recovercrachead

my wife got ripped off 3 years ago w/ a rig

She bought a rig in 2003 with a res and cypres. Rig was made in 2000. She a Aff instructor who is still working at the ranch said that everything is from 2000. The res was current and I new the rigger so she didn't open it. Then my wife had a bun in the oven so she stopped jumping. Now Im trying to sell the rig and I looked at the cypres and its from 96. I looked at the card and there is a line through the date of the cypres that said 2000. Im not sure but when we looked at the rig there was no line. She paid 2200 for the G3. Im going to have some words with but shes a nice person and I hope she makes good.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

So .... so far what you "know" is that the Cypres is older than what the seller told you it was.

Do you have any reason to suspect the other components were not accurately described when you bought them? Are you going to indepenently verify the age of the components before you try to sell them to someone else and/or before you accuse the seller or badmouth her publicly?

If the gear was misrepresented to you, that sucks, but there's got to be some responsibility on the part of the buyer to verify what you're buying, particularly in the case of something like a Cypres where the age of the component has a direct impact on its useful life and its value.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You paid $2200 for a G3, Reserve and at that time a 7 year old cypres and assumed you had a 3 year old, that still is not a bad price for a container in great shape. The Reserve was worth 700-800, the container was worth 800-1200 and a 7 year old Cypres is worth $400-500. No matter what in 2004 it needed shipped out and sent for a 4/8 year, why didn't you discover this then?

You had 3 years to look at this and just got around to doing it. Your out of luck at this point.

Know thy gear... it will save your life.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

So .... so far what you "know" is that the Cypres is older than what the seller told you it was.

Do you have any reason to suspect the other components were not accurately described when you bought them? Are you going to indepenently verify the age of the components before you try to sell them to someone else and/or before you accuse the seller or badmouth her publicly?

If the gear was misrepresented to you, that sucks, but there's got to be some responsibility on the part of the buyer to verify what you're buying, particularly in the case of something like a Cypres where the age of the component has a direct impact on its useful life and its value.

Lets see im trying to sell the rig that was bought in 2003 and was jumped about 20 times because of the bun in the oven. Everything is open now because I think it might be a couple days past the repack and I can see the factor labels because I dont want to fuck anyone. So does the seller and rigger with packing card have a responsibility
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Dude it was my wifes and she was having my son "the bun" and she stopped jumping. And you know about woman when it comes to value and taking care of things.

Know your gear when jumping yes it will save you life but when your not know your gear so someone isn't fucking you too. I guess that the lesson.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

She bought a rig in 2003 with a res and cypres. Rig was made in 2000. She a Aff instructor who is still working at the ranch said that everything is from 2000. The res was current and I new the rigger so she didn't open it. Then my wife had a bun in the oven so she stopped jumping. Now Im trying to sell the rig and I looked at the cypres and its from 96. I looked at the card and there is a line through the date of the cypres that said 2000. Im not sure but when we looked at the rig there was no line. She paid 2200 for the G3. Im going to have some words with but shes a nice person and I hope she makes good.

You said that she's an AFF Instructor so obviously she's done a bit of jumping herself. Why did she not make all the required checks?
Are you causing shit?

You said that she's an AFF Instructor so obviously she's done a bit of jumping herself. Why did she not make all the required checks?
Are you causing shit?

I think he means that the person who sold it to her is an AFF Instructor.

Dude, I'm sorry. Call me a hard-ass but I just have no sympathy for you. And even less for anyone who jumped it not knowing what they were jumping...several adjectives come to mind and "stupid" is just one of them.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Are you causing shit?

I think he means that the person who sold it to her is an AFF Instructor.

Upon reading your post, and then re-reading the original post a fifth time, I think you're right. But until I did, I, too, thought he was...trying...to say his wife was an AFFI. Not an unreasonable interpretation of "She bought a rig in 2003 with a res and cypres. Rig was made in 2000. She a Aff instructor". I also at first though he was trying to say "I am the new rigger"; but now I realize he was trying to say, "I knew the rigger".
(Not directed at you:) Sometimes a lack of understanding isn't the reader's fault.

The only rigger who packed this rig was the same rigger who pack mine and my wifes rigs for years. Hes the only rigger that packs my friends rigs at the time. The rig was current. The date on the res card of the cypres was false. The battery was fine. Its a fucked up. Please tell me what was unsafe about this. I guess you skydive in a very dangerous place and were just crazy. Nothing was unsafe about the rig.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Since your profile is empty, I can't answer you. But these questions must be asked of people who have the knowledge to answer them. And I don't have the answers, only the questions.

1) Is it required that the rigger actually check the DOM of an AAD on each repack? Or do they go by what's on the data card?

2) Who is responsible for putting the DOM of the AAD on the data card? The rigger or someone else?

Now a question for you.

Evidently, you trusted this rigger with both yours and your wifes gear for some time. I would think that they would have kept an eye out for expirations on anything that would have come about. DON'T YOU?

....Please tell me what was unsafe about this...

Well since you need it spelled out for you...

You didn't find out about any proplem until 3 years after the fact which means you didn't have it opened and fully inspected in the first place. You obviously just went by whatever was on any "cards" instead of having it fully inspected. A full inspection should have been done even if you knew the last rigger. In reality, you didn't have a clue on how "safe" the rig and its components really were.

Does that help?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thats it were all going to die we cant trust riggers now.

You are blaming the person that sold you the rig because you did not check what it was you bought before you bought the damn thing.

Attached is a partial list of the things I check when I do a repack or an inspection for a customer buying a rig. The information is not taken off the PDC it is confirmed from the individual components.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals