BabyBlues

Shayna Richardson's One and Only Post...Read It and Get Over It!!!!

in relation to skydiving, (as many others have stated) YES death/injury was always an option, but *i belive* Shayna wasn't focusing on all the MIGHT HAPPENs. that's why i'm trying to understand posters' rage -- how many of us actually live our life like that?

Do I live my life like that? Probably not. Do I skydive like that? Yes. Because I never want to be in a situation where I find myself hurtling towards the ground below 3000' at 120mph thinking "I don't know what to do".
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Welcome to internet forums. Trying to tell people what and where they can post is like trying to tell a baby to stop crapping in it's diaper.

Oh, he knows all about the internet forums and posting what ever he wants. He used to post under the handle dubbayab before he got banned.

Sparky

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=dubbayab;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=964812;#964812

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So people are PISSED at her. I just don't understand why. Why is this such an emotional topic? The accident really did happen. She had a spinning reserve malfunction and hit the ground very hard. Should we keep that a secret? Should we tell prospective students skydiving is safe?

I agree with you Dave.Nice post.

In my short time in the sport I recall atleast two other women going in with a spinning mal that probably was fixable, and these women had considerable more experienced. Give the kid a break, and maybe a buck or two.

blues and a merry christmas

jerry

So people are PISSED at her. I just don't understand why. Why is this such an emotional topic?

There are a lot of uncultured, puerile individuals that partake in this sport. Many of them lack education and worse, they don’t have the ability to lament for another individual’s misfortunes.

Many experienced skydivers who have dedicated their lives to this sport suffer from a condition known as Severe Isolated Thought Process. The way they expect fellow skydivers to act in this sport is completely different than what they should expect from a 10 jump wonder who has only been in the sport for 5 minutes.

Shayna was a tourist. Nothing more. It is good to hear that she wants to jump again and I feel that her sentiments make up for any negativity that has been projected due to this incident.

Dropzones around the country are booming with new student business because of Shayna. We all appear even more astonishing to all our family and friends now because we skydive.

UntamedDOG

"she didn't take responsibility for her accident"

She hasn't blamed anyone but herself for the accident.

Sure she has..One thing was she claimed her reserve was a sure thing...

"she shouldn't have gone skydiving without medical insurance" posted by people that have skydived without medical insurance.

I don't disagree with them. Skydiving or skiing or driving or walking across the street without medical insurance is asking for trouble. But somehow it was ok for all those other people to do it

I have not jumped without medical insurance...And my GF is grounded right now due to lack of it....Of course she just shelled out the 50 something bucks it will cost to carry Blue Shield, so she will be airborne again soon.

50-60 bucks a mth his cheap for insurance.....Oh, I know some will claim that it is too expensive....Folks, skydiving is expensive...You would be MUCH better suited to get insurance than make THREE jumps.

Same people that are pissed she made skydiving look dangerous on national TV. Again, had she sued everybody in sight to pay her medical bills, I'd agree that all those others were different from her. In reality, she's asked for help (and not particularly blatantly at that... watch her interviews, she doesn't freaking beg).

She did infact ignore advice that didn't suit her. She has made skydiving appear much more dangerous. Still nothing that has not been done by the very movies we supported.

I don't even harbor her ill will. I will say that it is very stupid and very short sighted to jump without insurance. Pretty common in this sport, but that does not mean it is smart. We all pay when one of our own does stupid stuff. Case in point, Quincy started hating skydivers.

She has in fact acted with an entitlement attitude. Plus her attitude to skydivers telling us to basicly shut up is not the way to build bridges in the community.

She did something stupid...And when she was told she did something stupid she attacked instead of admitting it. Her first dealings with the press made it seem like she did nothing wrong....Only after she started a shit storm did she ever admit that she might have made a mistake.....By that time she was too busy telling us to shut up for us to care.

Through out this she has acted like a spoiled child...She ignored advice she didn't like, claimed to be innocent, and when she finally did admit she had any blame she was throwing a tantrum telling people to shut up.

From reports she alienated the local jumpers who tried to help perfering to go national and meet Opra.

I have no problem helping people who need it....I would rather help those that are trying to help themselves than the ones that blame others, insult me, and act like I owe them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

[qupte]I would rather help those that are trying to help themselves than the ones that blame others, insult me, and act like I owe them.

This is EXACTLY the type of statement I was talking about.

She has one post. She posted it after being bashed repeatedly in at least 3 or 4 threads on this site and apparently more on a local site. I don't blame her for being a little pissed off and trying to defend herself.

She hasn't blamed anyone but herself for the accident.

I really don't see your point. Again, maybe it was a silly comment, but why have like 30 people brought it up? What's the failure rate of reserve canopies? They're pretty damn reliable. Almost freaking guaranteed to open. So she left off the word almost in her interviews? What's the big fucking deal? And what did that have to do with my comment that she hasn't blamed anyone else for her accident? Her reserve malfunctioned. Was that her fault? She could have gone and blamed the rigger or manufacturer. She didn't. She called it a freak occurence. How could she have made it sound better?

Why does she owe us an explanation? I've heard many more "entitlist attitudes" from people on here than I heard from her. I don't give a shit what she said on here anyway. That has no effect on the situation. What's important is what she said to the international public in her interviews, and I think she did a great job.

And I agree that jumping without insurance isn't smart. But that's a separate topic that applies to jumpers that have and have not already been injured. Already been plenty of discussion on that.

Dave

If you want to argue about insurance, or driving start your own thread, but hijacking this one for your own pleasure makes you a troll.

NELKEL~ as you'll read in MY post, the driving-to-skydiving comparison was made because i was trying to parallel insurance needs for both. i used driving-to-skydiving to illustrate my point & question THUS making it relevant to Shayna's thread.....

i don't believe anyone on here is trying to "hijack" her thread..... just weighing the options since Shayna clearly isn't going to post again & clarify. why is it of particular concern to you? i suspect that's why this thread hasn't been locked as you've been pushing for -- because it's not off-topic.

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Do I live my life like that? Probably not. Do I skydive like that? Yes. Because I never want to be in a situation where I find myself hurtling towards the ground below 3000' at 120mph thinking "I don't know what to do".

ORANGE~ i'm not sure what you meant by that last sentence?! CoNfUsEd....

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't see your point. Again, maybe it was a silly comment, but why have like 30 people brought it up? What's the failure rate of reserve canopies? They're pretty damn reliable. Almost freaking guaranteed to open. So she left off the word almost in her interviews? What's the big fucking deal?

"he survived the car crash"
"he almost survived the car crash"

seems like a big difference to me.
blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin.
options: it does a body good.

She has one post. She posted it after being bashed repeatedly in at least 3 or 4 threads on this site and apparently more on a local site. I don't blame her for being a little pissed off and trying to defend herself.

You think that maybe there is a reason she has been bashed? I mean as someone said on here already that if one person holds an opinion of you, that they could be wrong...But if several hold the same opinion there is a good chance they are correct.

Several local jumpers from that area have stated that she "dissed" them when they tried to help.

She continues to claim that she was operation with enough instruction, with proper equipment and everything else like the setup to her accident was not a factor in the accident.

Canopy choice..Well some DZ's can in fact put students out on such a canopy...But the facts are that most DZ's are not able to do that for various reasons....Even two different students from a very qualified DZ have had two different views on if they got enough attention in that area.

Instructor..Well BF in most cases should not teach girfriends. It is a pain in the ass, and many things get skipped. Plus some have said that the Instructor in question was grounded and thats why they went to another DZ. This whole situation reaks of questionable practices.

The canopy was ill sized for the container accoring to many.

Not having insurance is just another setup that was out of smart operating procedures.

This whole accident reaks of questions and errors in normal judgment.

Then you add in how she ignored local help and was quick to run to the national media.....More questionable practices.

The fact that the locals are not supporting her makes me wonder why...We talk alot about how skydivers support people and its true in most cases...But the strongest support often comes from locals...In this case the locals don't support her and the only people who are don't know her of the situation...........Now in most cases I tend to ignore the local views ince it is normally just a knee jerk defense...But not many times have I seen a local view that does not support them. That makes me wonder.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This post has run its course. I culled all of the "this post is boring" posts from the last two pages so whoever comes looking for this thread in the future won't have to wade through them.

A note to all - if you are bored with a post, your best bet is to stop posting to it. If you continue to post stuff like "boring" "let it go" or "enough already" you do nothing more than perpetuate the thread by keeping it high on the first page. Those types of posts contribute zero to the thread.

Please don't create any more Shayna Richardson spinoff threads unless they have a large amount of value on some aspect of this incident that has not already been discussed ad nauseum in the 12-15 other related threads.

Cheers,
Arrive Safely

John