NoWorriesNIkky

Is static line any fun?

Youll really appreciate that when you have your license and that 3000ft hop n pop costs you $5 at Lodi. $20 can make a fun friday afternoon.

Hey hjumper,

I see you are from Sacramento. Yea, Mr Dause does have good prices from what I have found compared to other DZ's.

If you are there this Friday I will be on day 2 of my course. Hope to see ya around.

Nichole

No Worries, You're Good!

It has already been mentioned that line twists, while initially disconcerting to the static line jumper, are no big deal.

Another minor issue is that the jumper sometimes notices the bagged parachute being dragged across / past their shoulder and arm, as they fall away from the aircraft in an arch. Sometimes disconcerting but not a problem. [This assumes a direct bag system.]

Since a static line student gets a lot of canopy flights, try to to make good use of the time. There's always instructional emphasis on the exit from the plane, in order to progress to practice pulls and freefall. Don't neglect the canopy flight part. Make sure the instruction system also provides things to work on under canopy -- wind checks, canopy control, accuracy practice, riser turns, incipient stalls, or whatever might be called for by the DZ or national standards.

A minor point - I made a mistake on a dummy pull, and was a little quick off the mark. The aircraft was a PAC750 with a left hand door. I got my arm over the static line, and my arm nearly came off (I exagerate a little, but not a huge amount). I had previously done a number of SL jumps from aircraft with right hand doors. These seem to have less risk of an entanglement for dummy pulls.

Static-line jumps can be fun ... as long as you approach them with fun in mind.
Starting in 1977, I did more than 30 static-line jumps.

Perversely, I even enjoyed military static-line jumps from C-130s. I may not have enjoyed standing in the airplane - forever - with rucksack, rifle and snowshoes.
Running off the DZ with all that equipment was ho-hum.
But leaping out of the C-130 and hanging under a CT-1 was always a rush!
Heck! I even enjoyed the time I burned dozens of holes in a German Army T-10!
I must be one sick bastard!

I still do the occasional IAD jump to help new instructors earn their ratings.

Hello riggerrob,

Static-line jumps can be fun ... as long as you approach them with fun in mind.
Starting in 1977, I did more than 30 static-line jumps.

Cool. I am approaching the whole thing with full enthusiam. I know the two days might be tiresome, but I sure hope to have a hell of a lot of fun.

Thanks for input!

Happy and Safe Skydiving,
Nichole
No Worries, You're Good!

I am exagerating. It was very painful, and tore muscles in my rotator cuff, and stretched the remaining components of my shoulder.

My 'incident' happened because I was too fast (and 'confident') going for the handle. If the door was on the right, as it had been for 13 previous SL jumps, it wouldn't have mattered. Just something to think about. I have!

If they have the same training setup as when I was there, your first jumps will be out of the 182, hanging from the strut.

Is it fun? Yeah, because you're going to be the one in charge for the first time. Does it scare you silly hanging off the strut for the first time? Yeah, a bit. Quickly passes though.

After 3 SL, you should be live pull (if you do it all right). Now *that's* fun. You'll soon learn to love watching that wad of nylon open up over your head.

First 7 jumps are from the 182, next 2 are from altitude (if you don't repeat).

As I've said in other threads, Bill's got a great outfit out there, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh yeah -- you'll definitely learn about line twists. You're open almost immediately after dropping off, so it winds up a bit. It ain't nothin' but a thing to kick out of them on the student rigs. Practice EPs, remember how to clear the twist, and it'll be a skill you use the rest of your jumping career.

Bill's got a great outfit out there, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks for the input. I did a lot of checking around, however, just being there you get a good vibe from everyone.

There are a lot of cool people working out there. They don't mind answering questions and there nice about it.

We are going to BBQ and pop out ice chests of beer for all the workers after we pass our course. Everyone has told me about the "first" beers rule ;)

Again thanks,
Nichole
No Worries, You're Good!

Hey Shawndiver,

Thanks for the welcome! I am sure we will meet up sometime in Lodi since I see that is your home DZ.

I will be the small brunette that can't stop smiling after she skydives. LMFAO Or I'll be the small brunette putting back Coronas at the end of the day. :S

Either way, I'll be smiling ;)

Again, thanks for the nice welcome.

Nichole
No Worries, You're Good!

I've read a lot of threads on s/l and AFF, and I just with someone who went through AFF. The dz where I jump didn't advertise that they did AFF, only s/l, so I went through s/l and I am so glad that I started via s/l.

You're going to have a blast, and it just keeps getting better and better!

And no worries on the line twists. I didn't have line twists until my first FF and had no problem kicking out of them.

Bill Dause (Parachute Center)

I'm trying to think..... I'm not sure if there's anyone who's trained more civilian skydivers using the S/L method than him.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am so glad that I started via s/l.

You're going to have a blast, and it just keeps getting better and better!

I'm thinking it will be blast and will be better everytime! In most of my Tandem videos at the end, my exact words were, "It just gets better everytime" :D

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! ;)

Tomorrow's the big day! 24 hours from right now I will be at the DZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
No Worries, You're Good!

Good Morning Everyone!

Today is the day. I am packing up to leave for the DZ and the 1st day of my course ;).

A Huge Thank You to everyone who posted, emailed and sent messages!

If I am not to exhausted when I get home tonight I will post a follow up of how it went!

Again thanks!
Nichole

{Edited for spelling}
No Worries, You're Good!

Well the ground school was long and informative and I was soooooo ready to jump.

However, >:( the wind had its own plan. The winds woudn't let up so we had to call it a day at 3:00 without doing a single jump. :(

We will be back tomorrow and hopefully the winds will have died down.

On the other side of things, as we were getting ready to leave we decided to watch the landings of the load that just went up. We watched one malfunction, cut away and pull the reserve and then noticed another a second chute dropping in the air.

After all were to the ground we quickly found out that one person had opened their shoot and another person was above him and impacted on top of the chute. The person on top immediately pulled his chute safely and the person below noticing a big HOLE in his chute cut away and pulled his reserve.

Thankfully, everyone made it down safely and the person who was above had a camera on. We watched the video in dismay, shocked so see what it looks like when someone below has opened their chute as you look down in freefall and impact it, but regarded it as simply as extra learning in our course. A big major extra learning, but nonetheless, knowledge we saw first hand and will remember!!!!

Well I rambled...cause I'm tired. So all packed for tomorrow and off for a good night's rest.

Dear wind gods....chill out for tomorrow please!
Nichole
No Worries, You're Good!

After all were to the ground we quickly found out that one person had opened their shoot and another person was above him and impacted on top of the chute.

Anyone know why this happened? (I have started a separate thread in Incidents)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Wups I meant to write you won't be afraid of 3000ft exits, like the AFF kids are. Because you will get used to them.

Hell yes Static line is fun... untill you don't need it anymore. It's all good.:)

whats up with everyone thinking aff trained jumpers are afraid of 3k exits i love to do h@P and have no problems with 3k exits, aff makes u do a 3k exit its not all 13k
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

be sure to keep this incident in your thoughts, while there are many talented jumpers at lodi, they don't pay much attention to exit order or jumper seperation sometimes. There was a fatality about 3 years ago when 2 inexperienced jumpers had a freefall-canopy colision. There's alot of good information in the safety section.
Have fun with the course!

they don't pay much attention to exit order or jumper seperation sometimes. There was a fatality about 3 years ago when 2 inexperienced jumpers had a freefall-canopy colision.

The jump your speaking of was a 2 way. Not a result of bad exit seperation.... :S

There are jumpers at alot of DZ's that exit too soon after the jumper that just exited before them. Jumpers at Lodi make every effort, just like all the other DZ's, to get good exit seperation.
Next time you jump there and you are confused as to what the exit order is, ASK, it always helps. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

To add to ED's post. We had strong uppers at Lodi today and the staff that you just maligned made sure everyone knew to give EXTRA time between groups. Oh yeah...we had some extra sick freelying going on too, it is Lodi after all;)
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos