skymynci

Stupid question ... ?

Apologies if I seem really dumb but forgive a newbie....:$Do I need to make sure I'm waving off when I jump on my own? I figure it would be vital for anyone flying near me but I only just realised I haven't been doing it on my last few solo's and I'd like to know if it would be a good habit to get into. I obviously realise that when jumping with others its very important! Any advice gratefully received X
"I don't mean to harass you, but I was very impressed with the capable and stylish manner in which you dealt with that situation. And I was thinking to myself, now this girl's special..." M Renton

Apologies if I seem really dumb but forgive a newbie....Do I need to make sure I'm waving off when I jump on my own? I figure it would be useful for anyone flying near me but I only just realised I haven't been doing it on my last few solo's and I'd like to know if it would be a good habit to get into. I obviously realise that when jumping with others its very important! Any advice gratefully received X

Yes, you should wave off even when you do a solo.
Owned by Remi #?

Thanks...I thought as much...feel a bit daft for asking but you know ....:$ Will make sure I do from now on! X :)
"I don't mean to harass you, but I was very impressed with the capable and stylish manner in which you dealt with that situation. And I was thinking to myself, now this girl's special..." M Renton

Thanks...I thought as much...feel a bit daft for asking but you know .... Will make sure I do from now on! X

No need to feel daft...well.... except that you took a total stranger's word for it on the Internet ;):P

Your instructors should explain why it's important to wave off on every pull. Why not talk to them?
Owned by Remi #?

i often ask 'stupid questions' myself... so i was drawn to your post...:SB|

Sure,,, nothing wrong with intitiating your pull sequence, each time by getting your arms going...

It's a good warm up for when you throw your pilot chute handle....( weak or wimpy throws can be problematic)

As you correctly note.. when in the air with others... an important visual cue, that a deployment is about to occur,, IS the wave....
In addition,,, even if you are by yourself in the air,,, ALWAYS do a good visual scan above , around, and even below yourself, when coming out of your track and preparing to start that wave-off....:)stay aware and communicative whenever you are in freefall...( including using visual cues) and especially if it is with others.

keep asking questions and then properly sort out the answers.
jmy

Well....The DZ is closed at the moment for winter :(sob:( otherwise I would...I'm lucky that they are the best bunch of guys to learn with and very easy to talk to. I just happened to read another post and (luckily!) it occured to me that I haven't been remembering to wave off. I guess with so much going on and the excitement of jumping (I'm only up to consol 4) I'd forgotten that its important to wave regardless...And as for trusting strangers, I have no problem with that. If you bullshit me though I'll hunt you down and whip your ass ;):D In all seriousness thanks for your reply! X

Thanks for the post, I appreciate that. With only one eye that works properly I have to take extra care about other sky traffic so hopefully those habits are already ingrained...and my tracking I'm working on. I have a kind of 'pimped up bouncy car' :Dtrack at the moment which I'm working on so fingers crossed it'll all come together soon!!

KEY WORD..muscle memory...
Even if you exit solo from a C182 with no other jumpers, waving off before pulling will help develop "muscle memory"....After muscle memory is developed, you will do it without even thinking. Similar to knowing what to do regarding emergency procedures (cutaway, pull...) If you do it enough with practice, you develop the "unconscious" muscle memory of that activity and do it without even thinking (hopefully).

You should always wave off! If the people behind you exited to soon, they may be right above you. Make it a habit so you automatically do it on every jump.

Another when jumping with others is to always track as hard as you can. 1) to practice tracking, 2) to get better at it, and 3) to always insure your separation if someone to your right or left, or above or below you tracks into your space; AND remember to wave off after tracking!

Blue skies,

Jim

I'll add my $0.02 to say that waving off EVERY jump is a good habit to develop.

Oh, and don't ever feel like the questions you have are stupid...they're not. The one time when you don't ask because you don't want to appear "stupid" in front of others is the one time where a situation will come up and bite you in the ass because you didn't know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

To Labrys, ask and then listen to your instructors.

What am I supposed to ask my instructors? [:/]

Sorry. I confused you with Skymynci, the originator of this thread.:$

Still, I don't think one needs to wave off on a hop and pop or most solo jumps. I think one can consider on each jump whether or not a wave off is required. However, I also think you can consider whether or not to pull the cutaway handle during certain malfunctions, as opposed to doing everything by rote. But that type of thinking is going out of style. [:/]

In my line of work I see a lot of people working by rote, often doing more than they need to do, instead of considering the most efficient means of doing the job. It can be frustrating to watch them go down the tubes instead of using their brain a little more. It certainly ups my workload some days.[:/]

Your heart's in the right place. "K.I.S.S." (Keep it simple, stupid.)

But . . . he asked if it was necessary, not if it was a good habit to develop.

I knew a guy, instructor, that died on an accidental low pull because he tracked and waved off before pulling, according to eye witnesses, even though he was all by himself. Impacted at line stretch. Sorry to be gloomy, but that's why I like to evaluate the actions required one scenario at a time.