noblesmelissa

Only 5 minutes to talk about skydiving?!?

A video of an AFF jump with a good student might be short enough to start off with, and give you something to talk about. You could get just the freefall portion, and then talk about how they planned it etc, and maybe ask that student why they did it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The title of this thread reminded me of an incident years ago; A reporter was going to make his first tandem jump, and he decided it would be a great idea to take a small tape recorder along to record his thoughts on the way down. After landing, everyone gathered around to hear the recording played back. He rather sheepishly played the tape for them. It was about five minutes of:

"Wow...Oh wow! Wow! Oh, wow...Wow! ..."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That is pretty funny. Could have been worse....

"I F***ing hate you.... I F***ing hate you, I am going to have a heart atack" :o
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

5 minutes to cover skydiving.....
i couldn't do it...

I suggest to break it down-
short intro on the sport,
and choose 1 topic in skydiving for your presentation.

example:
the first tandem freefall adventure-

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

He rather sheepishly played the tape for them. It was about five minutes of:

My sisters boss did a tandem. He was the brainlock variety. 15 minutes of "It was, like... so... and I don't know if... most wow that I..."

Not any actual noun-verb sequences.

I asked them, "He's not driving, right?"

Everybody understood.
:D

I have done a few presentations on skydiving and quite a few on other topics before I started skydiving. What I do for a skydiving presentation first and foremost is build a foundation of information centered on safety. So far the presentations I have given were to attract individuals out to make their first tandem skydive so I concentrated on the primary concern of those considering such an endeavor. Safety…

The largest concern for non-skydivers, especially those with interest is safety:
Will my parachute open?
What if my parachute fails?
What safety measures and features are taken into consideration with reserves?
ADD – RSL/Skyhook can open my reserve for me?
Will I land safely?

If I only had 5 minutes, I would talk about what it takes to jump out of an airplane and not only live to talk about it but walking away without a scratch. So my short 5 minutes would be primarily centered on the amazingly reliable gear we use and it’s proper utilization.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all the advice...I found a lot of it really helpful.

After my intro I started with my gear and what it does, emphasizing the main, canopy, and AAD. Then I took them through a basic skydive. Then I finished with why it is so important to me and how it changed my life.

Mine was the most original of all the presentations by far.B|

>what does it feel to look at earth from 30,000 feet?

Pretty cool, especially when there's a bit of weather below and you are far, far above it. You can see for hundreds of miles.

>Can I do a tandem with you as my instructor?

That would depend on what size they were!

>Does the chute ever just not open?

Yep, sometimes.