scratch69

POLL : Left or Right

In light of a recent few ridiculous posts that I have read on here, it is evident that training is either not being properly provided or people are quickly forgetting what they learned in the early days of their training, ie. the basics.

So please amuse me, and a side bet that I have going and please provide your answer to the question on the picture that I have attached to this post. I would greatly appreciate your input. If not for me, do it for science.

Feel free to comment as well.

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

I'm not sure what to make of this, but at the time of this post, there were 65 people who viewed the poll, but only 11 who have answered. Could this be a case of uncertainty or is everyone busy running out and checking their SIM's ?

ok, well, "left hand" is another term for something wrong, or out of the ordinary or sneaky. So in that sense, ok, this is a left hand pattern. And anyone who says it is, is coming "out of left field". They are "left of center" and they have also "left their senses". The logic which dictates this to be a "left hand" pattern is best "left" alone.

So quick to judge others?? Perhpas they weren't trained properly ?? The scientific merit of my study has just been compromised by your post though. As of now there are no longer any valid answers. The final verdict is 15 - RIGHT 3 - LEFT. 16 % of jumpers are misinformed. Thanks for your help everyone.

Interesting post if you knew the answers given were 100% what the person thought was the truth

Im thats someone who knows the answer will vote incorrectly just because they can.

Edit: I think it would be hugely rare for someone not to know the answer if they spent more than two minutes at a dz with their ears open.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Very interesting poll.

And I can see how new jumpers would be confused. It's a question of how the pattern is named: 1) from the side you are on from which you approach the landing area from upwind, or; 2) from the direction of the turns you make to get into the landing area.

So, you're correct. Instructors need to make sure that this concept is covered properly, so that we're all using the same reference.

It's also similar to the problem I've seen when an RW dive is organized and someone calls out for a "right donut". Some people turn to the right for a left-hand grip, and some people turn to the left for a right-hand grip. Of course, that problem doesn't create a safety issue, just dirt dive confusion.

currently I have only 9 jumps under my belt, My DZ has a left-handed landing pattern which is exactly the opposite of what you drew. How did experienced skydivers get that wrong?.......

because their instructors just assumed that they new what a left hand pattern was when they said left hand pattern. they didn't explain it.

some instructors ask, "do you understand what a left hand patter is?" and the student says "yes". ---end of story.

what the instructor should have said was, "show me how to do a left hand landing pattern on this piece of paper". that way when they got it wrong the instructor could correct them.

the student had in there mind that "left hand pattern" meant you were to the left of your landing area..... :)

I can see how something so simple can be confusing, I am thankful I had a great instructor who explained things in detail then asked me about what I have learned over and over. I am fortunate to train at a small DZ where I get a lot of 1 on 1 with him.

I wouldn't put much trust in the poll because of too many people deliberately screwing it up.

But your question about interpretation of pattern direction is a good one.

Some possibilities for confusion:

If the term "left pattern" is used rather than "left hand pattern" it might be perceived as negative or incorrect. For example, don't you want to do a "right pattern" (correct pattern) rather than a wrong pattern?

If an instructor traces out a (left hand) pattern on the drop zone picture for the student even _once_ and tells them that is the prefered way to fly their canopy making left turns, I can't imagine why they would be confused, unless there are many more dyslexic people than we think.

jbanning - a few years ago, I was in your shoes and i too am thankful that I was trained by excellent instructors who took time and effort to truly ensure that students UNDERSTOOD the ins and outs of skydiving safety. The resluts of this forum are a microcosm of the real world from a statistical standpoint. Some people have already realized the validity of my poll and others have ridiculed it and even manipulated the numbers in the poll to be morons because that is what they are good at. In any case, I do believe the awareness level of patterns is at the forefront in light of recent events, and that is a VERY GOOD thing. Thanks again to all who participated truthfully.

because their instructors just assumed that they new what a left hand pattern was when they said left hand pattern. they didn't explain it.

some instructors ask, "do you understand what a left hand patter is?" and the student says "yes". ---end of story.

what the instructor should have said was, "show me how to do a left hand landing pattern on this piece of paper". that way when they got it wrong the instructor could correct them.

the student had in there mind that "left hand pattern" meant you were to the left of your landing area..... :)
This is so true, I don't think I can recall ever getting formally taught the interpretation of left or right "hand" pattern at my DZ. I could be wrong but I truly don't recall. And it is true the way it is drawn out in Scratch's attachment, there is plenty of room for confusion. I'm sure its more of a problem with noobs though. Once you fly a few patterns, you get used to the terminology but new people might not get it and assumption on the instructors behalf, is probably more common than we think.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I think the word "pattern" is important here. Clearly, in this example, there are nothing but right hand turns. The LZ is to the right and all turns are also to the right. Ergo, a "pattern": A repetitive series of events all identical to one another. Instruction ought to be about the way we fly our canopies as opposed to where we are in relation to the LZ. (Yes, that's included. But it isn't the central point. Flight is.) With the LZ to your right, as opposed to your being to its left, the only way to get to it would be through a series of turns all identical to one another - a pattern. I have to admit I've always been confused by not only the left/right donut example (good example, too) but by baseball's left/right field and theatre's left/right stage. All according to whose perspective? I've been told a thousand times but it just doesn't stick. I still don't know where left field is, though I sense I spend a lot of time there.

This poll was far from formal, but that's what adds to its validity. I just threw it out there and got raw feedback. It wasn't set-up in any way and no one really had an explanation of what was going on. This resulted in true to life responses, including honest answers, dumbasses who answered wrong on purpose and people who made mistakes such as yourself. This is pretty indicative of real life in my opinion. Surprisingly the poll continues and at last count, 13 people call it a left hand pattern. Who cares how accurate that number TRULY is, the point is that if even ONE person truly made the mistake and they have a skydiving license, then we are ALL in DANGER !!! Think about it. Now go and quiz everyone you know, print out the attachement and bring it to your DZ and test your peers. You may be in for a shocker.

This poll was far from formal, but that's what adds to its validity. I just threw it out there and got raw feedback. It wasn't set-up in any way and no one really had an explanation of what was going on. This resulted in true to life responses, including honest answers, dumbasses who answered wrong on purpose and people who made mistakes such as yourself.

Wrong! My point is your poll has no validity. I did not make any mistake and I answered correctly. I took the time to read the thread and look at your cartoon before placing a vote but others may have not.

At first I thought you were asking which pattern do you normally fly. If I would have answered THAT question I would have been incorrect. Others may have done the same thing or answered incorrectly just to screw up the poll. You automatically ASSUME that people are stupid, have not been trained right, or don't know what they are doing which makes them DANGEROUS!

Your poll means nothing.