Casurf1978

Hard opening question

The last jump of the weekend I had a really interesting hard opening. Basically go to my belly, wave off, go for the pud and pull. One thing I did notice was that I felt my torso dip a little when I pulled. Almost like going into a dive. Could this have affected the opening which in turn resulted in a really hard opening with a nice set of line twists. Someone mentioned that it could've been a line dump, I doubt it cuz it's new gear and I make sure the lines are neatly secured and if any of the rubber bands look worn I replace them. I know it's trivial in the scheme of things but just curious as to what the cause could've been. I'm also considering the s*&^t happens factor when deploying a parachute hurling 120mph towards mother earth.

what size canopy was the mirage made for

what size rubber bands do you use...

edited to add...you can also move the slider around when the canopy is being put in the bag I always check as I am S folding that the grommits stay up by the canopy and dont move around to much...

and lastly
sometimes when order comes from chaos...ouch occurs...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I suddenly started having problems with my openings....hard, thrown on my back, line twists....bizarre stuff.

I truly believe it was the way I stowed my lines. I was double wrapping large rubber bands (the little ones hurt my fingers).

A friend of mine pulled the bag from the container on the ground and noted that the stows were not releasing systematically - which would make sense to translate into very erratic openings. I use small rubber bands now...fingers hurt like hell, but my openings have since been very nice.

is

> Could this have affected the opening . . .

Yes.

1. A head-down position increases your speed and decreases your burble. That generally results in a harder opening.

2. A head-down position requires you to rotate 120 degrees instead of 90 degrees. This makes the opening feel more violent.

3. If one shoulder is low, then the parachute will open assymetrically. This generally results in line twists and harder openings, since the slider will be forced down the lines on one side.

>. Someone mentioned that it could've been a line dump,

Very unlikely. They are rare, and generally produce explosive openings (i.e. the openings destroy lines and harnesses.)

Casurf....

Pretty much what Bill said... to which I'll add... I think what you experienced is more likely due to having dumped in a more "head-down" body position rather then line dump. Its kinda like not flaring out of a track and dumping, i.e. just dumping while in a track, can casue some real interesting openings.

Personally (i.e. just my 2 cents) I think line dump is blamed far more then it being the actual cause of hard openings. Not to say that it cannot cause problems, but how likely do you think it that all of the line stows got stripped before the canopy got out of the bag? Even if some of them did, if any of the locking stows remained intact, then the canopy would still be bagged at line stretch. Same thing, different words, for line dump to be the true and absolute culprit, the canopy would have to get out of the bag before line strech; which would mean all of the stows would have to come un-done before line strech. Anyway, just my guess based on experience... to really prove it... you'd have to go do a series of test jumps... you could pack your canopy, bag it, never do any of the stows -- just neatly S-fold the lines in the bottom of the container, route the risers, put the bag in the tray, close the container in the normal manner and go jump it a few times packed this way while having someone video you. Anyone game for that!!??! ;)
:P

Anyway, I was just kidding about jumping a main canopy packed like that. I wouldn't and wouldn't recommend anyone do so.

Anyway, anyway, I noticed that Casurf says he's jumping a Sabre2-170. I found it interesting that he said he had a hard opening on this canopy. I to have been jumping a Sabre2-170 for quite some time now and don't think I can say I've ever had what I'd call a hard opening, as compared to a hard opening on an old Sabre... :S. Now I've had some Sabre2 openings that I'd call "firm" as compared to others, but not hard. In fact, as of late (since having my Sabre2 re-lined about 60 jumps ago) I've been trying to get the thing to open "more quickly"... didn't think you'd ever hear anyone say that, huh... but anyway, the thing likes to open about half-way, most of the canopy inflated except the end cells and the slider about a 1/3 of the way up and then you have to haul down on the rear risers to get the slider down the rest of the way, collapse the slider, unstow the breaks and pump the end cells open... snivels are okay, but only to a point!
:o

Forgot to uncollapse/quarter slider?

I had one of 'em last summer. Felt like i'd been hit by a bus and the little stars were doing the 'dancing in frot of eyes' trick. Given my head is still on, i think it was the latter...

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Ive been jumping a friends SabreI for a few weeks now and due to my jump #s and experience and with the history of the SabreI openings, ive been very carful with packing. So far (knock on wood) ive done all recommended packing techniquies and have had good openings. definately different than the Spectre i was jumping before. Just a funny story... I saw a guy packing his shit last week while talking on his cell phone. I thought that stuff only related to driving cars but it was still funny. Oh yeah, a buddy of mine showed me a new way to quarter the slider on the SabreI. Try to put a bit more and create a pocket over the nose with the slider over the nose. The one jump ive done like that created a much slower opening.