billvon

What is the landing area like at your DZ?

As we've been discussing this separation of landing area thing, one issue that comes up is the question of "is separation by distance practical?" To see if that's indeed an issue, I'm putting up this poll.

The first option means one small area where everyone lands; an area small enough that it would not really be possible to have two separate areas.

The second option means that the DZ has a large main area or several areas, but there is no distinction between the various sorts of approaches.

The third option means the DZ has separated landing areas by type of approach (say, student vs experienced, or accuracy vs standard, or swoop pond vs main area or whatever.)

Start Skydiving in Ohio: "PRO", swooper, experienced, and student landing area's, plus they're building a pond. they have a ton of acreage for sure.

skydive oregon: main landing area and HPL area seperated by the run way.

skydive snohomish: C-license and up landing area and B- license and below/ student landing area seperated by about 3 miles

Mile-Hi in CO: Main landing area and HPL (pond)

those are the dz's i've mainly jumped at
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Hollister has a huge landing area. It is broken down into three zones. Tandem/HP landing area is separated from the main area by a road. If you don't fall into those two categories, it is a NO FLY ZONE. The main area is divided in half. If you have under 100 jumps, you land south of the windsock next to the student target. With over 100, you can land anywhere in the main area. Land in the wrong spot, and you will get a friendly reminder of the rules. We have now designated some of our more experienced jumpers to provide any necessary "Burking".
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Skydive Carolina has a massive landing area between three runways. I don't know how students manage at some of these DZs. I guess you put a lot more emphasis on that part of the training. :P

Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Hollister has a huge landing area. It is broken down into three zones. Tandem/HP landing area is separated from the main area by a road. If you don't fall into those two categories, it is a NO FLY ZONE. The main area is divided in half. If you have under 100 jumps, you land south of the windsock next to the student target. With over 100, you can land anywhere in the main area. Land in the wrong spot, and you will get a friendly reminder of the rules. We have now designated some of our more experienced jumpers to provide any necessary "Burking".

I remember jumping there and finding the LZ littered with cow patties. It was a challenge trying not to step on any of them when landing. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We have separate landing areas for High performance landing and Traditional Landings. Separated by road to the hangar.

Because of the LONG somewhat narrow landing area, There are two (and only two) choices for landing direction. It is either Towards the hangar or Away from the Hangar. Landing direction is set before the load goes up.

If the Landing direction is away from the Hangar, left Hand Pattern. Towards the hangar is Right Hand pattern. This keeps slower traffic on the opposite side of the landing area from the Swoopers.

High performance landings are not allowed in the main landing area.

See attachment.

One small tight landing area ringed with trees, a barbed wire security fence, and a downhill section.
:ph34r:

See: backyard[i/]

At the other DZ I jump at (Jumptown) there is a C License and above landing area, and a general landing area for students and A and B licensed skydivers. We are currently working on a section for high performance landings.. just trying to figure out which idea will work out best for everyone.

Skydive Palatka's landing area. Last i remember..as far as reading on the board art made the rules stricter as far as high performance landings. Im not sure what the current rules are.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

hey,

-a huge green grass landing area like at my home dz rawks- take off & land on the same field.
B|:PB|

SMiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Skydive Utah:
2 main landing areas; 1 for students, 1 for D and/or tandems.

Swooping area limited to west side of D license area.
Student and D area separated by apron/tie down area.
Student landing area divided by bright orange concrete markers embedded in ground. You fly left hand pattern on west side of line, right hand pattern on east side of line.