JohnRich

Feathered Friends

During some down time today due to solid overcast, the pilot opened an inspection panel on the underside of each Otter wing. He reached inside and started pulling out huge amounts of dried grass and pine needles, carried in there by birds building nests inside the wing. I know that birds have a history of building nests inside airplanes, but I never imagined that they could get inside the wing of an Otter.

The pilot says he usually burns the pile of removed debris, because otherwise the birds just pick it right back up and carry it all back inside the wing again within two days.

From the left wing, amidst the pile of debris, came a nest with baby blue eggs (Photo #1). I don't know if the eggs were already broken inside the wing, or if they were broken during removal and their fall to the ground.

From the right wing, when a pile of grass was pulled out and dropped to the ground, two chicks emerged! It was like the Otter was giving birth, spitting out baby birds. The chicks are too small to fly yet, but getting fairly big.

A rescue effort was begun, and someone got the idea to turn an orange traffic cone upside-down, and stuff it with their nesting material. The chicks were chased down, captured, and placed inside, and seemed content to huddle in there with each other (Photo #2). The cone was then placed about eight feet in the air, and mom & dad were seen re-acquainting themselves with the chicks.

Those chicks have probably flown dozens of rides to altitude during their short lives, with no apparent ill effect. And what do the parents think when their home and babies disappear into the sky over and over again? Did the chicks just go hungry all weekend when the plane is busy?

Wow, that is pretty crazy.. Them birds have managed to survive a lot from the time they were layed to becoming chicks. I am supprised the cold air at altitude didn't kill the eggs.

Wow :o
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I dunno. If you look at the 12 0'clock position on the trash can you can barely make out...the severed head of the mother bird laying on the bench! You sick freaks,,,
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

That's damn cool. Is the DZ going to adopt the happy family?

Well, I made them safe and comfortable, and now it's up to their mom, dad and mother nature to see what happens.

But mother nature can be a cruel bitch sometimes...

It'll be interesting to see if they're still there next weekend. If not, I'll assume they've learned to fly and are out on their own.

I know that birds have a history of building nests inside airplanes, but I never imagined that they could get inside the wing of an Otter.

I wonder where they get in at. My best guess would be around the holes where the flap/aileron linkages go up inside the wing, but I haven't been up close with an Otter in a few months.

The pilot says he usually burns the pile of removed debris, because otherwise the birds just pick it right back up and carry it all back inside the wing again within two days.

Does the Otter get parked outside, or is the hangar porous enough that the birds can easily get in and out and therefore get into the plane?

From the right wing, when a pile of grass was pulled out and dropped to the ground, two chicks emerged!

Underage chicks getting free airplane rides... yep, sounds like a dropzone. What I want to know is, did they get extra altitude?

The cone was then placed about eight feet in the air, and mom & dad were seen re-acquainting themselves with the chicks.

Do you know what kind of birds they are? Just by the eggs, the dark color of the chicks, and relative frequency, I would guess starlings, but it could be a lot of things.

And what do the parents think when their home and babies disappear into the sky over and over again?

Starlings can be either very persistent or very stupid, depending on your point of view. They have been known to attempt to build a nest in a nest box that is already occupied by an owl. This has happened more than once.

Did the chicks just go hungry all weekend when the plane is busy?

In a normal nest, I don't think the parents feed them for perhpas 8 to 10 hours every night, so it's not inconceivable that they could last that long. The parents would have to be on the job pretty hard from dawn until first load, and from sunset load to sunset, but they could probably get enough food into the chicks.

I hope nobody gets in trouble -- these birds have been on several observer rides without rigs on. I wonder if birds have trouble with pencil-preening...

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I wonder where they get in at. My best guess would be around the holes where the flap/aileron linkages go up inside the wing...

I think you've got it. There are a couple of small oval holes on the underside, about half-way out from the fuselage. I don't know what they are there for, but that was the only opening I could see.

Does the Otter get parked outside, or is the hangar porous...

Parked outside.

What I want to know is, did they get extra altitude?

If they showed their plump feathery breasts, they might. But rather than invoke sexual motivations, it might be culinary desire.

Do you know what kind of birds they are? Just by the eggs, the dark color of the chicks, and relative frequency, I would guess starlings, but it could be a lot of things.

I don't know myself, but someone else said starlings also. So it sounds like you made an excellent guess, and are knowledgeable of birds.

I hope nobody gets in trouble -- these birds have been on several observer rides without rigs on.

They have built-in wing suits!

I know that birds have a history of building nests inside airplanes,

well, me and about a dozen of others from my club know that for sure ;) - that's after having an emergency landing in an aircraft which could barely clear the tree tops. It seems that birds made a nest somewhere close to the engine air intake. The nest was apparently sucked in during the takeoff and choked the engine :S

Update: I checked the up-turned traffic cone this weekend, with the bird nest inside. The two chicks were no longer present. So they've flown the coop, and their status is unknown. They may be out on their own at this point, healthy and happy. Or maybe they fell to the ground and were eaten by a cat. Nobody knows... But at least we did what we could to give them another fair chance to grow and continue their path in life. Even if that's to just build more nests inside the wing of the Otter... :S

So they've flown the coop, and their status is unknown.

I looked at the original photos again, and it looks like pretty much all of their down had been replaced by flight feathers, so they may not have been far from fledging when you first found them.

Even if that's to just build more nests inside the wing of the Otter... :S

Maybe some covers with "remove before flight" ribbons are in order... or maybe a resident hawk.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Even if that's to just build more nests inside the wing of the Otter... :S

Maybe some covers with "remove before flight" ribbons are in order...

I think the hole by which they enter the wing is not something that can easily be filled during non-use with one of those foam plugs. There's a control rod coming out of the back edge of the wing, through a hole, and attached to the aeliron (I think). It's outboard of the engine, just past the outboard end of the flaps. (Wishing I had a photo of it...) I saw the pilot this weekend looking up in there for signs of bird movement. The birds apparently enter through the hole around that protruding control rod.