steveorino

Wise Geek ... sure

I found this interesting tidbit on wisegeek.com

When a parachute fails to open, it is usually a "streamer." In most streamers, the lines are twisted, and the canopy is prevented from opening enough to fill with air. Skydivers usually try to open a streamer by shaking the lines. If this fails, they can rely on their emergency parachute also known as a "reserve chute".

About one in a hundred primary parachute openings is a streamer.[emphasis mine]

Who says you can't learn everything you need to know on the internet?:S;)

steveOrino

So turning this funny into a learning experience...

On a bad weather day I talked with a TI who has been jumping longer than I care to know... I asked him, "tell me your worst case stories, and what you did, or should have done, so I can learn from you."

The story that hit me the hardest goes something like this:

1) Tandem student hears "Pull" at 8,500' instead of "Arch" which is what TI said.

2) Tandem student pulls.

3) Main has a malfunction (forgot if it was a line over or broken lines, but a slow mal)

4) TI Chops

5) Reserve deploys and snivels, and snivels, and snivels...

6) At 2000' manifest is calling 911

7) At 1000' TI says to student, "I don't think we are going to make it out of this one."

8) At 500' reserve pops open.

If you do the math, the reason he is alive is that the student pulled early.

The TI called the canopy manufacture, with a pale face and cold sweats I am sure, asking, "what the hell should I do?"

The advice he got for a reserve that is sniveling... Aggressively pull down on the front risers... Get the nose digging into the air...

Anyone else have any ideas to actually productively spend the last few moments of your life if your reserve does what Wise Geek says happens once every 100 jumps???:$

I have seen a bunch of videos where shaking, pulling, and cussing have gotten something to work

Worked for me on my one long snivel...on the last try before chopping.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While discussion about parachute malfunctions was a little "off", I found everything else about skydiving on wisegeek.com to be pretty bang on. They had to have been talking to an experienced skydiver to get alot of that information, which leads me to believe that it was their skydiver source who slipped in the bit about the streamers for a little amusement amongst the known.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

The advice he got for a reserve that is sniveling... Aggressively pull down on the front risers... Get the nose digging into the air...

Wow...that got me thinking about some of the threads regarding 'old' knowledge not being passed down to 'newer' jumpers....

I thought EVERYONE knew to do that!:|

It was SOP in the days of all F111 mains & reserves.

I have a tired old F111 main chute I occasionally use on demos that I pull down 2 feet on the front risers as 'part' of the opening sequence.

And another Zpo main that I do the same on the rears to 'slow' the opening...

I'm definitely not suggesting to EVERYONE to incorporate these procedures into their jumping, I don't know what would happen on an extremely highly loaded main...but do keep in mind ...as mentioned above, that changing the aspect of a sniveling main or reserve 'often' has the desired effect..an open parachute.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I too thought this was common knowledge.

But recently got a few suprised looks when re-certing a few folks who happened to be out of the counrtry for a year.

Some had been thaught to grab all 4 risers, some had been taught to grab the rears, and still others taught noting at all.

Expose the nose and all else will be taken care off. It has worked for me a few times and I am sure many others many more times.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I have seen a bunch of videos where shaking, pulling, and cussing have gotten something to work

The cussing part works great just make sure that afterwards you apologize to the canopy, they have feelings you know;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Wow...that got me thinking about some of the threads regarding 'old' knowledge not being passed down to 'newer' jumpers....

At least I asked the question and learned the answer from the 'old guy', so I won't be part of the problem.:)
Any other 'old knowledge' you want to pass my way would certainly be appreciated... I accept knowledge in posts, PMs, emails, phone calls, and face to face meetings, I am not finicky.;) Not to say you or anyone else is 'old', just the knowledge being old...:P

At least I asked the question and learned the answer from the 'old guy', so I won't be part of the problem.:)
Any other 'old knowledge' you want to pass my way would certainly be appreciated... I accept knowledge in posts, PMs, emails, phone calls, and face to face meetings, I am not finicky.;) Not to say you or anyone else is 'old', just the knowledge being old...:P

You know what....

You shouldn't HAVE to ask..we should be 'imparting' things like that without being prompted!

Good on you for asking...listening...and posting!!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I thought EVERYONE knew to do that!

First time I heave heard of it as well. And I jump a PD170..MMMMMMM
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

The cussing part works great just make sure that afterwards you apologize to the canopy,
they have feelings you know;)

One important point: if you're going to cuss at your canopy, you need to do it in a language it
understands. You can cuss at a PD canopy in English, but you might have to cuss at a PISA
canopy in Afrikaans. The same thing goes for wingsuits, aircraft, etc.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

What about Aerodyne? Those things travel a lot on their way to the jumper...

(Asking 'cause I'll need to talk to mine soon. Soon soon soon.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I took part in a Demo jump into a local Uni a year or so ago where we put 5 jumpers out of a Cessna over their Freshers fair.

Apparently there were complaints made to the Uni prior to the event that statically 1 in 3 jumps end in an injury – as such we were statistically guaranteed to expose the audience to witnessing an injury and resultant psychological trauma. :S

Whatever. The jump went fine as I'm sure most of you could have predicted.

The cussing part works great just make sure that afterwards you apologize to the canopy, they have feelings you know;)

You know the only person I have ever jumped with who chopped, was my AFFI on my level 6... Spun up his velocity, or perhaps it spun up on him. (Ok, that is a lie, a 4way teammate chopped once, but if I admit that, it ruins the story)

Our level 6 debrief was him finding his parts and pieces and borrowing another. My level 7 instructions came as we walked to the plane, "lets both try NOT to chop on this one, and oh, do some back flips, and get stable again, be altitude aware, and you pass."

But I clearly remember him calling his main all sorts of names as he stuffed it in his friends container... I explained to him that calling the canopy names might be a contributing factor to his cutaway. He explained to me that as a AFF student I knew nothing about angry canopies, and Velocities can be very, very angry, and you have to let them know who is boss... Apparently they like to be called names as they are hit in the container.

Thus, I try to treat my canopy like a dog... Never hurt it, never hit it, but tough love and positive reinforcement when it comes to things like running into a street without being told OK first...

Oh, I doubt it.

#1 I don't know the stats for streamers,

#2 I really don't care.;) I guess I just found it interesting that the info was so wrong.

#3 If I were to spend time correcting everything that was wrong on the internet, I would not have the time to skydive, or draw DZ.;)

steveOrino