Spatula

More "great" skydiving publicity on cnn.com

I like the fact that she wants to jump again.

I don't. She made many mistakes that seem to indicate the sport isn't for her. This isn't all fun and games, you can die if you don't react properly and quickly.

I tend to agree with pollster. "I didn't know what to do" isn't something one wants to hear from a skydiver.

Hmmm... if you were a DZO and this girl came to jump at your DZ after all this, would you let her?

The thing that bothers me the most is the "reserve is guaranteed to work" thing.:S

As I mentioned in another thread on this topic - media are lazy. I work in the industry. It's not that they're intentionally trying to screw the facts, but it comes down to this:

30 second newsbyte: What's easier? "Skydiver lives after chute doesn't open" Or, "Skydiver lives after one brake line fires and one remains stowed, causing her to spiral, because when one brake line...."

It's sad, but thats how the media handles things.

One of the companies I run allows air travelers to match up with like-minded travelers as their seatmate BEFORE they get on the flight. It's NOT a mile-high dating service. I tell media that first and foremost. What's the headline every time a story runs? "Meet your match at 30,000 feet," or "mile-high dating service launches love in the air."

Sigh.

I read that her res was not open all the way.(maybe she pulled to late) Its also said she told the press she didn't know how to fix the main ( uh CHOP IT! ) glad she is okay.

What happened, I saw it, and yes it was a horrible thing to watch; I just kept praying for her while I watched her spiral down. I do believe her toggle came unstowed while doing rear riser turns I believe; she freaked out, didn't know how to fix it, so she chopped it. I feel sad this happened to Shayna, but she needs to start telling people the truth--all this nonsense about both of her chute failed, that's not true. I have emailed Oprah ( whose show Shayna is scheduled to be interviewed on, I believe) and told her Shayna is misrepresenting skydiving and leaving out many important facts. Her and her instructor, her BOYFRIEND, were at another dz, because they weren't allowed to jump together because of the dating situation. They were using a 190 main in a container fitted for a 135 I believe--against better judgement they jumped and Shayna ended up hitting a parking lot.

I witnessed everything, and hope Shayna will heal, but I do think her and her bf need to set the record straight.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I like the fact that she wants to jump again.

I don't. She made many mistakes that seem to indicate the sport isn't for her. This isn't all fun and games, you can die if you don't react properly and quickly.

I tend to agree with pollster. "I didn't know what to do" isn't something one wants to hear from a skydiver.

Hmmm... if you were a DZO and this girl came to jump at your DZ after all this, would you let her?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NO!
Not unless she demonstrates a radically-improved attitude and much better understanding of how and why parachutes fly/inflate/steer, etc.

Is that what the FEDS who investigated the accident said, or is this just you defending you dz?

I heard that a similar accident happened at your dz not long ago (maybe a year ago)?

Attacking the messenger instead of the message?
She said she saw it.
Smearing the DZ? I'm curious how the DZ could be responsible for the jumper's panicky handling of the main canopy, a reserve mal on outside gear, the jumper's doing nothing on rear risers to try to counter some of the reserve's spin, and the boyfriend's overall bad judgment.

I see you just registered yesterday. Are you a jumper at all? What's your experience level? Your profile says...well, nothing at all.

Who packed Shayna's parachute? Did Shayna? I heard it was an employee of the DZ. Perhaps I heard wrong.

As for witnessing the accident: how much could this observer see from her groundside view?

As for me attacking the messenger, isn't the messenger attacking the injured party?

I don't believe Shayna is giving a bad name to parachuting -- it is a dangerous sport, any life insurance adjuster will tell you that. As for who is to blame for this accident: in my opinion it is a mix, an improperly packed chute or perhaps malfunctioning equipment used by an inexperienced jumper who didn't know how to adjust for the situation. It isn't any one persons fault. I have been reading a lot of posts on this site that blames Rick West for Shayna's accident, and then others who say it is all Shayna's fault for not knowing how to handle the situation. Why DO we have to attack others. I wasn't attacking the witness, I was simply asking a question. While in a restaurant in Siloam Springs my sister was told about a similar accident at this same DZ; that is all I was asking.

In response to your questions about my profile: I prefer to remain anonymous, hense the reason I have no profile. I am here mainly to read the forums, not partake, but I have gotten a little tired of the blaming game. In 1989 the death rate for skydiving was 1/75,000. I read a more recent report that states that the death rate is now 1/100,000 -- those still aren't very good stats. Shayna stating that is a one in a million senario is sadly mistaken. Last year in America there was something like 27 skydiving deaths -- I know that is fewer seaths than car related deaths, but how many of us need to skydive to work? This is a choice that everyone makes for themself. Shayna made the choice to jump, so she is ultimately the one to blame for her injuries. However, she jumped with a trust that her chute(s) would open without any problems -- naive, or misinformed. Perhaps a little of both. She is just a kid, and kids don't think they can get hurt, that is why insurance companies charge more for younger drivers than older drivers, it isn't just related to experience, it is related to recklessness. Recklessness is a part of youth, and unfortunately some recklaee youthes never make it into their thirties. Shayna was lUcky to survive this accident, but will she be so lucky next time. Is the thrill really worht the risks. I suppose for a lot of you it is, but then I don't really understand type A individuals, even though I am married to one.

Who packed Shayna's parachute? Did Shayna? I heard it was an employee of the DZ. Perhaps I heard wrong.

The main was perfectly fine, so what does it matter?

As for witnessing the accident: how much could this observer see from her groundside view?

More than anyone else (except the instructor or herself of course) probably.

. I read a more recent report that states that the death rate is now 1/100,000 -- those still aren't very good stats. Shayna stating that is a one in a million senario is sadly mistaken. Last year in America there was something like 27 skydiving deaths -- I know that is fewer seaths than car related deaths, but how many of us need to skydive to work?

Sydiving is a choice you make. You sign a lot of paper stating its a dangerous activity that can get you killed. And guess what: it can. Its one of the very few sports where you can die even if you do everything right.
Remster

However, she jumped with a trust that her chute(s) would open without any problems

Do you know this for a fact? How could anyone have such blind trust when so much of a FJC is spent dealing with malfunctions? (and anyway an unstowed toggle is not even a malfunction) It is made very clear to prospective jumpers that things can and do go wrong. Have you ever seen those big orange warning labels on the rigs? They say things like: Sport parachuting is a hazardous activity that can result in injury or death. Parachutes sometimes malfunction, even when they are properly designed, built, assembled, packed, maintained and used.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

You were attacking an EYEWITNESS to the incident by indicting her personal motives without any basis. You were shamefully smearing a DZ based on what you now admit is hearsay-upon-hearsay-upon hearsay ("my sister heard in a restaurant" - real credible source) evidence of a "similar incident" one year ago, and then trying to draw a connection between that (supposed) incident and this one, which of course is a complete non-sequitur. If you're going to make an evaluation of cause-and-effect, I'd have expected you'd have a basis of knowledge, such as actually being a skydiver. But your posts make it clear that you're not. You're therefore doing nothing more than making value judgments and accusations based on nothing but ignorance. Speak from knowledge, speak from facts, speak from experience, but please, please, don't insult our community by trash-talking us, and our sport, out of pure ignorance.

You know, this is a good video of what can go wrong in skydiving. How many other people have called television stations to show them their video of them crashing in. We see it on "Extreme" shows all the time. Even well known and respected skydivers (not saying names) have done it.

How many people on the pro swooping tour want to have their discipline which will have accidents of high impact in the Olympics, on the "Today Show", etc. Yet nobody gives them any grief.

This girl had a terrible tradegy that was not necessarily her fault. Most of the fault in this goes to the instructor and who let her jump a 190 Sabre 2 on her 6th jump. At a majority of the DZ's around the world she would probably be on a 260/280 navigator. Can this same thing happen on a navigator? Yes. A student with six jumps does not always handle every emergency the correct way. Look at how many of us had challenges for not "knowing" everything through AFF. We have all seen students cutaway for strange reasons. This girl just happened to have a reserve challenge too.

Someone who took the video probably realized how much money "they" could make on this because of the footage and she jumped right on it not knowing she was wrong. She is a student with Six AFF's. Don't blame her. This is not what she needs right now.

[:/]

Is that what the FEDS who investigated the accident said, or is this just you defending you dz?

I heard that a similar accident happened at your dz not long ago (maybe a year ago)?

I am not defending or attacking anyone ( please read my post again, settle down, breathe), I was simply stating Shayna is misrepresenting the facts, that's all. I have said nothing insulting her or attacking anyone. I merely said she needs to be more upfront with the information she is spreading around.

edited to add: oh and by the way, there were several other jumpers who saw the exact same thing I did. All I did was witness the accident. The REAL information not being told is I believe what the FAA came up with and the facts.

*Also, Shayna is not a KID, she's 21!!! :S Sorry, but kids aren't allowed to skydive.:S
Unless your daddy owns a jump plane:D:D:D

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Yes, I do know for a fact that she jumped with this trust -- I am Shayna's aunt (so much for the anonymity). So, since I have "come out of the closet" on that, I will go ahead and address another issue: coming down on Shayna for the publicity that she has supposedly sought out. Shayne did not have anything to do with the publicity she is getting. One of her teachers from high school contacted the local paper (Ash Grove); the thing just snowballed from there. The Springfield news station gave her coverage, and the next thing Shayna knew she was getting calls from New York. I know, she could have said no, but I don't think she saw this "publicity" as a bad thing. What 21 year old girl wouldn't soak up all the attention? So why doesn't everybody here just stop judging her, and Rick. There is a lot of other stuff going on in her (as with any one of us) so why can't we all just be nice. There is an ancient Buddhist saying that goes something like: Praise not the mountain for being high, nor scorn the valley for being low, for each are as they are for that is there nature. So, although some of you may disagree with Shayna taking advantage of the attention she is getting, why don't you just step make for a minute and try to have a little empathy. Shayna was a beautiful young girl with a lot of hopes and dreams. She started making, in my opinion, a few bad choices about two years ago (I am not referring to skydiving as one of those bad choices), but it is her life to live, just as your life is your life to live. It is my opinion that the goal of any person should be to make life better not just for themselves but for anyone they meet; how can we make life better for someone by criticizing them and judging them? Okay, I have one more little sermon then I will stop. I quoted Buddha earlier, now I would like to quote Saint Francis (I know, I am a confusing person). Just think what a wonderful this could be if we could all strive to achieve the characteristics listed in the following excerpt from the peace prayer of St. Francis:

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

Okay, I'll push my soapbox aside for know.

Happy HOLIDAYS Everyone! ;)

Aunt Katie

Boy, I REALLY should proof read before I post (if Shayna reads this she will just laugh -- I am constantly having to send corrections to my e-mails).

1.) typo on Shayna's name, "Shayne"
2.) "There is a lot of other stuff going on in her... (insert "life" here).
3.) "just step make* for a minute" make* should be "back"
4.) "Just think what a wonderful (insert "world" here) this could be"

Now that you all know that Shayna has a crazy, obsessive-compulsive aunt maybe you will take pity on her and be a little nicer -- poor kid, she spent a lot of her early years with me! Maybe that is what compelled her to jump.

"I read a more recent report that states that the death rate is now 1/100,000 -- those still aren't very good stats. "

The murder rate in Washington, DC was 46/100,000 in 2002. 1/100,000 does sound all that bad.

I'd rather take my chances skydiving than walking thru DC at night (or NYC or any other major city).
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

"Where there is error, truth"

This is what many of the posters here are trying to do. Shayna and Rick's story to the world is not truth. I would bet most on here have some empathy for her for we have seen this sort of thing happen to other friends or ourselves. Discussing incidents and finding the proper place to put blame is valuable to all of us. It helps prevent further incidents. Shayna's injuries are not a result of a one in a million gear malfunction. They are the result of, among other things, improper reaction to a common low speed malfunction. But that is not what she is telling the world is it?

Actually, as far as I know Shayna isn't making any money off the exposé. My husband (who is an entertainer) suspects that she will get something for being on TV, but when I asked my sister (Shayna's mom) if Shayna was getting paid, she replied, "No."

Now, about the money thing: Shayna definitely needs help with her medical expenses (as does probably just about every other American), so I hope she does get some financial reward as a result of the publicity.

Shayna did not want to make a big deal out of this, believe me. She was just happy to have survived, and thrilled to be pregnant.

If, when all the chatter had hit the Internet skydiving chats when the accident took place, every skydiver who posted a message had sent $1 to Shayna to help with her medical bills all of this "publicity" would not have taken place -- Shayna had nothing to do with the news coverage, it was initiated by one of her high school teachers as an attempt to bring attention to Shayna's accident and the resulting financial burden. Her teacher was just trying to help. She heard about the accident, and Shayna's lack of medical coverage and set up a medical fund for Shayna. The teacher then proceeded to gain attention to the fund -- she was just trying to help.

There is one primary reason the "publicity" Shayna is getting bothers me -- I know there are a lot of people out there with just as amazing survival stories, and they are not being noticed, so, why don't we all, instead of bantering back and forth over who is to blame and how horrible the coverage is, share some amazing survival story, or maybe even some sad, tear-jerking fatality.