extra $25 and double your free fall time. If you are there for a Caravan ride, it usually goes to 13000 feet. The TIs generally open at 5000 feet. 9000 - 5000 = 4000 feet of free fall. 13000 - 5000 = 8000 feet of free fall. Last I checked 8000 feet is double the free fall :P

It's also not uncommon to go above 13000 in a Caravan load. It's a little marketing hype but not far from the truth.

:)
Eric

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

Not a TM...but 70 sec. of freefall time ?!

Here in Holland tandems usually open their chute at approx. 5000 feet. That would mean an exit altitude of about 18.000 feet !?
Would you not need (at least on board) extra O2 ?!

Rob

Tandems always open around 5000ft.
Did a tandem last weekend from 15000ft
(due to a weather delay the pilot decided to climb further)
This was about 60seconds freefall (pro-track):o
And
IT WAS COLD!!!:(

Normally we drop between 10.000 and 13.000ft

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Where we jumped the 15,000 foot dive boasts a 70 second freefall at around 120mph and the jump we ourselves took there was for the 18,000 foot dive with about a 90 second freefall.

They claim this is the highest in the world as far as tandems go.... any truth to that?

Skydive Space Center

I was very impressed by the speed in which we got up that high. That lil plane did the trick quite well.

Jeanne:

Well, since I mainly jump at Hollister, and you know Tim gives an honest 15,000 MSL or better every time...my tandem freefall times normally vary from 55 to 70 seconds, depending on the time of year (in winter, I'm wearing the heaviest jumpsuit on the face of the earth) and the size of the student (me and a 220 student is pretty ballistic, me and a 105 pound girl...well, we're alittle less ballistic ;)).

But if you guys are getting 70 seconds from 11K...hold me a slot on the next Caravan load, I'll be right there! :P
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

the jump we ourselves took there was for the 18,000 foot dive with about a 90 second freefall.

I'm just a newbie, but aren't you supposed to have mandatory O2 above 15,000 ft? I seem to remember reading that somewhere... If I'm wrong please correct me. Thanks.

Oh and sorry about the hijack :S

They claim this is the highest in the world as far as tandems go.... any truth to that?

Not quite. Many DZs do tandems at 18, and they often write it as highest in the world. Hollister used to do that, if they still don't do, but earlier this year when I did a 24k load there they had one tandem going. Pretty reasonably priced too, unlike one of the HALO outfits charging *thousands* for it (maybe 30k instead of 24).

[url

]It's funny how people defend their home DZ no matter what. It's like a cute mini skyride thread here

I wonder if the same kind of talk goes on on thier .. own chat area about things like this.. as the ASC people do on thiers.

I always thought tellin the truth was kind of fun:)
Especially when telling it pisses off a real interesting set of.. uh incongruities.:)
The Math just does not add up...I have jumped with a LOT of tandems.. and I have ZERO problem falling with them.. and not going low on them..and I dont exactly fall really slow if you know what I mean.

Yeah I just LOVE all the up to date info here too Video is $90
and if you add up the numbers above.. $215 plus $25... hmmmmmm

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/631.shtml

Hi amazon

I like the new math if a 4000' freefall tandem is good for 30 secs. Than a 8000' freefall tandem ride is good for 60 sec due to falling twice the distance! Glad people don't use stop watch's to determine pull time any more.:)
Damn if the first 1000' takes 10 seconds than 4000 ft should take...... and 8000' should take ........80 seconds.

R.I.P.

Dave,

Earlier this year there was a fatality at the DZ she is referring to. This person had 200 jumps and toggled it in to avoid powerlines. This jumper pretty much did everything wrong including boarding the plane with the wind conditions. No disrespect to the deceased as I knew him and he was a good guy.

Amazon took the opportunity this tragety presented to her to bash the dropzone when it was at its most vulnerable. Accusations were made regarding the safety of the DZ and how it was somehow the dropzone's fault for this persons bad decisions.

In case people are not getting what I am talking about I will simplify it. A skydivers DEATH was used to further a PERSONAL VENDETTA when the blood hadn't even dried yet.

There was an issue between the DZO and Amazon some time ago, which led to her being banned from the DZ. I really dont care what it was about, as the way she has acted since then has removed any doubt of who deals with conflict well. She has since then taken every opportunity to paint the DZ is a unfavorable light due to her personal issues.

I am not "defending" my DZ, but merely giving you ALL the information that you people need to make an INFORMED decision in order to LEGITIMIZE this persons TRUE motivations.

Keep diggin Amazon. The hole will eventually be bottomless. Move on.

You're reading the discussion wrong here, not surprisingly given that you probably don't know whats really going on on a personal level. I don't work at SPC and have no need to defend the DZ, I just like to see good vibes and good times. Fuck the politics and the smartass attitudes. BTW whats ASC and how does it fit in here?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Well I coulda suggested that she drop it since bashing a DZ doesn't really do any good and even though I don't know anything about the situation, I can read enough to guess what's going on here. And so could everyone else reading this thread. But it was ONLY people from that particular dropzone that suggested she forget about it. Why is that? Why is it that only people from SkyRide dropzones stand up for them? I'm just entertained by it. I don't care about this situation. Almost every dropzone in the US has a website that stretches the truth about safety, their facilities, aircraft, staff, freefall time, etc. It's lies, but usually only little white lies.

So why not say "yeah, the dropzone's website has some little white lies on it, but who cares, everybody does it" instead of "get over it?"

I just did a google search for "70 seconds of freefall" to find some other dropzones that make the same claim. Most of em are fake Skyride DZs. But I even found a real one that claims "70-90 seconds of freefall" for a tandem.

I also did a search for "skydive perfect safety record." Found one DZ that, in the snippet from google said "We currently have a perfect safety record (zero injuries! ..." To my surprise, when I went to that page to read more, they had changed it because of a single student injury. It IS possible to be honest about safety. AerOhio's site has a really good page about safety, that is pretty honest. Other DZs have qualified the "perfect safety record" comment by adding that no students have been seriously injured or killed. And then there are PLENTY of others that just say they have a perfect safety record. Impressive.

Dave

Our website does not say on it anywhere that a tandem gets 70 seconds of freefall. Jeanne made that up. Nice one Jeanne, don't you just love tellling the truth?

So Pilotdave, the next time you want to bash our DZ and compare it to skyride (who we do not do business with) why don't you try doing a search on our particular DZ to see if Jeanne's lies are even true?

As far as the safety record thing, we explain this one over the phone that our student (and tandem) safety record is fatality free. I can see why you wouldn't want to a tell a whuffo about Spencer's incident, like Jeanne, they may not understand and feel that it was the DZ's fault.

Anyways.. The reason that I ask that this be dropped is because Jeanne has a vendetta against the DZ and DZO because she was asked to not come back to the DZ. We do not belong to some evil DZ that is out to kill skydiving. We have a good community who is sick of being misrepresented by Jeanne.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Hehe, interesting. I hadn't checked. I was not bashing the DZ, and I wasn't comparing the DZ to skyride. I was comparing the reaction of the locals to the locals of SkyRide DZs. When they get bashed, the locals defend no matter what. But of course I was assuming that the marketing described above was from their website. It's apparently from somewhere else. :P But it's gotta be true! I read it on the internet!!!

Dave