Superman32

Gear and boogies

Make friends with someone who does have a car/truck that you can lock your stuff in, at least at night. During the day, try to hang out with a group of people so there's always someone around your gear.

I haven't had any trouble; but maybe I've just been fortunate. I always have had somewhere to lock stuff up at night, though.

Folks who have been to Dublin may have more specifics about the setup and experience there, of course.

If you have your rig insured for loss/theft, you may wanna check your policy. Im sure some policies (at least in the UK) cover your gear for loss or damage anywhere including while in use (with enough excess to not cover a reserve repack or lost free-bag), except if it's stolen from/with a car.

Silly I know, but nice to know where you can leave it.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Funny!
Ten years ago this question would not have come up as we were one, large - albeit disfunctional - family of skydivers.
Most gear thieves are amateurs and half of them don't even know what they stole.
Probably half of all stolen parachutes land in dumpsters when thieves realize that they cannot "fence" stolen parachutes.

For example: a few years ago, thieves stole eight rigs from our DZ. Half of them were antiques. The thieves made the mistake of trying to sell them to a retired skydiver. The dilemma was that the skydiver was a member of a group of motorcycle enthusiasts who prefer not to be named. That group does not want to waste time on petty crime. Four days later, the gear returned to the DZ: no questions asked.

Not as funny as the story I heard about Jari Kuosma's (BirdMan) rig getting stolen, and the thief showing up at Skydive DeLand (less than a mile from BirdMan HQ at the time) asking if they wanted to buy a rig (a rig which had JARI stitched on it, along with BirdMan logos). I heard the answer given to him by the Skydive DeLand staff member he approached was: "you have ten seconds head start to start running before I call the cops".
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I heard the answer given to him by the Skydive DeLand staff member he approached was: "you have ten seconds head start to start running before I call the cops".

Why give a thief any chance to get away?

Why not say that you're very interested, please come into my office?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have several similar stories....

The best one was At Ralph Hatleys DZ and this guy shows up trying to sell a stolen rig. He was so stupid he did not even realize the rightful owners name, address, and phone number was written on the reserve packing card.

It was a 3000$ rig and the guy had no idea how much to ask for it. As I recall he wanted $500 or something like that.

Ralph stalled him and told him to wait around for awhile so he could think about it. I think he even flew a load or two while the guy sat there.

Anyway, Ralph eventually told the guy he was not getting anything and he was going to confiscate the stolen property and the police were waiting out in the parking lot. You should have seen the look on this jerks face.:ph34r:

I was a long time ago Jerry.

It was Larry Kelly's rig and Ralph was very business like about it. I think Ralph had last packed the reserve too.

I can't remember the exact words used but Ralph did have the guy wettting himself by the time it was over....There was definetly some "unpleasantness" involved.

No doubt my memory is "slightly" wrong.

speaking of which, where is the beer for your 2 night stay in the swamp? Heated bedroom, en suite lounge. You had it made in z-hills
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?