stasiek

Cessna rate of climb !

I have question
Who can give me true info what is rate of climb with skydivers on board
cessna 172 piston ?
cessna 182 piston ?
cessna 206 piston ?
what is fuel consumption per flight or hour ?

I need real performace because i looking for good solution to small DZ

stasiek

For a C182 with a "normal" engine (man, would I love a 330hp), you should count on just under 2 loads (four jumpers) per flying hour to 10,000. Figure around 14 gals. per hour. That's my experience with a small DZ in Pennsylvania.

Taking a C182 above 10,000 is not very fuel efficient.

A standard C-182 with a O-470, 230hp, full, with 4 jumpers takes about 20 to get to ten. It consumes about 10 to 12 gallons. Summer and winter make substantial dif. At times you can't make ten with the fuel on board in the summer.

I don't have the time in a 206 or 172, but a 172 would be useless with more then 3 on board and would probably consume the same amount of fuel as the 182 and take a little longer.

On the other hand, a 206 would get up in a similar amount of time and carry 5. Depending on the engine, fuel consumption should be more then the 182 just a little.

If the engine is a real monster all these planes can perform much better. It just maters how much money you want to spend.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

For a C182 with a "normal" engine (man, would I love a 330hp), you should count on just under 2 loads (four jumpers) per flying hour to 10,000. Figure around 14 gals. per hour. That's my experience with a small DZ in Pennsylvania.

Taking a C182 above 10,000 is not very fuel efficient.

Sounds about right to me. There are quite a few variables though, such as temps, model 182 (after they widened the body again in 64/65 they got heavier, and slower), how strong the engine is, etc.

I have a D (1960) model 182, we go to 11k (1300 ground elevation), and turn loads 35 min or so figuring in taxi time, loading, etc. It has an O470R (later engine, breathes better, larger exhaust), built by Western Skyways in Colorado. It now has 1300 hours on it and still running compressions above 70.

Martin
Air Capital Drop Zone
Wichita Kansas
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Stock Cessna 172s border on useless. They only carry 3 jumpers and will not climb above 5,000 feet on hot, summer days.
Cessna 172s with large engines (Hawk XP, Rhiems Rocket and after-market conversions) climb almost as well as 182s. They even climb well with 4 jumpers on board, just not sure if that is legal.

Cessna 182 are the most popular for good reasons. They climb at 400 to 800 feet per minute all day, every day. This means 2 loads to 10,000 per hour or 3, maybe 4 loads to 3,000 feet. Their only limitation is that they are not economical above 10,000 feet.

Cessna 206 carries more jumpers (5 or 6) and climbs quicker, but burns substantially more fuel.

Cessna 207 may carry more jumpers (up to 7) but it only pays when hauling static-liners to low altitudes.

We just did a Pponk conversion to one of our 182's upgrading from the 0-470 to an 0-470-50. It took us from 230 hp to 270 hp and was well worth the money. Fuel burn only went up a gallon or so and we can hold manifold pressure much higher now. Something to think about if you end up with a 182 with a tired engine.

-Dave

Skydive Radio

For the 182, between 500 and 1500 ft per minute, depending on the prop and engine configuration. Average/mean is 1,000 ft per minute most times. Alot of this depends on the pilot's skill/experience as well.

edit: and of course also varies with air conditions (temp and pressure).
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I flew a 182 for a vegas DZ for a while and would see anything from 1500 to -200 fpm on the vsi depending on the day. We almost always had 2 tandems on board.

We would go to 11000 msl for tandems and 13000 for AFF and on some days, the only way up was in the updraughts along ridges.

The hobbs would read anything from 0.3 to 0.7 from start up to shut down for 1 lift.

You guys put 5 in a 182? You must have a DZ of midgets :S

You can do with with 5 small people in a wide-body 182. Especially if it's jazzed up with a STOL kit and wingtip extensions.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

You guys put 5 in a 182? You must have a DZ of midgets :S

You can do with with 5 small people in a wide-body 182. Especially if it's jazzed up with a STOL kit and wingtip extensions.

how much does such a jazzed up 182 run generally, w/ a low-time engine?

chris martin's old 182 wasn't too bad, but that old bastard (bows head) would always put me in front behind the firewall and not in the roomy back b/c of my weight... afraid i'd stall it out >:(

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Heh we have the wide-bodied 182. And by no means are all the people at the DZ dwarves. There are some real heavy dudes with long legs. I's certainly doable on normal bodied 182s too - it takes a little experience to get it loaded right.

Only time I have a difficulty is when there are two of the big tandem masters with two big tandem passengers - with the latter having their legs more or less stretched. It leaves my 145lb body in the upper left corner just a little shy of important looking knobs and levers.

I favour paying per pound. Skydiving would be pretty cheap for me then.

Not sure how much gas she uses though - will have to ask the pilots. She isn't extremely thirsty by any means. We have a Continental 300 HK IO-550 engine with a 3-bladed Hartzell Scimitar propeller, as well as wing extentions. Looking at some climb data for today, I see we averaged 18 minutes to 13k with 5 jumpers and around 230m/m climb rate.