jumpingjimmy

Curved main pin

If you get a pullout system your pin IS straight. But then the pin is pulled from the side instead of from above.

Try picturing a straight pin that's lying flat with a regular pilotchute pulling from above. It then has to pull the pin out at a 90o angle. If you want to try this, be my guest ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It took a long time for the curved pin to be developed. Before that throw out pc rigs were closed in a number of ways. So had a straight pin, some used a bungie cord loop and a fold of the bridle through that to close the main. All of theses had issues with causing PC's in tow.

The straight pin if pulled 90 degrees to the direction of the pin (straight up from the container) can form a lever. The end of the pin is against the pack, the pridle is pulling up on the other end, and the pin doesn't slip out of the loop. Bungie and bidle could have too much friction or knot/ball/wad up and not get pulled.

The curved pin allows the pin to rotate out of the loop against the gromment even when pulled at 90 degrees. IF IT ISN'T SEATED TOO FAR!. Push your cured pin in all the way to the eye AS A TEST. Turn it down flat and hold it flat with a finger. Pull on the pin with the bridle on the opposite side from the blade of the pin. It can also jam like a straight pin when this is done. Some earlier curved pins had the eye on the inside of the circumference of the curve of the pin. This really couldn't happen as easily with them. But they were made out of wire that could corrode. Other curved pins were plated. Sometimes the plating would start to flake and the pin could catch on the bridle with the edge of the plating.

The current stainless pin is nice, but I'd prefer one with the eye inside the circumference and one completely round rather than smoothed over sheet stock. Price is probably in the way of a pin like that.

With pull out main deployment systems the jumper pulls the pin with the handle and extracts the PC. So they use a straight pin because the pull is in line with the pin.

The direction of the pull of a reserve pin is inline with the pin itself. The placement of the ripcord housing and it being secured ensures the direction of the pull. Also most RSL have a guide ring that also directs the pull of the RSL on the cable to be in the direction of the pin.

The difference is a PC pulling the curved pin at 90 degrees versus the ripcord pulling the staight pin in line.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>one completely round rather than smoothed over sheet stock.

Remember the pins that were basically a piece of (round) wire stock welded to a washer? I always worried about that weld. But it did seem to rotate much more easily.

It took a long time for the curved pin to be developed.

The curved pin as we know it today took about 20 minutes to design by two guys who had way more beer than the law allows in the wee hours of the morning in a parachute loft in Perris. It is made of flat stock because when it rotates up to slide out there are only 2 small points of contact with the loop making it that much easier to remove.

The type that BillV mentions were copy cat versions of the original.

In my opinion it is one of the 4 major improvements in sport gear in the last thirty years.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What are your thoughts on the yellow cable for the main closing pin?

I first saw it on a Scottish buddies tear drop. I have mulled it over for some time to try to come up with a real downside to it and Im not sure I can aside from the possibility of getting kinked, but how likely is that? I mean it seemed it would have been harder to dislodge it by accident. Any thoughts on the cable vs the curved pin?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

We've went through all kinds of cables. Yellow, Black, Clear, and flex pins on tandems, etc. I can't remember a throw out with a cable pin but there probably was.

The yellow cable real isn't stiff enough. Most ripcord student rigs use coated cable through the loop. I haven't paid enough attention to be able to quote plastic type and cable construction and size. But its the black "stuff":P

It can get kinked. In some cases the plastic can strip off the cable. Remember there are only a couple of pounds of force on the cable when used for the cutaway. You can hold a three ring with two fingers, loosly.

If I did it it wouldn't be yellow cutaway cable. Just too soft. But I think the stainless pin is better for a throw out.

I'm not in a technical mood.:S I'll let others more knowledgable chim in.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

We've went through all kinds of cables. Yellow, Black, Clear, and flex pins on tandems, etc. I can't remember a throw out with a cable pin but there probably was.

The yellow cable real isn't stiff enough. Most ripcord student rigs use coated cable through the loop. I haven't paid enough attention to be able to quote plastic type and cable construction and size. But its the black "stuff":P

It can get kinked. In some cases the plastic can strip off the cable. Remember there are only a couple of pounds of force on the cable when used for the cutaway. You can hold a three ring with two fingers, loosly.

If I did it it wouldn't be yellow cutaway cable. Just too soft.

Isn't this what happened here http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/Detailed/167.shtml
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.