autoset

Wingload - concept

Ok so wignload is the size of the canopy divided by the weight of the jumper if I understood right?

I keep reading different numbers like 1.1, 0.8, 1.3, etc. Is there a number we should aim for? Like a standard wingload number?

Another thing, the higher the wingload....it means the canopy is too small for the person? or is it the other way around(the smaller the wingload)?

It's a ratio expression of :

Pounds per 1 Sq Ft of canopy

A standard beginner wingloading might be 1.0 (pounds):1 (sq ft) or lower 0.8:1.

An acceptable experience based wingloading progression is usually 0.1:1 increases per 100 jumps. This is tough to do because canopies are sold in discrete sizes and skydiver exit weights are variable.;)

Generally speaking you will always have the same exit weight so an increase in wingloading implies a decrease in canopy size.

A skydiver who has an exit weight of 200 pounds might start out jumping a 200 sq ft or larger canopy for a wingloading of 1:1 or lower. As this skydiver gains experience (300+ skydives) they might transition to a 150 sq ft canopy for a 1.3:1 wingloading. By 500+ skydives they may be ready for a 135 sq ft canopy, etc etc.

There is no requirement to increase wingloading.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

No, wingloading is calculated by dividing the EXIT weight of the jumper (jumper's weight naked + gear) by the size of the canopy. Eg. In my case 209lbs divided by 120sqf = 1.74lbs/sqf.

As for a wl number you should aim for? It depends largely on what you want to do under your canopy... it is generally accepted that someone with less than 100 jumps should not exceed a wl of 1.0 but some of the top swoopers are loading their x-braced canopies at well over 2.0

A discussion about a generally accepted wl guide line as laid down by Brian Germain in his book "The Parachute and Its Pilot" can be found here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1373759;search_string=Brian%20Germain%20Wingloading%20Chart;#1373759

Otherwise a quick search reveals many links to wingload, it might be worth your while to browse through them.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=Wingloading&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

Hope this helped.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Ok so wignload is the size of the canopy divided by the weight of the jumper if I understood right?

I keep reading different numbers like 1.1, 0.8, 1.3, etc. Is there a number we should aim for? Like a standard wingload number?

Another thing, the higher the wingload....it means the canopy is too small for the person? or is it the other way around(the smaller the wingload)?

how are you making out since you finished AFF? you staying current? what are you jumping these days? got your own gear yet? do you just grab any rig of the wall at the DZ or does someone pick one out for you?

dude you want to jump ? or what ? you make it down to my home DZ and I'll pay for your FJC, and your first AFF jump, even give you 5 jump tickets for when you graduate.

let me know
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

For a given wing load your canopy could be "not too small" but could be unsafe if you surpass its recommended maximum suspended weight limit.
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

Have you actually ever stepped foot on a dropzone? Im sure im not the only one wanting to strangle you with a piece of bridle for all your questions that could be answered in full by qualified people at a DZ.

Either jump or dont jump dude, you wont find what you're looking for here.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

This question, along with all of your other questions, would be covered in a First Jump Course. Please take one already. :S

I don't think wing-loading needs to be covered in a first jump course. Since it really has nothing to do with that first jump and would only serve to confuse people.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

This question, along with all of your other questions, would be covered in a First Jump Course. Please take one already. :S

I don't think wing-loading needs to be covered in a first jump course. Since it really has nothing to do with that first jump and would only serve to confuse people.

it usually isnt. but if you want your A license, you better know it. it has to be signed of that you DO know it if you want your A.

How is a simple fraction going to confuse people? My instructor mentioned the concept in my FJC when talking about the parachute system and despite the overload I was still able to grasp the concept of my emergency procedures. :P

I agree my comment in the FJC is a bit stretched, and yes I may be a huge asshole, so I apologise if I am out of line. This guy has no information in his profile and based on his questions he strikes me as some on that needs to spend more time talking to the instructors at the DZ, and less time posting questions on DZ.com
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

How is a simple fraction going to confuse people? My instructor mentioned the concept in my FJC when talking about the parachute system and despite the overload I was still able to grasp the concept of my emergency procedures.

I apoligize to post a little off topic. The FJC is designed to teach the most essential parts of skydiving. The FJC should only last from 4-6 hours. (depending on the student) Can you teach everything about skydiving in 4-6 hours??? NO you cant, so we teach the most essential things and sorry that wing loading isn't one of them. That is why USPA has a Intigrated Student PROGRESSION. We progress as students and continue to learn.
Please don't rag on people as they are wanting to learn, we need to mentor them. If they fail, you fail as a leader. Just some food for thought...Cheers mate and good luck with AFF!
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Oh...you're not an asshole, (as far as I know) and you're not out of line.

I'm not saying students would never get the concept, but I'm sure you would agree there are some that wouldn't. I myself would never include it in a first jump course simply because it's not needed. If something is not needed, but has the potential to confuse, I'll leave it out. Afterall, tell a student they have a 0.8:1 wingloading...what does that mean to them?

By the time the get an A-license they should have a grasp of the concept since they are going to be buying gear soon. But I still wouldn't expect the A-license holder to have yet formed a 'philosophy' behind it or even realize how far reaching the implications are. That sort of thing takes years.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

I agree! There are really much more important things to learn. I took the 1st jump course 3 times (2 free: I brought new people to our dz :)
I have got really great instructors! Thanks to all of them! :)
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

Afterall, tell a student they have a 0.8:1 wingloading...what does that mean to them?

I find that the very basic wingloading calculation should be briefly discussed in the FJC. Exit weight / canopy size = wingloading, and their wingloading should be at/around .8:1. At that point they don't need to know the mechanics behind a .8:1 wingloading versus a 1.2:1 wingloading... they only need to know that they should be at/around .8:1. That is just part of the basic gear understanding that they should be learning about from the beginning.

Afterall, tell a student they have a 0.8:1 wingloading...what does that mean to them?

I find that the very basic wingloading calculation should be briefly discussed in the FJC. Exit weight / canopy size = wingloading, and their wingloading should be at/around .8:1. At that point they don't need to know the mechanics behind a .8:1 wingloading versus a 1.2:1 wingloading... they only need to know that they should be at/around .8:1. That is just part of the basic gear understanding that they should be learning about from the beginning.

What good does this info mean when there is nothing to compare it to? Wing loading is a concept of relativity.