LisaH

AFF 3

Good luck...

Tell your instructors you hate the door...

They might have some ideas for ya.

I personally love the door... On warm days, we open the door to the otter at 2000 feet, and I sit next to it so I can stick my hand out, look out, get fresh air, etc...

It will take time, but you will be there too...

Sometime you will have the opportunity to sit in the back of a skyvan and look down thru the floor for the ride to altitude... The first time I did that was in MOAB for the boogie... I was on the bench, with my feet on the door ramp, and a 2 foot gap under me. Awesome views.

OMG...I hate it when the door opens! I can't watch them go out. My instructor is cool...he tries to keep me entertained in the plane. I just want to land standing up this time. So I will focus on that and not the exit.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I felt that way until I had about 50 jumps. But like tdog said, now I LOVE the door. I get off watching people leave now. :D

But don't be too anxious for that fear to go away. You can't really get it back . . . and oddly enough, you might miss it just a bit when it's gone. ;)

reminds me of my first skydive... "OMG, they just jumped out of an airplane!!! Wait, I'm gonna do that too!!! WTF did i get myself into?????" and yet, at the same time.. it was very reassuring, seeing others jump out, meant i would 'be ok'.

good luck on your levels.. and don't forget the beer!
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

OMG...I hate it when the door opens! I can't watch them go out. My instructor is cool...he tries to keep me entertained in the plane. I just want to land standing up this time. So I will focus on that and not the exit.

Me too! No matter how much I have convinced myself that my fear of the door has gone, every time it opens I still hate it! I especially hate going first! And I tell my instructors and always make it a point that as soon as the door is open I turn away from it so I don't have to see other people jump..
But I find that if there are tandems on the plane watching me, I put on this brave cool act and it actually makes me less nervous! :P
So you're not alone.. & good luck!!!

I'm going for my lvl5 wednesday.I get excited when the door opens now instead of nervous! Watched a guy do a vectored diving exit with hands and arms back and feet together on my lvl3 jump. He peeled away like a fighter plane...most beautiful thing I ever sawB|. Main thing is to relax(this is FUN!)
Mentally making the jump several times first helps alot. Im always more nervous about missing a prcp,or alt.check,or a wave off. Watch the other exits,you might get lucky and see a real pro like I did. Now my mouth only gets dry from airbrushing my teeth!:D Good luck and try to relax,after all...you already know whats outside that door...
Blue skies
I'm fine...crazy people don't know they're crazy...No,Really!

It was my third jump that i got my first stand up landing. Good luck man! As for fear... I dont get that really. I realize I have low jump numbers, but it was like, after that first AFF, I was pretty confident that I was going to be ok... then it was nothing but a nice relaxing view as I got up to altitude. But I can understand people who still get scared.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

The best advice an instructor gave me about door fear during AFF was this:

Instructor: "What is the worst that can happen?"

Me: "I might fall out."

Instructor: "Well, isn't that the whole idea?"

So simple, but it made me laugh and I relaxed in the door from then on. :)
Bliss is right outside that door!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Sorry about that :( Hope it's better next time you're out :)

I did my AFF recently, then I had to do a check-out dive at the next DZ I went to. I was terrified of the door all along, but I got out because there was someone else waiting for me (instructor).

My first solo, I very nearly went back down with the plane :) But it seems to get easier every time.

Heh - I was fine on my solo exits with an Instructor... no problems there, but then Ed was very good about putting me at my ease.

My problem came in on my first total solo. I wasn't jumping with anyone, there was no-one going out the door at the same time as me, and for some reason that terrified me. Sure, by this point I had 9 jumps in my logbook, and graduated AFF, but that solo...

I think the only reason I went in the end is that I was scheduled to be second out the door and there were about 8 other people waiting behind me. I couldn't have faced them if I backed down, so I jumped out of the plane :D

Turns out that it was the most awesome dive of my (seriously limited) jump career, so it was totally worth it. That's what I'm holding onto for my next solo - that feeling of freedom... planned my own jump, then jumped it - You'll love that!

I can relate to your fear.

I used to hesitate when I was AFF and learning with a Cessna 182.

Then my whuffo brother-in-law made a comment to this. "Judy, it's just like going from room to another."

That made a huge difference.

Another thing is that when I visualize the dirt dive.. I visualize the "feel" of the wind. Something like this, "the wind will feel strong. it will hit me on the face. I have to hold on but get in place."

I know it's simple and maybe silly but talking about..making it real..made it less scary.

When I am outside float, and I am waiting out there. I smile and say "Hi friend! yes, this is what I knew you would feel like."

Find some way to confront and be friends with that door. Without it we would never have the joy of being a skydiver! ;)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!