Mike111

When you were (or are) a student......

A funny one. I did one tandem and then continued on a static line progression. My greatest fear before my first static line jump was that I wouldn't be able to climb out and hold onto the strut because of the airspeed. I was pretty worried about being blown off :D

Originally my biggest fear was definitely hitting something on the ground (or the ground) when I was trying to land. I was pretty poor at estimating distance and altitude.

Now my biggest fear is hop and pop... I am trying not to think about going out that low...:S
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

My greatest fear was and still is stepping at the door, looking down, ahead-back-out-arch. When I'm in the plane I'm cool and when I'm falling I enjoy it but several seconds in between.....ahhhh.
Flying under open canopy in strong wind is also pretty scary.

Blue skies!

just about everything. I have my little skydive prayer that I do everytime we go up. When the door opens, I grab onto something, knowning it won't help much if something happens. My stomach gets upset while I'm on the ground, once I get into the plane I calm down, usually with breathing exercises to relax me. and I constantly check my handles.

The only fear i had was after two hard landings at my second jump i didn't flare (the guy on the radio did say ready but not flare and i was more focused on the radio then the ground).And at jump six the first without radio support i flared way to high, both times i was sore for a week.Fortunaly both times i was able to do a PLF that saved me for more serious injuries.So i was a little scared for my landing for a wile because i had a hard time to judge the flare altitude.But from jump 11 i could do them standing :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: and haven't had bean nervous form my landing again

My first tandem jump was a piece of cake. I knew that I didn't really have to do much except arch and lift my legs at landing. I wasn't nervous for even a single second of it.

I was nervous for my second tandem [this past Saturday], it was really windy and I was vaguely nervous about doing the forward acceleration and 90 degree turns during freefall.

Overall, though, for my solo jumps, I'm most nervous and scared about flying the canopy and making good landings.

Before jump 7, it was just a non-specific (but very strong) fear of intentionally hurtling towards earth with just a piece of nylon to stop me. ;) After jump 7's bad landing, I was terrified of having another bad landing. Almost didn't get back in the air. But now I'm sure glad I did. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Landing. I think. (Although it was door fear too. And performance anxiety doing 2-way with an instructor)

Although I stood up my first landing and about 9 out of 10 subsequently. Now my brake lines have been replaced and I feel like I am learning how to flare, all over again. Plus I skidded a tarmac landing (my first) and almost fell over. Wasn't too happy about that.

Sometimes I've been pretty calm during the landing, as I was before the brakes got replaced.

Oh, and maybe, my reserve. I need to test-jump it soon with an intentional cutaway as soon as I'm approved for it ;)

The door. WHen that thing opened, I'd tense up and forget the dive flow. My instructor realized it and asked me, "WHat's the worst that could happen? You could fall out, right?";)

Now I love the door, and can't wait for it to open. I like sitting by it on the ride up especially -- I still get a little nervous, but it feels great knowing I'm in control of my fear.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I was a little aprehensive about jumping at first, my AFF level one was my first jump. Now the only real discomfort that I get is on the plane ride. Being a pilot, I see all the cycles these planes make, heavily loaded, extended periods of high effort for the engine(s) to alt, then cut the power dive down and do it all over again. I have only jumped from turbine aircraft so far and I know that they are far less likely to have an engine failure as compared to a reciprocating like the 182, but still. Its a great feeling to get a couple thousand feet under the plane. I am still nervous on every jump though, but thats a good thing. Like performing or speaking in front of a large group of people, it keeps you sharp and on your toes.
---------------
"Once you find a job that you like, you never have to work another day in your life"

My biggest fear is, naturally, running out of money before I finish the levels!

Couldn't agree more with the earlier post.

I've only done one skydive so far--tandem--but I dream of going through the AFF levels in the near future.

Aside from that, my big fear is f-ing up control of the canopy.

This is starting to go away, but: fear of the door when it's not me in it. On many of my jumps, there has
been an accuracy jumper getting out at 4K before we go to 11K, or an experienced jumper getting out
at 11K before the plane circles around again and I get out. I used to keep my seat belt fastened as long
as I could, and hang onto the inside of the plane when the door was open for the other jumpers. Once
it's me by the door and it comes open, I'm not worried about it - I look for the spot (if needed) and climb
right out. On the last few jumps, I've been unfastening my seat belt as we pass 1K, and not hanging
onto the plane when the door is open for the other jumpers.

After that, it's probably performance anxiety - fear of screwing up. I am still fighting this one, although
I am starting to get more moments of being able to relax and feel everything get real smooth in freefall.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Likewise. The plane on the way up is my biggest fear. I guess some people suffer from "door relief"?

Other than that, now that I've gotten over the fear of my legstraps coming undone during a spiral :$, I'm scared I might lose altitude awareness, I guess.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

An FXC fire!

I 'grew up' in static line progression, at a cessna DZ with Manta mains and round reserves. I was told never to do any radical turns below 1500ft 'less the the AAD may fire my reserve.

Being that it was S/L, I was comfortable under canopy at a very early stage. Being that it was a cessna DZ, I was never very concerned with traffic conflictions.

On every jump, once I got to that 1500ft mark, an uneasy feeling would come over me. I was such a docile canopy pilot... making so many turns flat out of fear of generating too much speed and firing out the round that I never wanted to see overhead.

:DLittle did I know that it would be difficult to fire that thing if I tried, given the size of the main and my low body weight.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

falling out of the plane! :D Seriously though, I would sit in the student slot next to the door, and when the door went open, I would hold on to something:ph34r:, like the pilot's chair or the interior of the plane. Now I just loooove when the door opensB|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Hop'N'Pops terrified me to begin with it seemed so low. YUCK!
The whole landing thing was hard, as i didn't really understand the dynamics of how to fly a canopy.
Fear of the unknown is definitely up there, but it went away when i did 8 jumps in one day to get my A license...I think that it has a lot to do with creating a rythm, it makes you comfortable. Thats my $0.02
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Oh yea the hop-n-pop. I wasn't the stablest exiter, and my JM's were like well we'll skip that for a few, but the day came, and it went alot like this.
EARTHSKYEARTHSKY EARTHSKY, OH SHIT PULL.

BLAMMMMNNNNMMMM, HAHAHAHAHA that was fun lets do it again.

Ever since then it's the students I keep an eye on. No offence newbies, oHHH yea and that blue eyed pilot from up north. And cessna's man you can't get me in one of those any more. I remember jumping in those and they can't open the door quick enough, I get very relieved when that door opens up I can't wait to jump out of those.

I had a few, like other, one of mine was/is "door anxiety", in the door, i'm just like "wtf am i doing??" Once i'm outside though, i'm fine.

I also had performance anxiety, when i didnt pass my level 4 two different times, i got really down on myself and my JM's took me out and cheered me back up.

Lastly, I did my first C&P the other day from 5500' along with my first cessna jump. I really dont like the cessna but being an AFF guy, jumping at 5500 scared the crap out of me. Needless to say i have to repeat it....but its all good...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----