autoset

Is it possible for a pro-skydiver with thousands of jumps...

...to develop that "first-jump-fear" after going for example 6 months/1 year without jumping? Or just get a bit nervous alone?

Yup. Going into competition, when trying something new and different, sometimes when jumping at new places...basically no one is exempt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Agreed.

A few years back I was about to do an AFF dive with a guy with 1000's of dives and years in the sport on the other side. Just as the door opened and before we started the climbout with the student, he asked me to check his gear. When we chatted about it afterwards, he said it felt to him like he was naked in the door.

I also suffered "gear fear" a few years back. Thankfully my new sets of gear put an end to that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I second all of that. Some of my least favorite exits are solo swoop jumps. PARTICULARLY out of Allouette's at meets and beach events. I touch my handles at least four times on every skydive anyway though. I reached my 26th year in the sport two days ago on the 24th of January.

Chuck

For the record I never get scared:$...........except when I have a harness hold and don't know what is about to happen ....... CHECK IN ----
Normaly all is good but every once in a while you get the ride

I reached my 26th year in the sport two days ago on the 24th of January.

Damn I always kid you about being old but fuck -- what type of canopy did Jesus jump? I am sure you were there will him.

hugs and kisses
voodew

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

For a few years the first of the year here in cold Michigan would cause some nervousness. Shoot for a year or two the first of the WEEKEND would. But not for a long time now. As above OTHER new things can get me going. But last year I went about 10 months without jumping due to our DZO dieing and my wife pregnant. She went even longer. But my first jump back was completely comfortable.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Of course. Each skydive is its own entity. While thousands of jumps make you familiar, familiarity breeds complacency. On every skydive whether you have thousands or if it's your first, you must stay in the moment so that you can make clear, concise decisions.

ParacleteXP

I don't think I've ever felt fear or nervous after a long break, the longest being 6 months. I have felt it on certain big ways in the past, where my heart felt like it was going to pound its way out of my chest right before exit from a Casa and I was gonna have to chase it down! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I second all of that. Some of my least favorite exits are solo swoop jumps. PARTICULARLY out of Allouette's at meets and beach events. I touch my handles at least four times on every skydive anyway though.

Similar for me with solo swoop jumps. Competition is even worst. What even worst then that is going up for a swoop jump after doing 5-10 tandems in a row. Not having all that gear to mess with, no extra harness to mess with, no student to talk to, etc leave me with idle hands and for some reason makes me feel more nervous.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I got pretty nervous during my first wingsuit jumps at around jump #3500. Was also very, very worried during my first world record; I figured I'd be the one who screwed up.

Ditto... Is it possible for a pro-skydiver with thousands of jumps... I only have 600(ish) jumps.... But I will go out on a limb and answer anyway even though I don't have thousands of jumps, but do make money as an AFFI, so perhaps that counts towards the "pro" part???

I get a pretty good knot in my stomach before every wingsuit jump, even if it is the 8th skydive that day. I love to fly it, have maybe 30-40 wingsuit jumps, and once I am flocking with a friend I have a blast... But, it does still make me nervous, and every jump does feel like the first... Although now I am getting more comfortable, and can pull birdie style by muscle memory without having to go slow and think about it, so perhaps the knots will subside... But when I had 40 regular skydives I was not getting knots like I do before a wingsuit jump, so the wingsuit does definitely add more anticipation for me.

>What World Record would that be??

The 300-way in Eloy. I thought "well, of course I'm nervous - it's a world record!" But during the 400-ways I wasn't nervous. Amped up and worrying about details, perhaps, but not the "oh god oh god don't let me screw up" sort of nervous I was in 2002.