flyaway

PILOT CHUTE DEPLOYMENT/ALTITUDE

fROM THE INITIAL PILOT CHUTE PULL TO ACUTAL OPENING OF THE CANOPY, HOW MUCH ALTITUDE IS LOST?

This really depends on a lot of things, the canopy size, your weight, your body position and speed at opening (both vertical and horizontal speeds, in the case of a hop and pop). The type of canopy makes a large difference, as well as the size of the slider, and how the rig was packed makes a difference to (you can roll the nose to slow down openings).

Opening fast isn't always best. I jump an Icaras Safire canopy as my main, and it takes about 800 feet to open every time... but i'm told that my reserve would probably open in 300.... but these are all averages and estimates. I havn't had a researve deployment yet.

This doesn't mean that I would even CONSIDER cutting away at 500 ft... My hard deck is 1,800ft

Your post didn't indicate if you're a skydiver or not, and your profile has not been configured, so i'm writing this as if you're not a skydiver and just interested to know, sorry if i'm pointing out things that are obvious.

-Matt
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

As my 5,000 hop and pop clear and pull on Saturday at the Ranch which went something like, "ENOUGH WITH THE SNIVEL WILL YOU PLEASE F%CKING OPEN ALREADY WITH ENOUGH FABRIC TO COVER THE SUPERDOME FOR F%CKS SAKE OH, THERE WE GO..." I'd say a lot depends on fall speed. :D

My Stiletto opens in almost exactly 500 feet. I roll the nose 5 times.

I have owned 3 Stilettos over the last 2400 skydives and don’t believe rolling the nose has anything to do with the rate at which a Stiletto or Saber for that matter inflates. The moment the canopy leaves the D-Bag the pack job is shot, the body position at deployment time and slider regulate the rate of inflation.

Of course that is just what I subscribe to, I could be wrong...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

The moment the canopy leaves the D-Bag the pack job is shot, the body position at deployment time and slider regulate the rate of inflation.

Agree completely. When I watch people pack I'm reminded of dogs that walk in a circle 3 times before they lie down. They don't know why they do it - but if they didn't they wouldn't sleep.. There's so much mumbo jumbo voodoo bullshit around packing...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree completely.

See? I may be wrong.

I often wonder though, if some people with 300, or 900, or 2800, or 4000 dives just have some super deployment diagnostic sense that I don't have. They're always "too fast, too hard, off heading" etc Only thing I really don't like are canopies that don't open, or that make me think they won't open by snivelling for 1000+ feet. I pack like shit. It looks so bad it literaly scares people - but it works. (At least for the past several 1000 dives, anyway.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

<--snip--> don’t believe rolling the nose has anything to do with the rate at which a Stiletto or Saber for that matter inflates. <--/snip>

i gotta disagree, with the sabre part anyway. i have a 190, and because of all the horror stories about getting slammed, i was trying everything to slow it down, rolling the nose to the center, pulling the slider way out front, rolling the tail 5 or 6 times etc., and it was taking so long to open it was scaring me! i backed off on rolling the tail and it sped up openings quite a bit. it was close to 1000 feet before, now it's probably 600 or so.

edited to add: i tired stuffing the nose in for a few jumps as opposed to rolling it, and the openings were very 'abrupt'.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

When I watch people pack I'm reminded of dogs that walk in a circle 3 times before they lie down. They don't know why they do it - but if they didn't they wouldn't sleep.

It is instinctual. They do this to lay the tall grass down before they lie down.

Just a bit of useless trivia.

fROM THE INITIAL PILOT CHUTE PULL TO ACUTAL OPENING OF THE CANOPY, HOW MUCH ALTITUDE IS LOST?

Less than 50 (big 7-cell with a mesh slider and fast jump run opening as soon as you clear the plane) to more than 1000 feet (snivelly modern canopy working as designed).

Your vertical speed, the canopy, and your airspeed all have substantial effects.

When I watch people pack I'm reminded of dogs that walk in a circle 3 times before they lie down. They don't know why they do it - but if they didn't they wouldn't sleep..

There's so much mumbo jumbo voodoo bullshit around packing...

I often wonder though, if some people with 300, or 900, or 2800, or 4000 dives just have some super deployment diagnostic sense that I don't have. They're always "too fast, too hard, off heading" etc Only thing I really don't like are canopies that don't open, or that make me think they won't open by snivelling for 1000+ feet. I pack like shit. It looks so bad it literaly scares people - but it works.

After I stoped laughing till my belly hurt, I decided this was worth starting a thread concerning this issue under safety and training:

"The Mumbo Jumbo Voodoo of Packing… "

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2131873#2131873

Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…