loudtom

Aff at the WFFC

Wow what a Tripppppppp!!!
Thanks to Dennis at Quad City Skydiving for giving me the oppertunity to jump and teach at the convention. My work mates were about as good as it gets. Claude and Donna and Nick and all who helped out, and Dennis who made it easy on us...
And you students were GREAT, all of you!!!!!!
Special thanks to Erin;) and JeffB|.
My first convention (I know, BEER) and I get in free and get to do aff is about as good as it gets for an instructor as far as I am concerned.
And get this, after jumping out of Paul's Casa's all week, I get to work for him and go to Florida for the winter with the CASA'S YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Thanks for the Job Paul, I won't let you down...
And lastly thanks to td for making me quit my old job and have all these great possibilities. Without knowing you helped me a ton.
The yo is moving on and glad of it yooooooooo's...
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

And lastly thanks to td for making me quit my old job and have all these great possibilities. Without knowing you helped me a ton.
The yo is moving on and glad of it yooooooooo's...

please share some details of how you were made to quit.

AFF at WFFC? only thing I had against it was that ass always parking his green Chevy trailblazer in middle of the landing area.. he should park it else where and walk...it's not that far of a walk.. guy was a idiot if you ask me....

Yo,
How about checking yourself yo. Dennis only had our students in mind and we always parked by an obstacle that you had to watch out for anyway. How bad a canopy pilot are you that you had to have a problem with a small obstacle in that huge landing area. We tried to be as careful as we could and I believe we never had a traffic problem. Think about the aff students and all the golf carts in the landing area and maybe it weren't so bad eh...
Let's try NOT to focus on the negative. Please...
Thanks and no hard openings, i mean feelings.
the yo

AFF at WFFC? only thing I had against it was that ass always parking his green Chevy trailblazer in middle of the landing area.. he should park it else where and walk...it's not that far of a walk.. guy was a idiot if you ask me....

There were tons of golf carts and 4 wheelers constantly after every load with people trying to help and get people to try thier gear and demo thier stuff... did you miss all that? I mean lots and lots of different stuff in the landing area!!! And again we always parked by one of those obstacles that were covered by safety fence and that people had to go around anyway. Why pick on us?

yea I agree that there were at time often were kids on 4 wheelers & golf carts but most part they stayed near side of landing zone. most time they were gone in 2 seconds...but truck was always parked out there.. yea I saw him often parked next to orange obstruction barriers...Istill think landing zone SHOULD have been off limits to 4 wheels / golf carts and trucks at all times...

ok.. ok.. I'm not going say any thing more... matter closed. thanks for sharing your point of view.
Mike

Right on!
WE all can be more aware of the low timers and thier needs.
Lets hope there is a next year???
So lets use this as a building block to make things better not just harp on the things we would like different. Sometimes we all can't have exactly what we want...If we have to park out farther we will, but if hundreds of golf carts and 4 wheelers are zipping all over the place...well
nuff said...Thanks for you input toooooo yoooooo!
Hope you find blues and no winds,
the yo

no one else ever drove anything in landing area just him.

Did you miss the mini-van parked right smack in the middle of the landing zone on Tuesday? Others didn't fare as well if you did.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

As I have discussed with many well respected and highly acclaimed people in the skydiving community, it is amazing what someone will say without being face to face or thinking before they post, that is why I very rarely post. Obviously I felt that I should respond to being called an Ass and Idiot by someone who has never met me. I see that Mr. Boland is speaking with all the experience that is needed, having a license of A-039841 with no ratings at all. If you have ever had to radio a student down from a 1st skydive or even through their career as a student (Which I have done 1000's of times) you might understand the importance of being where they are going to land and making them feel important and special (because they are). The problems we are seeing with canopy control all stem from those first jumps. Students need to be taught and not just told and then left to figure it out on their own. If you have ever been around me and listened to me radio and then debrief a student then you might have the right to criticize the way I do it. When there is a landing area the size of that Tandem/Student landing there should not be any issues of obstacles or other jumpers (which there were some scary traffic patterns and landings). It is really sad to see how many skydivers with 100's of jumps can't stand up there landings, just simply due to the fact of not flying their canopy all the way till it is done. Most people try to cover up their own inadequacies by "trying" to find fault in someone else. Think before you post and know what you are posting about.

Be Safe and Have fun! In that Order.
Dennis

PS Thanks to everyone that helped (Don Kirlin, manifest, registration, security, pilots, jumpers and most of all, my staff). I felt that we had a great group of people working together to make it as safe and fun for the students as possible. We made an ever lasting bond with our students, GREAT JOB!

Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

>When there is a landing area the size of that Tandem/Student
> landing there should not be any issues of obstacles or other
> jumpers (which there were some scary traffic patterns and landings).

I landed there a few times; with a student once. The landing area was plenty big, but I wish that car hadn't been there. People with 30 jumps jumping at the WFFC have enough to worry about without putting another obstacle in their way.

The landing area was plenty big, but I wish that car hadn't been there. People with 30 jumps jumping at the WFFC have enough to worry about without putting another obstacle in their way.

Dennis only had our students in mind and we always parked by an obstacle that you had to watch out for anyway.

As for the 30 jump people. If someone had less than 50 jumps they had to come and make a coach with us before they could jump with anyone else. If they were jumping with someone else it was to be a rated coach or higher approved by the AFF concession and could not charge for coached jump. I am not sure that the loaders checked the wrist bands as close as should have been. I have ideas how to make sure of that next year. I also feel that if we were to teach a student from start to finish, that those 2 orange fences around I think drain tile where I parked, as to not create another obstacle, should not be an issue for them either just like it isn't for you.

Thanks and Blue Skies

Tuffy

No one questioned why YOU were there radioing down your students, they questioned the presence of your truck. BIG difference.

I do understand the difference and as you read made sure that it was not an additional obstacle. Heaven forbid if anything would have happened to them, I wanted immediate access to my first aid kit, phone, etc. without carrying it everywhere. We only did 56 jumps and some of which were recurrency jumps that didn't need radio, so we are talking a very minimal time frame. It must not have been an issue since I only remember 1 person landing within about 50 yards of me.

Tuffy

I'm assuming that every person that has posted and replied to “AFF at the WFFC” is a skydiver. That means that every person has been a student at some point. I don't understand why some of you are making such a big deal about the car in the landing area. Aren't we taught to fly canopies in such a way that is safe? Making decisions our entire flight down to avoid obstacles? As a student at the WFFC I can say that having Dennis waiting for me meant that he cared for my safety. I only have 18 skydives and I managed to avoid that big green truck every single time I landed by the swoop pond. As skydivers at the convention I think that it takes an effort to be aware of what is going on. You all should have known that there were students in the skies and understood that instructors were going to do whatever it took to make sure their students became safe skydivers. I have been taught that safety is number one. And I think with safety comes a certain level of awareness. Just be smart when you're jumping. Know that there may be obstacles that you have to avoid in the landing area. With as many canopies and aircraft, etc as there are in the air at a time, concentration on your surroundings is key. If there is a truck picking up students in the landing area it must be for a reason. Perhaps I am taking such a defensive standpoint because I had the best instructors in the world. But I KNOW none of my instructors would ever do anything to jeopardize the safety of their fellow skydivers. Be aware of them and they'll be aware of you. If we're safe and we're having fun, what’s there to complain about?

I'm new to this skydiving thing and even newer to this posting thing, but I thought that AFF was a hit this year. Perhaps I'm somewhat partial, but I don't care. I had the most fun I've ever had in the air. I owe Dennis and Tom, Nick, Claude, Donna and Kenny so much, as they have taught me so much. We were safe, we had fun and next year will be even better than the last. On other postings I've read people saying that the convention is dying. It only is because people are letting it. But I know that if you were jumping with the people I was with every day you couldn't say a bad word about it. I guess we just know how to have too much fun! Thank you so much you guys. I had a blast and look forward to the next convention just as much as I always do.

I see that Mr. Boland is speaking with all the experience that is needed, having a license of A-039841 with no ratings at all

uspa license mean nothing to me at all..what's it good for? impress whuffo's? I've had my USPA D license paper work ready to mail in for over 10 years.. never bothered to mail it in.. USPA sucks if ask me...

I just dont think ANY trucks / 4 wheelers or golf carts anything else other than paramedics.. should be in a landing area period. that was my complant.

...People with 30 jumps jumping at the WFFC have enough to worry about without putting another obstacle in their way..

The guy said parked next to an existing obstacle. So he made it into a bigger obstacle...I don't see a problem with that. If he parked so that it created a second obstacle, I could understand the objection.

>That means that every person has been a student at some point. I
> don't understand why some of you are making such a big deal
> about the car in the landing area.

It's not a big deal; it was just in the way.

>Aren't we taught to fly canopies in such a way that is safe? Making
>decisions our entire flight down to avoid obstacles?

Absolutely. However, since I was once a student (and have since taken a lot of students up) I know that they can get target fixation. They are landing in the student area, then they see a car there. "Oh, damn, a car. Can't land on the car . . . can't land on the car . . ." they say, as their eyes track the car, their head follows their eyes, and their body follows their heads. We had one low shrub in the landing area where I learned that had a remarkable number of people land in it. Why? Because we told them not to, so they looked for it, then stared at it as they came in to land.

Again, it's not a big deal. I just wish it had been parked somewhere else.