Fleahop

Aircraft you want to see at the WFFC

***If you are serious... Rod and his Bell 412 at the min.

Otter Are you seeing this??? Get Rod off his ass and let's get this approval done if he is serious or we need to post what the real deal is. The skydiviers want the E-ride Is Rod going to work with me or not? And lets not forget Rod and Don need to talk. This really needs to be done first before I waste alot I mean ALOT of time working this out with the FAA. Lets Play Ball and quit pussy footing around. By the way the ball is in Rods court. And we only have 6 months.

Fleahop
Don't just knock on deaths door...Kick it down and run like hell! He hates that.

Not sure but unless its got a removable door on the otherside that is behind the Prop it could be called a meat grinder. I would like to see a pic of the other side. mean while I will look up the registration number.B|

F
Don't just knock on deaths door...Kick it down and run like hell! He hates that.

Not sure but unless its got a removable door on the otherside that is behind the Prop it could be called a meat grinder. I would like to see a pic of the other side. mean while I will look up the registration number.B|

F

well i thought that was a door on the rear after the prop. maybe its a emergancy door. i dont know :D if it could be taken off thats all that matters. ;)

edit: oh here we go. thats a huge arse opening if i ever saw one :P let me out:D

http://ivan.brocot.free.fr/do328/DO328%201.jpg

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I've heard a ton about Rod and his Bell 412. I never got the opportunity to experience his flying, but from all that I've heard about him, if you get him to WFFC in 2006, I will come back for the weekend only because of him being there and will jump the 412.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Do you know anyone in the states that owns one or in canada for that matter?

I believe the CAF crashed their A20. All I can do is look on the internet. As for A26's there are a couple for sale under Douglas in trade-a-plane and another under Warbirds. Lots of stuff under Douglas to include a DC3 with PT6's and a whole lot of interesting stuff under Warbirds and PBY's under Consolidated. I can send you the phone numbers or the whole copy of trade-a-plane. Now you can convince the owners to let us have some fun with aircraft our dads once flew before they sell them. You have to dream a little.:)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

DO-328 and jet derivative are great aircraft, but I am fairly sure that the doors are integral to hull integrity in flight. The DO-228 however (non-pressurized) version that preceeded the later models would most likely be a better jumping platform, if you could find one with interest, also has a double door in the rear which would make for good exits. As long as we are just pontificating and throwing out ideas.

Flea, I am reading, but you and I both know there are more than just one or two issues to resolve for some specialty aircraft to arrive.

This I do know and understand. I wish we could turn back time. I think that if all parties involved when dealing with a particular aircraft would just be honest and not try to factor in the BS that seems to be involved on all three sides it would make things alot simpler. "Why can't we all just get along" to quote some one close to the heart. I do appreciate your input on the DO-228 & 328 I will see if door off flight is approved on the 228 or do you already know the answer to this question??!! I would really enjoy seeing the Pound back together and a you go I go...I believe it's owed to me! Thanks for any and all input you have on these aircraft. Did You ever meet with the QB's?

Thanks Fleahop

Yes, Dornier 228 is approved for flight with the door off.
I did a bunch of tandems from D0-228 at boogies in Leuthirch, Germany (1986 and 1987).
Do-228 is a good jump-plane, almost as good as Twin Otter. The only problems were when the co-pilot tried to be "helpful" by taking us to 19,000' without supplementary oxygen.
Holy hypoxia Batman!

The stock D0-228 cargo door is almost as big as a Twin Otter's.
Dornier makes an accordian-fold, aluminum, inflight door, but I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The insert knocked several inches off both the sill and top edge of the door frame. It didn't seem to bother bellytive workers too much, but tandem instructors had to work twice as hard.

Other words what is more important to you altitude or time?

Personally cost and turn around time.

Jumping a vintage plane or warbird is all about the ride in the plane and the exit. I don't care if that exit is at 2000ft or 10000ft (although high enough for me to sit back and watch it fly off would be nice).

The likelihood is most of these planes would only permit solo's or very small groups to exit - the jump really is all about the plane not what you do once you're out of it.

As such I personally think a low-medium height would be best. High enough to be casual about things and not scare the AFF babies but low enough to keep fuel costs down helping ticket prices just a little. Plus it would keep the turn around down ensuring people don't spend all their day waiting for their turn at the top of the list.

As I said – what you do after the exit is all just gravy by comparison to the experience of being in and getting out of the plane in the first place.

Riggerrob,

Thanks for the update. I am fairly sure it would be simple to get a lexan sliding door approved, that piece of paperwork is fairly simple.

The DO-228-202 with -10 engines would make for about the fastest turns I could ever imagine. The -5 we typically flew were great climbers, but talked to a chap or two who had flown the -10 power and said that it climbed like a homesick angel.

sic it fleahop....get it boy.....go get it!!!!

Just for the record I have noted right at 50 different aircraft so far. Some of course are way out there and some are well...come on a cessna 172? You find me next year and we will rent one and throw your ass out. I will complete a list of all and the results but for now here are what I am seeing...

1. Blimp 2. Rod and the 412 3. Folker 4. AN-2 5. C-130 6. B-17 7. Jet (DC9/727) 8. Beaver 9. DC-3 10. AN-72

These are just afew but they look like the top 10. If the list stays in this direction I stand a better than average chance. Please keep the ideas comming and get more details like what airport to look at; I mean if we are going to steal something we have to know where to send the fuel truck.

Thanks Fleahop

A blimp would be a cool re-addition for a year, though I bet the Air Bosses wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Family Channel flashbacks...

I'm not a jumper (yet), but I am a hot air balloon and thermal airship pilot looking to get into skydiving. I don't know any history of the WFFC. What happened with the Family Channel blimp?

Although I have limited skydiving understanding, I can say that helium airships are highly impractical jump ships at best. They rely on being carefully ballasted slightly heavy at takeoff, to account for the fuel burn that will occur during flight. They want to land slightly heavy or at equilibrium, since it's tough to land a blimp that wants to "fall upwards." Dropping a payload of jumpers in flight would make for an incredibly tough journey towards the ground (for the blimp crew) unless a quantity of expensive helium were to be vented. That's not something they do without good reason (emergencies, superheating, etc.).

Now, I've got myself a hot air airship (see attachment), but it only seats pilot plus one, and it's Experimental to boot. Guess that takes it out of the running!

No, nothing bad. It was windy when they departed, and well, it took a looooong time for them to get off airport (in Quincy).

An Air Boss nightmare, so I was told...

Fleahop, your spotting skills are awsome!

Get a LET...
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

y'all should come jump in the UK... those are just regular aircraft...

Sure, but do you ever get to jump a Harrier? I'm sure if you take a
copy of last year's tax form ("Hey, I _paid_ for this plane!") down to
your local RAF base they can fix you up. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.