RandomLemming

Packing economy

I'm planning my trip out to SA for May this year, and I've just come across something interesting. Pack jobs at JSC appear to be R25 each and a jump there is R175.

That means 7 pack jobs pays for one jump.

The average that I've seen in the UK so far seems to be £5 per pack and £20 per jump. This means 4 pack jobs buys a jump.

What drives the packing economy? I understand that fuel and pilot costs will drive the jump ticket up, but what sets prices in the packing world ?

I mean, this cost is just great for me visiting SA because I pack quite slowly and this will give me better use of my time, but I honestly feel like I'm ripping the packer off a bit.

Heh, when I'm packing, I get it done very right. I check everything about 6 times. That's why it takes me an hour to pack... That and the fun of trying to get a pilot 188 with 35 jumps into the bag ;) I'm still new to packing, so when I'm away from home on a limited time, I pay for my pack jobs so I can make the most of my visit to the DZ.

I just feel like I'm taking the packers for a bit of a ride out in SA though, paying 1/7th of a jump per job. I would have thought that packing fees would be tied to jump costs as a percentage, rather than fixed at a price.

here in Switz, the average packing is CHF 7 (5.60 USD) and the average jump ticket is CHF 42 (34 USD) , so 6 packjobs per ticket.

People don't give much work to packers here. And also packers are quite rare.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I check everything about 6 times.

No surprise that you are slow. B|

That and the fun of trying to get a pilot 188 with 35 jumps into the bag ;)

Don't stress, do it like [ url "http://spidernest.ath.cx/gallery/packing2006" ]this[/url].

I'm still new to packing, so when I'm away from home on a limited time, I pay for my pack jobs so I can make the most of my visit to the DZ.

You may practice packing at home for free. ;)

Heh, when I'm packing, I get it done very right. I check everything about 6 times. That's why it takes me an hour to pack... That and the fun of trying to get a pilot 188 with 35 jumps into the bag ;) I'm still new to packing, so when I'm away from home on a limited time, I pay for my pack jobs so I can make the most of my visit to the DZ.

>>>You are the one ultimately responsible for your safety and your gear, learn how to pack right, and fast...then you can make the most out of your time and money when at the Dropzone. The extra jumps you get 'paid' for by packing yourself also teach you to know your gear and how it works.(and doesn't work)<<<

I just feel like I'm taking the packers for a bit of a ride out in SA though, paying 1/7th of a jump per job. I would have thought that packing fees would be tied to jump costs as a percentage, rather than fixed at a price.

~OR~

>>>Just give them MORE MONEY if it makes you feel better.<<<

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>>You are the one ultimately responsible for your safety and your gear, learn how to pack right, and fast...then you can make the most out of your time and money when at the Dropzone. The extra jumps you get 'paid' for by packing yourself also teach you to know your gear and how it works.(and doesn't work)<<<

I agree with everything you say there, and when I'm at my home dropzone, I do pack for myself. I provide a source of amusement for all around me, but I will get better over time.

It's just that when I'm away at a foreign dropzone that I might never go back to, I prefer to pay for the pack jobs so that I can spend more time meeting interesting people.

~OR~

>>>Just give them MORE MONEY if it makes you feel better.<<<

This is going to sound weird, but I've had people look slightly offended when I tell them to keep the change or offer to pay a higher rate. I certainly will give it a try though... Worst case I can just pay with a bigger note at the end of the day and then run away from the DZ so that he can't give me change :)

You may practice packing at home for free. ;)

I WISH! I'd be much better at it by now. Some people wouldn't have got to laugh quite so much, but I would have been better :D

There isn't a single place in my house where I can lay my rig out, unpacked, the house is just too small.

I'll keep practicing at the DZ. At the very least, they can bring students round to see how NOT to do things.

I'm actually not too bad with the old F111 canopies. It's just this ZP thing that I take an hour for :)

Pack for yourself man. The only way you are gonna get better at it is by doing it. You have your own gear so practice at home. You know how many people would KILL to have their own gear, just so they can practice packing?

My rigger purposely wouldn't pack for me. I thought he was being an ass, in reality he wanted me to get better at packing so I wouldn't have to rely on paid packers to do it before me. Plus, I pack consistently every time. Some packers use different techniques. For the most part, I know how that canopy is going to open if I pack it.

Good luck man.

Worst case I can just pay with a bigger note at the end of the day and then run away from the DZ so that he can't give me change :)

I bet the Pizza Delivery guy LOVES coming to your house! ;)

...and I do understand what your saying, I just personally find it hard to pay someone for the 'fun' of packing MY gear! B|

That and if I function, lose the free-bag etc. at some unknown DZ away from home and my rigging kit...there by curtailing my fun, I want it to be MY fault! :$;)

> I prefer to pay for the pack jobs so that I can spend more time
> meeting interesting people.

I've met some very interesting people packing! When I'm packing, I'm in one place for five minutes, and so is the person next to me. Gives you a few minutes to talk to someone else without getting interrupted (or, as is sometimes the case, without them being able to escape!)

> I prefer to pay for the pack jobs so that I can spend more time
> meeting interesting people.

I've met some very interesting people packing! When I'm packing, I'm in one place for five minutes, and so is the person next to me. Gives you a few minutes to talk to someone else without getting interrupted (or, as is sometimes the case, without them being able to escape!)

Disclaimer follows:

I have NEVER packed next to BillVon....! :)

YET! >:( :D >:(

...and I do understand what your saying, I just personally find it hard to pay someone for the 'fun' of packing MY gear! Cool

That and if I function, lose the free-bag etc. at some unknown DZ away from home and my rigging kit...there by curtailing my fun, I want it to be MY fault!

I totally get what you're saying there :) Having said that, I think at this stage of my career, there is a higher chance of me screwing up a packjob than a packer. I'll get there, make no mistake, but it's taking longer than I thought it would.

Having somewhere to practice without having to drive to the DZ would probably help a lot too.

That makes a lot of sense I guess. Later in life, that will probably become true for me and I'll enjoy that too I'm sure :)

However, right now, I just sweat and grunt a lot while swearing at my canopy. The idea of taking my eyes off of that slippery mess of fabric for a second to talk to someone just scares me :)

You know how many people would KILL to have their own gear, just so they can practice packing?

kill is a rather strong word but i can't wait till i have my own gear. i can get way better at packing and at $5 a pack that's a jump for me for every 4 packs i have to pay for.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

There isn't a single place in my house where I can lay my rig out, unpacked, the house is just too small.

???? Like 5m x 0.5m place? It should really small. B|

I'm actually not too bad with the old F111 canopies. It's just this ZP thing that I take an hour for :)

Put a carpet under your canopy before bagging. Use a humidifier, because packing a dry canopy sucks big time.

That means 7 pack jobs pays for one jump.

The average that I've seen in the UK so far seems to be £5 per pack and £20 per jump. This means 4 pack jobs buys a jump.

ah, but judging by another recent thread it seems to take a lot more UK pack jobs to pay for BPA membership than it takes SA ones to pay for PASA membership :P

of course, a simple answer to your original question would be: exactly the same as determines prices anywhere - supply and demand. If packers felt they were being paid too little for their efforts they would stop doing it, which would lead to a shortage of packers, and (assuming demand is unchanged) this would tend to drive the price of packing up.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

We've got a landing upstairs that is 6m including the small box room that it goes into, but that runs into the bed :)

Lay your rig on the bed, and stretch it out from there B| Then bag it, stow the lines, and then move the container down to where you can easily close it. Or just practice bagging it over and over. Doesn't hurt to have the rig elevated a little, especially if you're just practicing.