damion75

European Airline Security - weight belts

Has anybody had any experience with taking weight from weightbelts on as hand luggage / carry on or in their coat pockets? This is mainly to get around the Ryanair weight restrictions! ;)

Not too keen on trying to get some lead when we arrive.

Yes, I have done a search and no, nothing obvious appeared to answer this question!! :P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

a friend of mine had her shot belt confiscated also. If you can borrow one at your destination thats the best option. The guys on the machines get very suspicious of anything they can't see through.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Has anybody had any experience with taking weight from weightbelts on as hand luggage / carry on or in their coat pockets? This is mainly to get around the Ryanair weight restrictions! ;)

Yes, I have done a search and no, nothing obvious appeared to answer this question!! :P

I you are going to Empuria they can lend you lead when you arrive.

Last time I flew with Ryanair I took my weight belt in my hand luggage. Security at East Midlands had a look at it then let me go.

a friend of mine had her shot belt confiscated also. If you can borrow one at your destination thats the best option. The guys on the machines get very suspicious of anything they can't see through.

I was told that I was "really trying their patience" (lol) when I carried my rig/gearbag on and they asked me what was in it (and I told them it was full of lead). I think I'll just check it from here on out.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Best advice ever!

Fly with a mate, check in while they hold your hand luggage, then swap.

I usually don't bring my hand luggage for check-in. Other question if you can talk through the security check. As someone else told they might be suspicious about those small bags. That is a different story.

I you are going to Empuria they can lend you lead when you arrive.

Last time I flew with Ryanair I took my weight belt in my hand luggage. Security at East Midlands had a look at it then let me go.

Don't understand why more of the larger dz don't actually do this Its Just another little item that may persuade a team to come do their training there, rather than have to take a excess baggage allowance hit :|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I take my weight belt all the as handluggage either in the small gearbag which also contains my rig or around my hips. (Flying from Munich and Frankfurt)

Never had a problem at the check in (haven't tried it with Ryanair) and allways nice conversations with the X-ray folks.

Never had it confiscated.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Cheers All! I can see how they might not like it much, but yes - we are going to Empuria so I guess we'll take empty belts and try to borrow some lead out there.

Thanks! :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

When I've put my weight belt in my hand luggage and it's gone through the security check it's always caused some concern but they've let me through, last time I flew I took it out and put it through the x-ray machine on it's own, they asked about it but no real problems.
A few years ago a team mate put hers in the bag with her rig and checked it, US security went ape and made her take all her stuff out and pop her reserve, must have been bags of lead shot with the Cypres.

Will let you know how Heathrow security deal with it when I get back from Perris (checking in tomorrow so will find out then).

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

For what it is worth, two weeks ago we brought weight belts with lead as carry on. It was Ryan air (stockholm-stansted and vice versa) and it went fine. They were curious for sure but had no real problems with it. I think they have experience with scuba divers carrying lead weights as well...

/Jens

I had my belt confiscated over Xmas by security at Stanstead UK. I have been through there with it as hand luggage many times before and its not been a problem. They gave me the option of paying to store it in left luggage for the duration of my trip - cheek! I explained I'd travelled with it before, I even tried the whole 'well I called in the week to double check that I would be ok to carry it and was told it would be ok' line - but they didn't really give a sh#t. I now have a new belt and have to take it to Perris in 3 weeks - I hope Heathrow and Manchester are less hassle!

Just to let you know from our trip to Perris neither LHR or LAX security had an issue with the weight a team mate an I carried. We just took it out of our hand luggage and put it through the x-ray machines without a problem.

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Cheers - worth knowing.

After reading that we could borrow lead in Empuria we decided to just take the belts. Then got out there and found out that there were only about 2lbs of loaner lead there. Oops. So the guys had to buy some. :o:S

Oh well. You live and learn...