RyanOBrian

Landed on Rear risers...good idea or no???

The bottom line is that You were the pilot and YOU assessed the situation and YOU determined that you could fly and land it. Ultimately, everyone has to accept responsibility for their actions. And, nobody anywhere can tell you that you did the right or wrong thing. Because you assessed the problem and took action. And guess what...you flew it and landed it and you are alive and uninjured. So, one must believe thatr you made the correct decision.
Now, with that all said, I support your landing it. My position is that if you can lad your canopy without serious injury then you are probably better off than going to reserve. But, that is my decison and I would no expect anyone to take similar actions. To me the reserve is what saves your life. But, there could be a problem with your reserve. What if you chopped a main that you may have been able to land, only to find that you are unable to land your reserve? It sounds like you made a good decision.

Landing on rear risers is an excellent survival skill to have, especially for the circumstances previously stated. An alternative approach for this specific incident would have been to grab the steering line above the guide ring (if physically possible) and fly/ land the canopy that way. Fly safe B|

You, sir, have earned what's coming.

>:(

:D:D
Focker

And some of us had no idea who that was...until now.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Good job, i had the exact same thing happen to me about 100 jumps later than you and i did exactly the same as you did.
If you are packing for yourself make sure you are stowing your excess brake line right - thats how mine was caused because i picked up the toggle through the loop somehow and knotted it up.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Do you know how the knot happened?

The most common knot I have seen in the last year - is when someone puts their hand thru the excess line that is stowed various ways, then grabs the toggle and pulls it thru the excess line making a perfect knot. How did yours happen?

Everyone at the DZ says I should have chopped...

I think you should tell "everyone" to fuck off! It's not their ass hanging in the saddle now is it. From the sounds of it you did as your were trained to do, you did a control check and felt you could land it, and what do ya know, ya did and did well.

It's real easy for those who are safe and sound on the ground to monday morning Qb it, what a joke. Once under a canopy with an issue you only have to answer to you and god!

Sounds like you kept your cool and calm, cool and collected will prevail over panic actions everytime and may make the defference between living and dying that day.

I see you were under a sabre 190, you can lift your one leg up and push down with the other and make the canopy turn, while it may not be as fast as a toggle or riser, it is a good way to rest your arms and still be able to control your direction. Ask an instructor about how to slide your leg straps down once under canopy to improve harness turns.

There are eight control imputs on a parachute, unless it's a crew canopy then there might be 10.

f*ck them all your alive.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Landing on rear risers is no big deal at all. As a matter of fact a good instructor will teach a student how to do it in the first jump course. It's either cat D or E that you have the student do right and left turns and practice flares on rear risers with the toggles unstowed.

Ultimately, it's you, the pilot, who must make the decision whether or not your canopy is controllable or not. You landed safely so don't sweat it.

Generally, if you get a toggle hung up like you had, you simply want to keep the canopy straight with the opposite toggle during the canopy flight and make turns my either pulling that one toggle a bit more or letting it up a bit. For the final flare you can either flare with one toggle and the stuck-side riser or both risers (unevenly), obviously being prepared to do a PLF. Another option would have been to cut the fouled control line and have the canopy fly straight, then land on both rears. I have landed just about every single canopy I have ever owned on rears. Mostly just for shits and grins, but on two occasions when I either broke a control line or had one fouled. It's a pure survival skill.

Again, though, it's up to you whether or not you land it or chop it. Do what you have to do to get to the ground in one piece.

Chuck

Good job Ryan and congratulations for your cool nerve with so few jumps ! What you did is use a skill that all of us are supposed to have. Your first crucial decision was to perform a controllability check, which you were satisfied with. I get the strong feeling you would've chopped if your c-check hadn't felt right. You're gonna go a long way in this sport.

A great resource at this website is Bill Von's article "Downsizing Checklist", in the Safety section. It's something most of us should be reading and rereading every month. I get something new out of it every time I read it and it's constantly showing me drills I need to work on, especially as Perris has such a gigantic plowed up student area.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !