Jeth

Question on chest strap for women

So I just got my new Wings, and it's awesome! But on this rig, the chest strap cuts right across my boobs. That is definitely not very comfortable to have them squished. And also, that means that my handles are basically tucked underneath my boobs. On my old rig, the chest strap was below my bust. I think it is higher on this rig because of the hip rings.

It looks like there isn't really any room on the MLW to move everything down, so I think I'll just have to adjust.

So are there any other women who have this problem? Do you wear a sports bra to smoosh them down, or what?

Thanks. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I think you will have to post pictures so we can judge :P

You might find response by explaining your case to Ankie , but please make sure any modifications won't delay the manufacturing of MY rig ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have jumped a rig with the chest strap above and below.Below is far more comfortable.When I ordered my Quasar they asked gender because they said they put female chest straps lower.I got it, and the chest strap goes right over them.I was so disappointed.It is very uncomfortable.I guess I'm stuck with it to.I thought I was the only one who had such an issue with this.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

Hmmmm... okay. Bummer that nothing could be done for yours.

I think I will ask Ankie. But I don't know how they could make it lower cuz the handles are pretty much just above the hip rings.

It's amazing the difference with my old rig, though. (Dolphin) On that one, the chest strap was below the bust, so the handles were lower, and then there was still room before the hip joint. I didn't expect that much of a difference with this one.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Was the Dolphin used? If so it probably sat low in the back as well. This is due to the longer main lift web.

The Wings is fit for you all around and it sounds like you have a short torso, making the chest strap sit as low as it physically can on the harness, but still on your bust line.

You can wear the chest strap a little looser than in the past but still snug enough to feel in place. This wear style will allow the strap to travel over your busts and not hurt you on opening.

But I can only relay that as told to me buy several female students and jumpers.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

>But I don't know how they could make it lower cuz the handles
>are pretty much just above the hip rings.

The old EOS rig simply moved the handles above the chest strap. I don't know if that's an option with your manufacturer but you can ask. I know VSE (Infinity) and RI (Talon) has done that for women before.

Well the Dolphin was actually never-jumped, but I bought it second hand. And it was definitely lower. It was overall larger (it held a 190 and now I have a 168.) It sat about halfway over my butt, whereas this one is completely above my butt. So ya, it must've had a longer MLW.

Ya, I guess I could wear the chest strap a little looser. I was always anal about having my chest strap very tight in freefall. But ya, then on opening that might be bad.

I'm just bummed. I figured this rig being custom made for me would result in more comfort, not less. :(
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

So I just got my new Wings, and it's awesome! But on this rig, the chest strap cuts right across my boobs. That is definitely not very comfortable to have them squished. And also, that means that my handles are basically tucked underneath my boobs. On my old rig, the chest strap was below my bust. I think it is higher on this rig because of the hip rings.

It looks like there isn't really any room on the MLW to move everything down, so I think I'll just have to adjust.

So are there any other women who have this problem? Do you wear a sports bra to smoosh them down, or what?

Thanks. :)

I've always had the busty problem of handles being in sight.

Years ago the pullout was thought to be 'black-death' because you could not see it.
Well lo and behold 20- something years later even the throw out (BOC) is in a place you cannot see.

In 5 malfunctions over 6000 jumps, (4 partials and 1 total) it never made a difference if I could see the handles.

The difference I noticed was that when the chest strap was below the breast material, it hurt a lot more, not from squishing, but from scraping over on every jump.

My most recent rigs have the chest strap across the breasts. A little squishing happens when you gear up, but no scraping on deployment.
I will mention that a custom rig I bought was made with the chest strap high, so that it would not squish. But in real life it nearly killed me by choking me under canopy. The chest strap was positioned at my neck when open. That was not a very good feeling.
The mfg remade the rig to what I asked for and it has been fine.

Being able to see your cutaway and reserve handles is definitely a plus, but not a requirement.
I cannot see ANY of my handles on the ground or in the air.

I also do not wear gloves, no matter what the WX conditions, so that my feel can be better than sight.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I have long legs and a short torso. On my (custom)rigs, there is only room for my chest strap and handles- which leaves my chest strap placement across my breasts.

I wear w/e I'm wearing at the time. No special treatment w/ "smooshing" and the like. Haven't had a problem and I actually prefer it over the 'under-the-breast' placement. Hard openings come to mind.

I don't consider it a problem. YMMV

:)