JACKO

PULL OUT VS. THROW OUT

HELLO
I'm about ready to buy a rig, but stalling because I can not figure out whether to install a BOC throw out or Pull out system for PC deployment. I am soliciting advice from any who have a good opinion on this subject. I'm not worried about resale value (an argument to get BOC), I just want the safest possible rig all around.
The more opinions I can get on this the better. Straight statistics are nice too. Whatever you can do to help me I would appreciate.
JACK

at my dz we have plenty of people who jump each kind of rig and swear by their deployment method. my take on it is pullout was popular years ago, had a decline in popularity, and is now back. maybe it stopped being popular for a reason? you won't go wrong with a BOC, it works just fine for the majority of us.

I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference safety-wise. It's more a matter of what you're used to. My personal preference is BOC, but I'm biased because that's the only system I've ever used (except for S/L).

ROL is not good for freeflying because of all that bridle exposed. also you could twist a leg strap when putting on the rig, creating a pc in tow. however, ROL is great if you have a premature container opening because the pc pouch won't shift with the container open

ROL = don't freefly with this rig, like grasshopper said. Bridle routing is vital if you do decide to go with ROL; it's actually pretty easy to wrap the bridle around the leg strap and create a p/c in tow. Plus the throw from a BOC is a lot cleaner than from an ROL - with a BOC you pull straight out then let it go into the airstream, with ROL you pull it up and out then throw into the airstream.
pull and flare,
lisa

Pull out is nice because you open your own container, not relying on the pilot chute. (Used to be more of a problem in days of tighter pins or misrouted pins). Pull out does have a higher malfunction rate due to the fact that you need to "pull and THROW" If you do a lazy toss there is a higher rate of unstaged deployment, if the pilot chute lands on your back, the bag might come off first etc. The reason being that the pud, hackey or whatever is attached to the TOP of the pilot chute in a throw out and the pud handle is part of a small bridle-pin system attached at the BASE in a pull out. You can get away with a lazy throw on a throw out. I have jumped a pullout for years, so I am used to it. Another thing I like a bout the pullout is the fact that the pilot chute is INSIDE the closed container, making it less likely to deploy accidently.

I prefer my pull out because of the decreased risk of premature deployments, horseshoes, and two outs. People argue that you gain the "floating PUD" Mal, which is true, but I'd rather have that than a 2 out.

**Edited to Add: Perhaps this should be moved to gear and rigging?? (and spelling:$)
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I prefer my pull out because of the decreased risk of premature deployments, horseshoes, and two outs. People argue that you gain the "floating PUD" Mal, which is true, but I'd rather have that than a 2 out.

:S way old thread.....

Anyway why would jumping a pull-out prevent a 2-out?!? :S and I don't see how it prevents horse-shoes either, besides those that may be caused by a premature deployment?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It prevents a horseshoe because it's virtually impossible to have a d-bag out without the p/c being out first, or at least out at the same time. And it lessens the chance of a 2-out in a PCIT situation. If you have a pilotchute in tow on a BOC main caused by the pin being hung up in the closing loop, and you deploy the reserve, when the reserve leaves the container, or even just when the reserve flaps open, it can sometimes be enough reduction of tension to let the main p/c extract the pin, and you get a 2 out. I'm not saying that it eliminates either, just lessens the chance.

EFS
Sean LR

**Edited for spelling
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Ok but you can still get a horseshoe, by wrapping the bridle around your arm/leg for instance.

A PCIT with a pullout is possible (we had it happen on our DZ a year ago), with all possible resulting troubles that brings.

Of course a horseshoe is still possible by it wrapping around an appendage. What gear that is now commonly used would prevent that?

Cheers,
Travis

Ok but you can still get a horseshoe, by wrapping the bridle around your arm/leg for instance.

A PCIT with a pullout is possible (we had it happen on our DZ a year ago), with all possible resulting troubles that brings.

Of course a horseshoe is still possible by it wrapping around an appendage. What gear that is now commonly used would prevent that?

None that I know of (well for freefall mains anyway, the reserve freebag does help), which is why I was puzzled that a pullout would help. I already dismissed the premature deployment because that's why most people get pull outs, so I was just thinking of the other kind of horseshoe...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know that they're both possible, I never said they weren't, I'm just saying that they're a lot less likely. The bridle getting wrapped around an apendage, as stated earlier, can happen on any gear, and I'd have to imagine that a PCIT on a pull out is either burble related hesitation, or an uncocked p/c.

EFS
Sean LR

I'd have to imagine that a PCIT on a pull out is either burble related hesitation, or an uncocked p/c.

Doesn't a pull out always have a spring loaded PC?
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

You must be thinking of ripcord closed rigs rather than pull out.

Here is a picture of a pull-out. Sorry about the quality, it was taken just now using my phone.

Does this help? If you wish for more clarification, let me know.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

See the handle in the picture? It’s attached to a 9 inch lanyard. The pin is attached to the other end. The pin is attached in a way that creates a block that won't slide through. or get stuck, in the grommet.

The tab with the grommet is attached onto the bridle near the base of the pilot chute..

When the handle is pulled, the lanyard will pull on the pin extracting it from the closing loop.

Since the tab is located at the bottom of the pilot chute, all you have to do is pull the handle out to the side, to arm extension, then let go.

If you don't let go of the handle, the PC will inflate and rip the handle out of your hand.

Make sense?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto