Mikki_ZH

One brake released

I had a reserve ride this weekend because one brake was released. The canopy started spinning already during the snivel phase and I ended up with various line twists (and continuing twisting) and a spinning canopy.
The thing is that I’m sure that I have stowed both brakes (but I guess that is what everyone would say…). The toggles are connected to the riser with a very old and used Velcro. I think that the brake has unstowed itself during the opening process, probably by leaving the container (Vector 3).
I would like to know if anyone had a similar experience. Can it be that a brake gets released by itself? Or do I have to live with the fact that I was foolish enough to stowe only one brake??

Edited for spelling
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

The toggles are connected to the riser with a very old and used Velcro

:S

Is the container yours? Get that velcro replaced or consider ordering a set of velcroless risers/toggles from RW.

It seems like a bit of a 'soft' mal if you see what I mean. I'm not saying you did wrong by chopping but I am saying it's easily avoidable. Reserves don't work 100% of the time and badly maintained velcro seems like a daft reason to trust your life to one.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Yes, the rig is mine. I bought it used but I have ordered a new rig which has trulok toggles. I will get it end of November.
I underestimated the danger of the old Velcro...
But never to old to learn...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

hey michael!

qué bueno que estás bien, amigo

having been in the sport for 12 years i have seen that when something becomes the new standard, it is usually because experience taught us skydivers how to improve our equpment. think of velcro-less riser covers and about bridle covers, about 3-ring-release, and bottom-of-container pilot chutes as opposed to leg-strap, etc. etc etc.

so if nowadays most people have velcro-less rigs, it is probably for a good reason. that's not to say you'll die if you have velcro, many thousands of jumps were done before today's state of the art rigs. But still, if you can afford state of the art, you will lower risks.

glad to hear you ordered a rig - what container did you get? what size main/reserve?

(edited for clarity)

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

>I would like to know if anyone had a similar experience.

I've had several brake releases, but they never caused a mal. My latest one was on a Nitro 108, and all it did was turn - I could counter with body (at first) then riser. Type of canopy has a lot to do with how bad a brake fire is.

Hola Chester,

Wiä gahts?
To verify: The riser covers are not Velcro; I would not FF with Velcro riser covers. But the toggles are connected to the riser with Velcro and the Velcro is used up. That's why the attachment of the toggles is not good. But I would say to connect the toggles to the riser with Velcro is still state of the art (if the Velcro is ok...).
My new rig is a Vector 308 (Micron) with a PD126R and I will use it for some more time with my sabre 2 150. Chelas!!!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

Yep, happened to me once. Was borrowing a rig, a vector2, so you know it had velcro. The right break released during snivel. I was pretty weird feeling, 360 turns during deployment. I grabbed riser and leveled out, then I noticed the right was not stowed, the problem was I couldn't let go of the left riser with the left hand, or it would start to spin again. so I had to unstow my left toggle with my right hand. Of course the collapisable slider was in the way. So in reaching up and over gave saddle input and it started turning to the left. Eventually I was able to grab it and release the stow above my hard deck..:)

There is little point having profiles if some makes the claim they have been in the sport 12 years yet in their profile it states 1 year.

I would be more inclined to take up the premier membership if there was a bit more control over what was entered in profiles. Even if it's only for the premier members.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Do you reach up and grab you risers during deployment? This is a common cause of a brake coming un-stowed.

Sparky

But in this case I did not feel the end of the snivel phase, it felt like that the canopy started to spin already in the snivel phase and when it started to inflate, I already had line twists and was under a spiraling canopy.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

I've had several brake releases, but they never caused a mal.

One Christmas boogie at Eloy I had an unstowed brake under my 1.1 wing loaded Sabre 2. Unfortunately, I also had lots of line twists, and when I tried to kick out, I spun up really hard. Had to chop while spinning very hard, here didn't seem to be any way to stop it. I had a nasty bruise under my chin where a riser apparently smacked me.

I did change out the risers to the new velcro-less Mirage setup, which works very nicely. But even when I pay for a packer, I always stow my own brakes since it gives me some peace of mind.

DJan

There is little point having profiles if some makes the claim they have been in the sport 12 years yet in their profile it states 1 year.

Ok, I agree, and when I came to dropzone.com I had the dilemma of saying 1 or 12. I chose 1. Let me explain.

In 1992 I started jumping, and until 2000 did a bit less than 150 jumps.

Then, in the past year, I have come back, and really gotten INTO the sport and have done a bit more than 200 jumps. So, for me, I have been IN the sport, as a regular, current jumper, for only one year. Maybe I should change it back to 12 years, at the risk of giving the impression that I am a 30 jumps/year jumper, instead of the current 200/year.

Sorry for the confusion, it was not my intension to fool you or anybody.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

and that was with the Sabre2 150, just imagine with the stiletto 135...

couldn't you counter the turn by flying with the risers ?? or by quickly releasing the other brake ?? I don't know if this is a common procedure, but it already saved me a couple of reserve repacks...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I once was an idiot while packing and when stowing my breakes, I stuck the top of the toggle through the ring on the riser that the break line runs through. During opening, there is enough force to pull the line off the toggle, through the ring, and causing one break to release on opening. Uneventful, as it released at the very end of my opening, and only did about a 270 without line twists before i released the other breaks. Just wanted to share in case other newbies with few pack jobs under their belt had never thought of the consequences of doing this.

ha, ha, ha....

couldn't you counter the turn by flying with the risers ?? or by quickly releasing the other brake ?? I don't know if this is a common procedure, but it already saved me a couple of reserve repacks...

No, my experience was the same as mustard explains. I think the opening fire with one brake unstowed caused that the main began to spin and I found myself already under a spinning canopy with various line twists. I tried to pull the risers apart and started kicking for only about 3 seconds but the lines continued twisting even more so I did not wait any longer and chopped. I must admit that I did not try to release the other brake, but I think this would not have changed anything because of the line twists. And everything was very fast. I think the opening fire that caused the spinning and the line twists started with at the end of the snivel when the canopy started to inflate.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

I actually had an unstowed brake line on a vector 3 this weekend. I've had about 6 this year alone. I had the factory toggles from RWS for this rig. I believe that it has to do with the riser cover and the excess brake line snagging it during opening. I know of a few other people that have had this very similar problem on this rig. Make sure you tightly secure all excess brake line and that it is pulled nice and tight through the guide ring. This helped me to get rid of the problem. (Side note, the unstowed brake line I had this weekend was on the same rig, but after I had sold it. It was packed by someone else with their canopy.)

Never once have I cut away my main canopy due to an unstowed brake line or line twists and I jump a Stiletto 135. I'm sure you made the right decision, but if you pull on time you should have a solid 10 seconds until your hard deck under severe line twists. That should give you plenty of time to assess the situation.

Earlier this year I incorrectly stowed my right brake and it popped loose on opening, giving me a heck of a spin. I was able to pull both toggles down, which immediately stopped the spinning, but was shocked to find I'd lost something like 500-600 ft in that brief time. It's nothing to fool with, even if you can fix it, so do it quick or let it go.

Since then, I've added one small step to my packing procedure. After I stow each break, grab the steering line, above the riser, and give it a good tug. I'm looking at the toggle when I do this and visually establishing that I can see that the toggle is set and is stopping against the guide ring. It's a very quick, easy, and worthwhile check for your peace of mind.

By the way, if you're getting new risers, make sure they have the new hardened cable housings for your 3 ring cables. Then if you spin it up badly some day, those hard housings will make your cutaway pull a lot easier.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It has happened me several times with Stiletto 120 and Crossfire 119, no problems. Few times both canopies have spun up into linetwists but have managed to kick out of the twists so far.:)