autoset

Why does this AFF student have 2 ripcord handles in both sides of his rig? *Pic*

An instructor/rigger would be able to answer this better than me, but it's my understanding that it's an option on ripcord-based (spring-loaded PC) student rigs (as you surmised). That way, the primary or the secondary JM can pull for the student if the student doesn't.

At least, that's the way it was on the student rigs where I trained.

Not sure how many places use a spring-loaded PC versus how many use a hand-deployed system on their student rigs these days...but I don't think it's uncommon on ripcord-based student rigs.

If you look at the Vector SE ads in Paragear (don't have a copy handy, at the moment, to scan), you'll see that they offer (or at least at one point offered) a dual ripcord system, similar to the one in the photo.

Now that I've rambled on about that...anyone who's an instructor or a rigger want to comment/add/dispute?
Signatures are the new black.

Maybe he's jumping a with a spring loaded PC and the 2 ripcord handles make it easier for any of the two AFFIs at his sides to activate the PC?

Never seen a rig like that before.

You can have this system with ripcord but also with handdeploy equipped rigs.
This system allows the reserve-side jumpmaster to pull your main if necessary.

I think that those rigs are very common for students.

Jurgen

the one on the left side has a flex cable holding the BOC to the container when LS JM can pull it, the BOC comes off the container and the PC inflates from between the legs (all going well)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're killin' me K.
:D:D:D

Dive Flow Level 1
Climbout
Hotel Check
Count
COA
3 practice touches right hand
3 practice touches left hand
COA
Short Circles
6000 Lock on
5500 Arch, reach, throw

Note to Autoset: The real reason has already been told.:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If I am not mistaken the "Student" is Jay Stokes, AFF Course Director. He is putting an AFF Instructor Candidate through the ringer to ensure you get quality Instruction and most of all are safe.

Look closely at the right side orange handle, right above it is a black hacky handle. That is the actual deployment handle.

The 2 orange handles are for simulation of the standardized AFF Student rigs we see now.

But 2 handles allows the AFF Instructor from either side to initiate the student deployment should he or she not do as planned.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

In the UK, its a requirement that AFF rigs be deployable from either side, for ripchord or thowaway.

Ive seen 2 systems for ripchord with spring pilot chute:
1: normal ripchord on primary side. On 2ndard side theres a big handle that is attached half way down the ripchord so it can be pulled out (this must be re-routed on every pack job).

2: The 2ndary side is a ripchord attached the base of the closing loop, so that when pulled there is nothing holding the closing loop in any more and the pilot chute can escape.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.