arai

getting jump number up. how often do you jump?

first, find a cheaper DZ to increase your jump/$ ratio...

That's impossible to do here in Canada and contrary to what many yanks think ... the doors are not open to just move to the states because you want to find cheaper places to jump. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

anyway If you want to collect more jumps same period do low altitude jumps like 1000m, they take less time and cost less too.

How much are you going to learn about flying doing a H&P?

Its not about numbers, its about skydiving. Building numbers without building knowledge and gaining experience is silly.:S You can have 1000 jumps or 1 jump repeated 1000 times.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

the cheapest I've found around here is about 30 bucks to 10,000 feet or 33 to 12,000. remember this is cdn. I'm not complaining about the vancouver winter as much as I'm pointing out I wont be able to jumo too much during the winter so will have to have a busier summer to meet my goals

Quite much. Starting from exit to landing accuracy and canopy control. I think there is always something to learn with any jump. If I don't have anything else to focus on I have more time to work other things.

I don't think that you can get jump numbers only without gaining any new piece of experience.

As we discussed yesterday, my standard response to Vancouverites who whine about the weather is: "... at least we don't have to shovel it."

I was born in saskatchewan and lived in alberta growing up so I know what it is to shovel the weather ;)

from march through now I averaged 35 jumps a month including a month off in september for rain ;)

There was weekends where I did 25 jumps in a weekend and weekends I did 3...

It all really depends on how much you want to dedicate to the sport...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

In order to make decent money I get stuck at work 9-5 monday to friday

40 hours a week?!?

OH, THE HORROR! :|

yeah yeah yeah.... ;) though to be fair last year I had to do 500 hours of overtime. So its not always the money, but the time thats hard to get to go jumping out of aircraft

I have been finding it nearly impossible to find the time to jump as often as I'd like. Retail sales management does not allow for much of a personal life alot of the time.

I've decided that I do enjoy skydiving. It is what I intend to do for quite awhile now and in the future. To lower my cost per jump ratio I've decided to just buy myself a brand new rig. It should be in my hands just before Christmas so I'll be able to jump my ass off in 2006.

I just called Relitive Workshop, my container is being shipped today. :ph34r:

Canopies should be done by the middle of December.

In 2006 I'll jump much more. :)

Quite much. Starting from exit to landing accuracy and canopy control. I think there is always something to learn with any jump. If I don't have anything else to focus on I have more time to work other things.

I don't think that you can get jump numbers only without gaining any new piece of experience.

Read my post, I didn't say anything about accuracy or CC. I said "flying".

Sparky

Read my post, I didn't say anything about accuracy or CC. I said "flying".

Sparky

I reread the whole thread. It said flying, not falling.

Hokay!! Stop right there Mr!

It was mentioned here, but it is not all about the jump numbers.
If you are going to be at the DZ all weekend, try learn something.
For Wingsuites, formation skydiving and body flight is really important.

Try getting a few mates together and do some 2 way, 4 way and 8 way on weekends and learn to fly better.
Swooping to people, de-arching and stability is really important.

It does not help your cause to do hop and pops if by the time you can put a wing suit on you are not capable of flying it.

Canopy opening and flying is very important!

I am at a weekend DZ every weekend and do around 40 jumps a month (Well try to) That is 5 good quality jumps per day.

Enjoy the ride, don't miss the scenery to get to the destination!!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Yeah, and you didn't narrow down is that body or canopy flight.

You know exactly what I meant. He is not going to learn the skills needed to fly a wing suit doing H&P's. You may think you are improving your freefall skills by building numbers with low level jumps but I doubt it.

Sparky

heh, easy guys. yeah thanks for all the info so far. I intend to focus on skills needed for wingsuits as much or more than the # of jumps. I expect all/most my jumps will be from 7-13,000ft to allow for learning the flying skills needed for the suit.

I'm running for WS too. Limits: min 250 jumps and min 2 hours of freefall. I do know that I can't hit 2 hours FF with 250 pcs 1000m jumps...... I think there's always place for a 1000m jumps if I don't have any other plane.

Come on! Some ppl stay gound if they can't go for 2000,3000 or 4000m, because if weather or other things. That's boring. Anything is better than sit and wait on weather or on others.

Hop n' pops are awesome for working on one's canopy control and/or just getting that jump in when the WX is less than ideal. Of course if learning freefall skills is the primary goal, well hop n' pops aren't useless. It's just that you won't be doing all that much freefall on each jump.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The quickest way to get your jump numbers up is to keep jumping every weekend. I started just over a year ago. I've jumped every weekend for the last 8 months. I started flying a BM classic/GTi wingsuit right after I made my 200th jump (US recommendations).

Get some good used gear. You can make more jumps that way not having to look/wait for used equipment, and you can pack for yourself all the time if you want to, in case the packers are busy. That said wait until you're sure of what you want for at least a few hundred jumps before you go out and buy something. Rent for a few jumps and downsize until you're on something that you can have fun and learn on for a while. Then you can sell the gear and get something else without spending nearly as much money as you would have on gear rental.

You don't need to set a strict schedule, just jump when you want to, have fun, and the numbers will come. Then take a first flight course from a certified wingsuit instructor.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative