psustang89

Newbie Question

If you cannot get your pilot shoot out and therefore your main canopy, is it necessary to cut away before pulling the reserve?

There are a couple different schools of thought about how to deal with that situation. Most on here will be unwilling to take a chance of contradicting your instructor's method, so will refer you to your instructor instead of offering advice.

For Great Deals on Gear

It would be considered by many dammed irresponsible to answer such a question in detail other than to say “Talk to your instructors”.

But screw those guys! I will answer you question anyway.

Talk to your instructors.

The lack of information in your profile does not tell a lot, so I do not now if you have 4 tandems, 4 solo skydives or 4 jumps off an antenna but I will state that the question you asked is elementary knowledge you should already have acquired if you are making solo skydives. Please make certain that you are in complete understanding of the gear, the possible problems that could arise and their solutions before making solo skydives.

Oh yeah, one more thing - Talk to your instructors.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

First things first: pilot "chute." How many of you were just waiting for someone to do that for an opportunity to use the "pilot shoot" joke.

Anywho, I'm positive my instructor covered that in my 1st jump course last Sunday. I was just thinking about things afterwards and going over possible senerios in my head, and I wasn't positive of the answer. My answer would have been "no", but I was just checking. Now I know, "ask my instructor."

I have 3 tandems and took my level 1 AFF jump on Sunday. Thanks.

If you cannot get your pilot shoot out and therefore your main canopy, is it necessary to cut away before pulling the reserve?

I am new also. I keep a small notebook and write down questions that come to mind between visits to the DZ. I suggest that you do the same thing. All kinds of situations will come to mind. The instructors don't mind answering the questions, that is why they are instructors. If you ask different people you will only get confused.

Your question sounds simple, but is related to much more complicated and important scenarios that are related depending on whether the PC has come out or not. Since you are wondering about what to do if the PC is not out at all, you really should also cover the PC in tow and horseshoe scenario with your instructors in detail.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think I'm glad I didn't post my one student question on here - you lot would have all been laughing too hard to even type "Ask your instructor" :D I know my instructor had a really good giggle about it... :D :D
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

I think I'm glad I didn't post my one student question on here - you lot would have all been laughing too hard to even type "Ask your instructor" :D I know my instructor had a really good giggle about it... :D :D

Ok... now I'm really curious what that question would be...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

In my defence this was before I'd even done my tandem - just starting the training!! :D

I asked...if you have a malfunction and cutaway your main do you just wait for your cypress to fire? *flinch* Nobody hit me! :D :D
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

screw that. yeah sure ask your instructor. But this is something that is easily answered. If you didnt even pull your pilot chute their is absolutly no reason to waste time and altitude cutting away. Im sure im going to get slammed for answering this but oh well. The way i see it some questions can be answered here. Like, if i jump should i open my parachute. How much knowledge does that take to answer. The latter question may not be as simple but pretty close to it.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I asked...if you have a malfunction and cutaway your main do you just wait for your cypress to fire?

I'll try not to laugh... I'll try not to laugh.. I'll try not to laugh....

:D:D ok.. that didn't work... :D
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

screw that. yeah sure ask your instructor. But this is something that is easily answered. If you didnt even pull your pilot chute their is absolutly no reason to waste time and altitude cutting away. Im sure im going to get slammed for answering this but oh well. The way i see it some questions can be answered here. Like, if i jump should i open my parachute. How much knowledge does that take to answer. The latter question may not be as simple but pretty close to it.

And what about if this student has been taught to always cutaway? How does he know FOR SURE there's no pilotchute out? Was he taught a hard deck for just pulling reserve?

You may just have screwed up his thinking. With so few jumps, a student needs to listen to his instructors. PERIOD.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

...I am new also. I keep a small notebook and write down questions that come to mind between visits to the DZ. I suggest that you do the same thing. All kinds of situations will come to mind. The instructors don't mind answering the questions, that is why they are instructors. If you ask different people you will only get confused.

Now this is the most intelligent response I've ever seen from a newbie...good stuff, Drae.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I asked my instructor what to do with a pilot chute in tow.
She said do what I've taught you to do,cut away and pull your reserve.
I said but on the Breakaway video they 'advise' going strait for the reserve because the container is still closed and there's no main to cut away.
She said you don't have the experience to make that call or the time or altitude,you don't know what's you've 'got out' follow the EP's you've been taught.
I trust my instructor more than anyone else,what she says goes.;)
No time for any indecision up there,I know what I'm gonna do if the S**t hits the fan [:/]
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.