skypuppy

diamond track maneuver

Anyone know who came up the diamond track maneuver used by military teams such as the Golden Knights? Someone told me it was conceived in the early '70's by a Canadian -- but maybe it was developed simultaneously by several teams?

Also, when was the GK exhibition team first conceived and formed?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Yep - they still do the diamond track.

Two jumpers in freefall with smoke initially track away from each other, then turn and track back towards each other. The smoke forms a diamond in the sky.

Got to be careful on the return track because the jumpers literally pass within inches of each other in a full bore track.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Two jumpers in freefall with smoke initially track away from each other, then turn and track back towards each other. The smoke forms a diamond in the sky.

Got to be careful on the return track because the jumpers literally pass within inches of each other in a full bore track.

Doesn't need to be that close, as long as the 'perspective' angle is toward the crowd you can cross 20-30 feet apart and no one can tell.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

According to interviews after the death/injury, Dana Bowman claims they usually pass "several" feet away from each other, although it 'appears' to be inches.
FWIW, if you ever have the opportunity to hear his motivational presentations, run, don't walk to the ticket office. He presents with an amazing style, and incredible stories, many of which are not related to the GK experiences. FWIW, he's the only double-amputee ever to be re-admitted into the Army.

he's the only double-amputee ever to be re-admitted into the Army.

And the only double amputee (AKA, BKA) to become a helicopter pilot, then helicopter instructor after the accident, as well.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

> who came up the diamond track

I don't know who first did the two people
track apart and then back together version,
but Ray Duffy told me that the 4-way diamond
version was somewhat of an accident.

He was the leader, and he mis-spotted,
so he started gently sliding toward the
spot. The other three guys were staying
with him so he started sliding a little more
and a little more until he was in kind of a
wide track.

It looked good from the ground so they
practiced it and started using it in real
demos.

I vaguely remember him saying 1961.

I first saw it in person at the Las Vegas
Professional Meet in 1964.

It was awesome (which is a case of beer,
I've never seriously used that phrase before).

It was that and Richard Economy's hovering
jump around the same time that go me so
fired up about flying no-contact.

Skr

And the only double amputee (AKA, BKA) to become a helicopter pilot, then helicopter instructor after the accident, as well.

ltdiver

Fascinating story about Dana Bowman on one of the cable networks (Discovery Channel maybe ?). The REALLY cool part of the story is Dana's ongoing participation in the design and development of newer generations of "smart" prosthetic limbs. The legs and feet he's wearing nowadays actually allow him to feel - and control - very slight and subtle movements with his feet. That kind of dexterity is essential to controlling a helicopter, where the pilot is literally "dancing" with the hand and foot controls. It's all done by the pilot's ability to alter pressure with very subtle motions and his ability to then read the feedback of the control response. Dana's prosthetics actually do that for him. And now that they they can do that for him, they're available to others as well.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

ltdiver

Fascinating story about Dana Bowman on one of the cable networks (Discovery Channel maybe ?). The REALLY cool part of the story is Dana's ongoing participation in the design and development of newer generations of "smart" prosthetic limbs. The legs and feet he's wearing nowadays actually allow him to feel - and control - very slight and subtle movements with his feet. That kind of dexterity is essential to controlling a helicopter, where the pilot is literally "dancing" with the hand and foot controls. It's all done by the pilot's ability to alter pressure with very subtle motions and his ability to then read the feedback of the control response. Dana's prosthetics actually do that for him. And now that they they can do that for him, they're available to others as well.

It's called a C-Leg, and yes it is available to those with $35-40,000.

I have several patients with them right now. And our noble Max (Gaiwan) is using one as well.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon