Andy_Copland

Aircraft with Soul

I was reading Clarksons book and it dawned on me why i love the Cherokee. The Thing has a soul. Simple

I jumped the Beech 99, yea it was fast and had seats but it was just a machine. I could see the pilot flying it with ease and the atmosphere on the plane was "alright, lets jump."

Cherokee that i jumped breathed, the thing was alive. I cant put my finger on it but it was just more than machine! Much like i can imagine a balloon would be.

What aircraft can you say have soul?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

AS you well know, the black beaver will be coming home soon. That aircraft has soul! ...and a heater luckily! Brrrr! :D

Its still quite fast, has loads of charachter and a great presence. I think it rocks. Wafty pygmy height door too but its just too much fun to care! B|

Macca has a cool video of him chasing it in a wingsuit too. I'll try and find it. EDIT: yeah, here it is: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=719925097&n=2

AN-2 :D

I missed that when it came to my DZ last year!

How gutted was I:(

Edit, I actually think Porters have got a bit of soul in them too, they've got that jet fuel smell, rugged looks, rattly tail dragger thing - I like 'em:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yea but does the skyvan have soul.... This one is bugging me because i love the thing but i cant just say it has soul. Its too popular to have soul. Therefore its a great aircraft, but no soul and if it did it sold it to the devil to be popular. A bit like Jade Goody

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

actually think Porters have got a bit of soul in them too, they've got that jet fuel smell, rugged looks, rattly tail dragger thing - I like 'em:)

Absolutely! :)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Yea but does the skyvan have soul....

It has character ('cos it's so fucking ugly:D) but not really soul - it's too much of a standard cargo plane for that IMO.

We have a PC-6 in camo colours that was originally in service in Australian Army

I did my AFF out of an ex Oz army camoflaged Porter!B|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Aircraft with soul? Can you say Tiger Moth!;)

Ok it's only a solo, and you'll be getting 3k if you're lucky but goddamn what a cool rideB|

I once got to fly G-ACDC (great ID. ain't it), the oldest flying Tiger Moth. Cool!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Attachments: C-GROO_Porter.jpg (18.1 KB)

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a GROO.

On the basis of mass production it probably doesn't count, but I think a 182 (the older, the better) has a little bit of soul. During the week I work with students that are trying to use AutoCAD and Solidworks and occasionally Unigraphics to stuff a bunch of new components into a production car that they are converting to a hybrid. They've got some other software that they can simulate pretty much any aspect of the powertrain control strategy with. Then on the weekend, at the DZ, there is a 1959 182B that was designed by a bunch of biscuit-eating engineers in Kansas with slide rules and maybe a (horizontal) wind tunnel. If they wanted to know if they did it right, they had to build one and go fly it around. Despite all this, they got a design that's right enough that they're still building it 50 years later.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Many old 182s have a personality that you learn about as you jump them more and more. After about 1100 jumps out of a 182, I can fully appreciate their personality. Some that start after a routine, some that will not start at all when its 50F outside, but will start just fine at 45F and 55F. Etc.

You learn the sound and the smell of the engine of that particular 182 and you can tell when something is starting to happen that will require the A&P to spend a little time with the plane at the end of the weekend. Like the header coming loose on the #5 cylinder or the sound that the engine makes when the foam cleaner is starting to get a little dirty.

All in all it really reminds me of the loving relationship I have with my '73 VW SuperBeetle. Very similar actually.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

actually think Porters have got a bit of soul in them too, they've got that jet fuel smell, rugged looks, rattly tail dragger thing - I like 'em:)

Absolutely! :)

Damn, that looks just like the Porter at skydive auckland.

The Porter def has soul! especially one with a dash- 34 in it!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Damn, that looks just like the Porter at skydive auckland.

No wonder -- this seems to be a standard Aussie military camo colour scheme, according to some pictures that I saw. It's a very cool plane, indeed, has a lot of character in it's rugged ugliness (in a good way, if you will), and it does feel alive! :)
Also, there is something else that definitely has a soul -- a trike (see attachment). It's an ultralight with a hangglider-like wing and an engine. I believe flying in this thing is the closest to actually flying a bird (if you can say that)! :)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Aircraft with soul? Can you say Tiger Moth!

I've jumped a Tiger Moth, but still, my heart goes to a DC-3 as the aircraft with soul.

2 other planes with loads of soul I jumped...
-Bucker Jungmann
-JU 52
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I should kick you in your broken ribs for that.

Caravan has much soul. You just have to ride in one more than TWICE to feel it.

Other than that......AN-2 and C-130

Cant get much more soul that those two.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?