adventurechick

When to buy my first rig.....

Well, nobody ever starts....as a veteran. I wouldn't worry about gear, until after you finish AFF....concentrate on your training. After that, I'd start looking. First, though....research what you want to fly. Ask your instructors, riggers and other "experienced" jumpers....what they would recommend.
If you are buying used gear, you need to start looking. There isn't always a wide variety to choose from and what's there, tends to go....quick. Don't rush it, look for a good, safe rig. There are some good deals, occasionally. Good Luck!
"T'was ever thus."

So yes, I know I'm pretty new to the sport... still working on getting my A license. Right now I'm jumping on a NAV 200. About how many jumps into the sport should I buy my first rig??

Depends how much rentals cost. At $25 a jump I could have thrown my first rig in the trash after 68 jumps and come out ahead financially. If I sold at that point and taken the standard depreciation of $1/jump for main and container I'd have over $1500 more my pocket towards my next rig than if I'd been renting. It's hard to argue with those economics.

Depends on how available rentals are. I don't think you can make reasonable progress learning to skydive if you're not making more than a couple of jumps a weekend because you're spending those jumps getting over being nervous. At my home DZ, AFF students got priority and I wouldn't have been making more than 1-2 jumps a day with rental equipment.

Depends on what's available to rent. If I was renting I could have jumped a 295 Skymaster. Period. Down-sizing to a reasonable 1.0:1 wing loading would have been impossible on rental gear.

If any of those describe the rental situation near you, you might want to buy the first reasonably priced used rig you find that's airworthy, has safe sized canopies (wing loading no more than 1.0 pounds/square foot, less if you're small, see Brian Germain's chart), fits you, and has a Cypres (or is at least Cypres ready).

I bought my own gear and used it from jump 13 on (the first 5 after AFF had to be made on the DZ's gear).

If you can have gear for $100 a month with unlimited jumps on whatever you want, you might as well rent until you figure out what you want and find something more ideal.

You might get bored with your first canopy (even though you still have a lot to learn on it) and want to replace it (I bought a different main after ~75 jumps). Containers are often only good for 2 sizes less than what they were built for. That's fine - if you bought used, depreciation is usually $1/jump for the main, and the same for the container. It won't cost you anything to put some mileage on what's safe now.

If you can shop arround before buying for a good deal and wait for the right buyer, you can even get back what you paid.

Got any friends that have a rig to loan?

I've loaned rigs that I have finished with to several students to let them get a hundred or two jumps before needing to make a decision on what gear to buy. It would serve you well to either borrow or buy used until you are in a better position to buy a rig that will last far longer than if you buy one that is good for now but too big for next year.

jon

I have 60 jumps. I think this is a good number befire you get your first rig. Also Jump around demo stuff. I was able to find that Wings fit me the best. They are also very nice rigs and perfect for general all around use. Also Try different Canopies I jumped a Nav 200 as well and then with more jumps came more canopies to try. Try out the Sabre2 is was my absolute favorite! I knew right when I jumped that this was the canopy i was looking for. All the best and I hope you get a good deal and have fun with your new rig!

Blue Skies!

To buy a rig without first making a few jumps seems to me to be a waste of $. I would get a few jumps under your belt, demo some canopies, barrow your friends stuff if its similar to what you want. Then talk to more people and demo some more. Now its time to buy. You will most likely enjoy your equipment much more and wont need to upgrade to something else as quickly, It will save you a lot of money and frustration in the long run. But if you don't have any problem with funds, go for it, buy as soon as you think you know what you want. if money is no object then the risk is almost nil. Good luck, have fun.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Now's a good time to start thinking about what you want. There are some great articles on this site to help you begin that process. It's a good time also to peek at the classifieds to get an idea of what's on the market, what prices are, and what you might plan on spending, even though you may not be ready to buy yet.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml

Focus in particular on the articles by Lisa Briggs- great info on buying your first set of gear.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

At my home DZ, AFF students got priority and I wouldn't have been making more than 1-2 jumps a day with rental equipment.

I had this problem to a smaller degree. Were I lighter, there would have been more sport rig rental options.

Still think it's better to have the A, perhaps have rented from different DZs to get a little more exposure to different products. That lead me to my container choice.

All the questions about containers, main, etc. can set your brain on fire.

I started small, with an altimeter.

My next purchase will be a helmet.

After that a jumpsuit.

All the while I'm talking to people about rigs. There are so many friendly, helpful people in these gear stores that will gladly help you with all your questions.

Right here on DZ.com there are tons of resources. Links to the factories and great articles on buying gear, etc.

My last jump was number 67 and I'm still looking for that "right" rig. I hate renting, but I'd hate even more to buy the "wrong" rig.

I feel like I'm closing in on that right rig, should have one soon.

Best of luck to you,

i rented for a little while......230's and 210's then got given a 190 and at about the 100 jump mark i went out and bought a brand new rig with a 168 in it.

i talked to riggers and experienced people, most of them said leave it til about 100 jumps and get summat u can progress SAFELY on without getting bored.

my dz was happy with the way i had progressed under different canopies, and were happy to let me jump my new rig (its small enuff there for people to know what you are up to)

i didnt listen to people who kept saying 'get a 150...get a 150' what i have now is more than enough for me to learn on for a good couple a hundred jumps AT LEAST!.(and i can put another sized canopy into it if required after time)..i'm in no rush.i spent that money on a new rig cos i knew i was gonna be keeping it for a long time.

one thing i will always remember being said to me is from a good mate who isnt hugely experienced...he said-"all my mates who have downsized from a 190 to a 150 have ended up doing themselves an injury....dont bother mate..take your time" wise words.

dont forget all these sizes i have mentioned are only relative to my own exit weight, yours will be different.:)
----------------------------------------

I AM THE ATMOSPHERE HOOLIGAN