stayhigh

How would you land down hill???

If you've already thought throught the risks, and have decided that this is an acceptable risk for YOU, then no jerk on the internet saying "no, you dont' have enought jumps, its too dangerous, you're stupid" is going to stop you (and neither should they).

it's not about saying : dont do it because this or that.. it's about saying : get proper education before doing it in the most intelligent manner.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If you've already thought throught the risks, and have decided that this is an acceptable risk for YOU, then no jerk on the internet saying "no, you dont' have enought jumps, its too dangerous, you're stupid" is going to stop you (and neither should they).

it's not about saying : dont do it because this or that.. it's about saying : get proper education before doing it in the most intelligent manner.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that was more of a general observation of DZ.com replies. Not specific to this one thread, or any 1 poster.

it wasn't succesful due to little wind around 3-5 knots, had barely enough wind to kite over your head, and when i ran down i put the break way too early causing canopy to rock backwards..

they can say whatever they want to but i think ill still be out there trying,, it gave me more rush than skydiving tho,,, im gonna have to buy shitty canopy just for this purpose..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

it wasn't succesful due to little wind around 3-5 knots, had barely enough wind to kite over your head, and when i ran down i put the break way too early causing canopy to rock backwards..

there are techniques to inflate a canopy and take off. You learn them with a paraglider
If you want to take off, you have to RUN till you fly (and apply correct brakes). You'll learn that with a paraglider
A skydiving canopy flies faster than a paraglider, you'll learnm the difference when... you see the idea...

Glad you didn't get hurt trying. Hope you continue like that. And don't buy a shitty canopy for that. Buy an adapted canopy ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

>im gonna have to buy shitty canopy just for this purpose..

Do NOT do this! When I was learning to ground-launch (back then we called it paragliding) I used a ragged out PD190. Led to many a twisted ankle, scraped shin and dirt-smeared butt. I was lucky I was not more seriously injured.

I finally got a Super Space (a somewhat old paragliding canopy) and suddenly everything started working a lot better. Once I got good at that, I tried ground-launching a Sabre 150, and it was a lot easier to do.

If your canopy comes apart/collapses at 80 feet, you're probably going to die. It's not much different than BASE jumping or skydiving in that way. Imagine a skydiver who said "I tried BASE once and I love it! I'm going to get a piece of shit canopy and try to build my own container and start BASE jumping for real." Would be a mistake. Your second BASE jump is not a good time to learn the details of why a nine cell bag-deployed canopy is a bad choice for BASE. Similarly, your first GL flights are not a good time to learn why people don't use shitty canopies for ground launching.

I've been using a Monarch 135 for GLing and its been working out ok. but I'm doing a kiting technique and the Monarch will Kite pretty easy... my stiletto seems to kite way way way easier. Before I go try my stiletto (120) I'm asking if it makes a good intermediate GL canopy. It would seem to be good because it has a flat glide.
Opinions???
Na' Cho' Cheese

Okay dude, i admit it im going GL, ill might have to land in down hill kinda area so im asking opinion,,

In my first flight course for Paragliding - there were three.

One died.

One won't walk again without a limp.

And me...

Ground launching scares the sh&^ out of me, after seeing what happens to perfectly good canopies close to the ground.

But I think it is cool you want to learn. Please do! But from a person who has "been there done that", respect it...

If you want to fly, then you should learn from people who know the details. I would recommend perhaps finding a paragliding instructor to help you out - they probably would do it for a kind gift... Trying it without instruction is not a good idea.

For an example, this is what you learn in paragliding... Why do you need two windsocks for ground launching? Where should these be? Which direction should each face? What is a rotor? Where is the most dangerous spot to fly on a hill? What are the effects of thermals on the mountain? Where are the areas of sink? How can you inflate your canopy facing the canopy (reverse inflation) vs forward inflation.

Knowing what I know, and after a few bad launches, I would not jump into this quickly.

Here is a good skill... Can you kite your canopy for 2 minutes on flat ground? If it dives one direction, how do you get it back over your head (using your feet and arms)... Once you can do that, then you have the baseline for a launch...