jumpingjimmy

Buying beer for "firsts" an American thing?

Is this an American tradition more than anything?

I did my AFF last year at what is arguably the busiest DZ in England (langar) and no mention of buying beer was made. I've not seen the tradition done by anybody at the DZ to be honest.

Is it a tradition that is dieing out, or just mainly done in America? I see it a bit like tipping, i don't tip (if you want more money, go and get a better job, nobody makes you take a poorly paid job) so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid

It's done here in Canada too. Along with a bootle to your rigger if you use their pack job before it's due for repack and the traditional pieing on your 100th jump.
Any other traditions out there?

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

It is a tradition at Hinton, tradition in new zealand as well. So no, it is not just an american thing.
Not trying to offend you but alot of students dont buy beer because they have not really gotten to know anybody yet to where they can call you out on a beer shout. This however changes very quickly. It is a shame that students have a hard time fitting in straight away but i have found that students ask alot of questions that people do not feel comfortable answering as they dont want to tell you different from your instructors. So in one way it can be socially wrong but in another way this could save lives.
Trust me, you land off the dz you will be buying beer, if nobody calls you out act on your own and put a shout in.
Next time somebody puts a shout in, go up and say that you owe one for passing aff or getting a license and then people will notice that.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid

You dont have to but then again that day you cant afford to jump i doubt with that attitude that anyone will shout you a jump.

It is about celebration of many different things, celebrating being alive, passing, landing safely if you land off etc...

It is a great tradition that has made skydiving the social sport it is. You are not obliged to nut when you see someone shout, if you dont think you should have to, dont take part in their shout.

If you dont drink beer, buy a pizza or something. It is an excellent tradition and makes the end of the day alot of fun. With buying beer, what goes around comes around. Guaranteed.

Good stuff for passing AFF... you owe beer!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

In the UK beer is bought for more achievements like licences, ratings, reaching X-hundred jumps than just any minor 'first' but it is still an established tradition.

Also when you say this,

I see it a bit like tipping, i don't tip (if you want more money, go and get a better job, nobody makes you take a poorly paid job) so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid

That's really not what the beer rule is about. You don't just buy a crate for your instructor, you buy beer to be shared out to everyone. Its a friendly gesture and if you give, you will receive;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The beer is not specifically a tip for instructors. Beer is for everyone.

Beer for firsts was explained to me like this:
Skydivers will toast your accomplishments, but are too lazy to buy the alcohol to do so, so you buy beer then they toast your accomplishment. If you see free beer at the DZ find out who and why, and then toast appropriately. You never know you may just make a new friend.

Penalty beer:
It is not so much about the beer as it is about staying safe. However you should buy the beer. Then when people ask where the beer came from they will say who and why, and you just might learn something to help you not make the same mistake again.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

i can see what you're saying, but at Langar i've not seen a single crate of beer brought in for people, it just doesn't happen. i didn't do it, i've not seen any other students do it, and people dont seem to hang around too long at the close of play anyway. I've stopped a couple of times and had a pint or two at the bar there, but it doesn't seem to be a proper drinking sesion that people have... maybe because people have to drive home

I'm not trying to say it's unfriendly down at langar, quite the opposite actually. it seems very easy to get chatting to people down there, including the experienced jumpers. it's just that i've not seen anybody wander in with a crate of ale.

as to the "buy me a jump ticket" comment, if i dont buy beer, i'll be able to buy my own jump tickets ;) and if i land out, i'll just walk back... a walk never killed anybody, and it's not as if i'm going to land 10 miles away, if i did that, the walk back would be the least of my worries :)

I have never seen anyone bring a crate in at Hinton either. I think you will find cause if the dropzone has their own bar it is kind of rude to bring your own alcohol on to their premises. At hinton you just put a note over the bar and mark down on paper how many beers are in the kitty and then people cross a line off when they take a beer. So maybe they do this at langar as well?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Is it a tradition that is dieing out, or just mainly done in America?

It happens in Australia.

I see it a bit like tipping ... so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid

Completely wrong. Beer is for sharing. When you get a licence you buy beer. Everyone who drinks one then asks "who bought the beer", and goes and says thanks. You then get to know people and become part of the dz. Everyone wins.

I wonder if in the US it came from the early days.

When I started the jump course cost $100.00 and a case of beer. First free fall, a case of beer. First link up, case of beer. and on and on and.....

Anyway, the fridge had a lock on it and it was not opened until the last load left the ground. And if you were able, you could drink that case.

Anyway, just a look back into a tradition where I started.........many..........many.........years ago.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I agree with lots of these posters. I like buying beer for my firsts cuz i learn a sh*tload from the experienced guys from all their firsts. ive never looked at it like a tip. I suppose when i have my first cut away *knocking on wood* it just seems right to at least buy my rigger a bottle assuming my reserve opens (repeat the knocking), will have saved my arse! buy beer, be friendly, and learn stuff!

P.S. I tip cuz im a server, sometimes income IS tips, as for getting a better job, when i graduate from Vandy in a couple weeks I certainly will!!! More to life that whats on the surface mah friend! buy beer
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I see it a bit like tipping, i don't tip (if you want more money, go and get a better job, nobody makes you take a poorly paid job) so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid <<<<<<

I can tell your type before you sit down, and that is why I spit in your food!;)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I see it a bit like tipping, i don't tip (if you want more money, go and get a better job, nobody makes you take a poorly paid job) so i dont really see why i should buy a case of beer for people who are already getting paid <<<<<<

I can tell your type before you sit down, and that is why I spit in your food!;)

You might find he comes from a country where waitstaff are actually paid a good wage... ;)

[Beer] for Firsts = worldwide thing (and a good thing at that, especially when you move beyond the first few years of buying mega beer to enjoying other people's beer :)
In fact, here in Australia, we are running a boogie called the Beer Bell Boogie, so-called because we think that everybody registered will be doing some kind of FIRST and thus having to buy BEER. :)

Tipping = American thing. That's why overseas waiters/waitresses love American customers - they feel obliged to tip! :P I remember really resenting tipping when I first came to the USA until I realised that those people were being paid a subsistence wage and relied on tips to live.

nothing to see here

Sniff, um, hock....thugh. all in the mayo.:P

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan