newinlodi

Life Insurance Consideration for One-Time Jump?

Hi all -

I'm planning on celebrating my 30th birthday by doing a one-time tandem jump. I figure I will either have a day I'll always remember or I'll go out with a bang! ;)

I also am the sole provider for my wife and two small children. I have life insurance through USAA--policy is almost 9 years old. My wife called them and was assured that I would be covered for a one-time jump and that no riders or review of my account would be required--as long as it's a one time deal. (They said this is very common.)

Wondering if anyone else has experience with this? I'm somewhat hesitant to take the word of the phone rep and there is nothing in writing in the policy mentioning this either way. (I did state on the app. that I didn't plan to skydive within the following five years, which have long passed.)

thanks-
Thomas

If there is no exclusion in the policy, then you should be covered. Even if skydiving is not mentioned in the policy, look for exclusions relating to non-scheduled aviation flights. Most often, these only exclude crew members (i.e., private pilots), but read carefully if you are concerned.

When are you going? Maybe I'll see you there.

Gary

Thomas:

I sell insurance in Canada and generally the rules are the same across the industry.

You answered your agent's questions truthfully when you signed on, right? Therefore, there is no arguement for fraudl. The contestability clause is typically 2 years (you mention 5) and you're well outside that timeframe either way, right?

Finally, and more important, the chance of your death on a 1 time tandem jump is so small as to be inconsiderable - except as a "concerned husband and father". Well done to you for thinking and asking.

As for your not becoming addicted... that's another story ;););).

As for insurance while actively in pursuit of sport skydiving there are really 2 scenarios. First, "payment insurance" (ie: mortgage, employer, and loan coverage) often neither asks about nor excludes extreme activities. You are, under those policies, part of a large group and the insurance company pays less attention to individual scenarios. If you proced in the sport, these coverages will likely remain in force during skydiving (my interpretation only ... don't ask them now!!!)

Second are your personal policies. These are the potential problem areas as they relate to YOUR personal risk profile. LEt's leave this one until you get "permission" to satisfy your addiction.... presuming it materializes...

ENJOY the experience! We know why birds sing !!!

Dave T

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I have my insurance through State Farm. When I asked my agent about coverage he told me that I was fully covered for skydiving as long as I had answered the question about prior aviation activities truthfully when I filled out the application.
Owned by Remi #?

I figure I will either have a day I'll always remember or I'll go out with a bang!
I'm sure you'll have a great time doing your tandem at Lodi, they have Instructors with MANY tandem jumps and years of experience. Feel free to ask questions of the experience and jump numbers of your Instructor when you get to the DZ, as they will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
And your chance of going out with a bang is far greater on your drive out to the DZ, and not on your tandem?
But I do understand about the worry of life insurance just incase, as you want to have your family taken care of as I would mine.
Here is a address to find the statistics of skydiving.
http://www.skydivingfatalities.com/

Have a great jump:)
Ed

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I remember saying "one time deal only" a while back myself......... :)

LMAO .....
Dont we all!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

haha, I went in figuring that I was gonna be hooked, but did the tandem to make sure...

Yeah... I'm broke now :ph34r:
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Hi all -

I'm planning on celebrating my 30th birthday by doing a one-time tandem jump. I figure I will either have a day I'll always remember or I'll go out with a bang! ;)

I also am the sole provider for my wife and two small children. I have life insurance through USAA--policy is almost 9 years old. My wife called them and was assured that I would be covered for a one-time jump and that no riders or review of my account would be required--as long as it's a one time deal. (They said this is very common.)

Wondering if anyone else has experience with this? I'm somewhat hesitant to take the word of the phone rep and there is nothing in writing in the policy mentioning this either way. (I did state on the app. that I didn't plan to skydive within the following five years, which have long passed.)

thanks-
Thomas

if your not covered then its most likly you can get some sport related life insurance via your local dropzone

I bought my wife a tandem for her b-day in June. The next Saturday (july) we were both in AFF. It's now November and we've finished up. Yesterday, we were packing rigs in our make shift rigger's loft in the garage. We're not addicted but she has made some nice carrying cases for the full-face helmets and altimeters. Just because my name comes up as Goose on the manifest computer doesn't mean we're regulars or anything. It was just a one-time jump she wanted to do. What was this thread about??? Looking forward to hearing about your AFF training....

"Never waste a heartbeat."

Ditto I did a tandem to say I had jumped from a plane. The next week I did AFF to say I had jumped on my own, but one jump wasn't enough I did three. A month later I was thinking about nothing but skydiving so I finished AFF and now am close to being licensed. Be careful about one time things.

ten jumps and $1300 later...

And thats only to train you on how to save your own life and spend MORE money skydiving!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Now comes the jumpsuit and the rig, and the helmet and altimeter, and the............$$$$$$$$$$$

Ed

LMAO .....
Dont we all!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

yeah just one, good one:)

Me too. 12 jumps later I'm trying to figure out how to quit my job and move to the drop zone. But then I'd have to steal to support by habit, er I mean hobby. Why, why, why is it taking so damn long for this Friday to end I want out of this cubical hell!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

then I'd have to steal to support by habit, er I mean hobby.

EXTREMELY bad idea:o They don't have a dropzone in any prison I know of?[:/]
Work and jump. Then when you have worked enought to pay for all the jumps you've did, maybe you are good enought to jump for a living?
But wait!:| Then you'd be back at work all the time?:S

Ed

Ha! I did my first for my 30th! Little did I know I'd get hooked!!!! You'll love it and I am sure your insurance is fine. I am a single mom and I jump too much. Since I am their only parent, I'd stop in a heart beat if I was really worried about them being orphaned. Relax and enjoy! You'll love it!
Your character will ultimately determine your destiny.

I have my insurance through State Farm. When I asked my agent about coverage he told me that I was fully covered for skydiving as long as I had answered the question about prior aviation activities truthfully when I filled out the application.

Yup that's about right, the contract includes both the policy and the application. With life insurance there is a 2-yr incontestibility clause and if you made any misreprentations on the applications and die within two years they don't ave to pay out anything but refunded premiums. Fraud can be contested idefinately at any time however. Sky diving is not generally an exclusion unless an underwriter adds it on due to knowing you are an active skydiver.

Signature: Minnesota residents can get their life insurance quote / quotes at http://www.mnlifeinsurancequotes.com