Layton

reserve repacks

how many of you have your reserve packed every 120 days? im really anal about etting mine packed on time and i noticed that not everyone is as anal about this as i am.what is the longest you would jump a rig with the reserve being out of date?***stay tuned for my next episode

Repacking a reserve more than once a year is a waste of time and money, and unnecessary wear on the reserve.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

what is the longest you would jump a rig with the reserve being out of date?

This is kind of a trick question.;)

The longest I would jump a rig that was out of date is 0 days.

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

All of the above are true and I'm also in favor of at least a 180 days (which is legal in Canada), if not a year.

But let's not forget that 120 days is the LAW and that the Feds have no sense of humor about it. So who catches it in the shorts if you're caught jumping an out-of-date reserve ? First, your pilot is really screwed. Your pilot is legally responsible for making sure you're jumping legal in-date gear. They can suspend or pull your pilot's ticket, and they don't care if he/she needs that license to fly freight or passengers the rest of the week. Then they can go after the drop zone next.

It's a pain in the rear, I agree. But if we don't stay in date, we're jeopardizing people and businesses that are - or ought to be - very near and dear to us.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Although I respect the opinions of others about "unnecessary wear" and "waste of money and time" and have heard about all the studies that have been carried out that show that a reserve can be repacked for years and still open just as quickly as one that was just repacked, GET IT DONE EVERY 120 DAYS. Simple fact of the matter is that if the FAA does a ramp inspection and your shit is out of date you get off without a hitch but the pilot in command goes "up the proverbial river without means of locomotion" if you know what I mean.

I'm not even going to START a debate about whether or not pencil packs are OK or not, that way lies madness. My point is, for the sake of this argument: one way or another, make sure your gear is in date... your pilots will love you for it.

Elvisio "they fly so that I can fly" Rodriguez

I'm very much in agreement with getting repacked every 120 days, like it or not. I do find statements such as "Your pilot is legally responsible ..." and "... you get off without a hitch but the pilot in command ..." interesting though.

FAR 105 applies equally to the jumper and the pilot, and they're both legally responsible. I've known pilots who've received punitive action, but I've also known jumpers that have been fined $1000 where there was no action directed at the pilot. It's entirely up to the FAA as to who gets tagged and who doesn't, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Bob

Hi Layton

I assume your a member of USPA. Part of your due's is used to lobby the FAA & Feds to change the rules, laws, regs, etc that are overly restrictive, etc.

In order to carry out this lobbying effort in a cost efficent timely manner the USPA headquarters is located in the high cost DC metro plex.

Getting the FAA to extend the reserve packing cycle has been a high priority at the highest level of USPA.

There's a large data base of the effects of different reserve packing cycles based on the jump history from foreign country's.

Do a data search on DZ.com under your subject tittle. Read up on the history of tis challenging situation draw you own conclusion on who you think has been dropping the ball.

Besides being a USPA member your a taxpayer. If you think the problems lies with the feds write your congress person . If you think the problems with USPA contact USPA.

R.I.P.

R.I.P. Troll probability rateing 99%

Who cares about who gets fined... let's be safe, fer cryin' out loud.

The point is, that there is no safety advantage in 120 vs 180 days.

Unless you roll around in the muck, etc. like a student regularly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I keep it in date ....... now......,
It took a few years before I realized that it would be the pilots ass if something happened to me..... the oldest pack job I ever jumped was packed 3 years prior, The oldest pack I had to use was 9 months old.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I think we all have a responsibility to ourselves, our pilots and dropzones to keep our gear up to date even if we don't agree with the current rules.

Like any other rules and regulations we have the ability to lobby and petition to change if we so desire.

I think that often rules and standards are set for the time they are put into place, and need to be looked at again as time passes and technology changes.

my 2cents
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

On a more serious note. Repack length is done for safety (either 120 or 180 days), a whole mess of stuff can happen to a parachute while packed up in a container.

The pack doesn’t change that much but if its in there long enough it’s kind a fun to pull it out of the freebag and see it keeps its shape even when it drops to the floor. This ‘stuck together pack’ might take an extra second to open, but you may need that second to live.

But more important is the inspection, AAD batteries can leak, the Peruvian Boot Weasel may lay eggs in your container that produce a acid like substance, I can go on about what could happen but…

This is why a skydiver could keep their gear in date.
Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

a whole mess of stuff can happen to a parachute while packed up in a container.

Just as many bad things can happen in 120 days if a jumper doesn't take care of their gear. The number of days is less important than the care an owner takes.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

a whole mess of stuff can happen to a parachute while packed up in a container.

Just as many bad things can happen in 120 days if a jumper doesn't take care of their gear. The number of days is less important than the care an owner takes.

Excellent point! I suggest the FAA (or Congress, on behalf of FAA) legislate that jumpers take care of their gear.

Until that works out, the 120 day repack cycle seems like a workable compromise.

The 120 days vs. 180 days seems to me to be a question of paranoia. The FAA is more paranoid than the equivalent in other nations. Doesn't bother me that much - an extra $50 per year is like three jumps...

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Are there any measures being taken to increase the the repack to 180 days or is this all hype?

Yes. PIA, USPA, and the FAA all are working on a change. There are actually two parallel tracks being pursued. But, just as here, not all in the industry support a change to 180 days. As noted above a whole lot of things can go wrong, and do we wait an extra 2 months to find them? A properly cared for rig it probably doesn't matter if its 120 or 180 days.

But I've found lots of stuff that was unrelated to what the happened at the previous inspection and repack that could have killed.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Just as many bad things can happen in 120 days if a jumper doesn't take care of their gear.

Yes, but lets assume that something happens to your reserve which means that it is damaged after 60 days. If you are on a 120 day cycle, you will be jumping it for 60 more days, if you are on a 180 day cycle you will be jumping it for 120 more days. You could argue that the reserve should be repacked before first use every day, but you need to make a balance between safety, problems that a repack can introduce (eg wear) and convienence.

Personally I jump in the UK, and I'm happy with our 6 month cycle.

Now stop that! I know what you're thinking! Do Derek and I need to come over and take away all of your pencils?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This has me curious; Could all of the non-US jumpers chime in here and let us know what their country requires for a repack cycle?

180 days in Canada
But the interesting part is that rumors are circulating that might be changed to 1 year. I haven't been jumping that long, so I don't know if those have been around for years, but I have hope.
Wouldn't be as hard as changing the repack cycle in the US either, since Transport Canada only makes rules for the planes, pilots, and spectators.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Hi Ryoder

USA doesn't care about the rest of the worlds reserve repeack cycle. We know it all and are always correct. Please don't try and confuse the issue with the facts. USA says 120 days it stays 120 days the rest of the world needs to change their repack cycle to 120 days. :o>:(:$:(:|:S.

R.I.P.

This has me curious; Could all of the non-US jumpers chime in here and let us know what their country requires for a repack cycle?