RB_Hammer

Spinning mal cut away

Had my first chop today. First jump of the day, jump 36 for me. My new rig not here yet, using rental gear: Sabre 190, Laser 225 reserve. Pulled at 3500 and started spinning right away after opening. Had a couple of spins after opening previously on this gear so was not too concerned until about the third 360. I really couldn't see anything really bad above me, slider down, both brakes down and a little pucker on the leading edge on right. Did not see any lines over, but was really spinning. After about the seventh 360, I was down to 2500 and chopped.
Got a nice reserve open and started to find out how the flare was while I had altitude. I found that a Laser 225 does not flare a lot. Put a couple of wraps on the brake lines and it got better. Had a good landing and got to put the first reserve ride in the log book, jump 36.
Really wasn't looking forward to a reserve ride, but found that all that practice of the EP's paid off. Never did get panicky or scared, just did what I needed to do.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Well, I started spinning once the main opened. I was in a flat spin. I made sure both brakes were un stowed and looked up to see if I could see anything wrong, broken lines, line over or something that would be making the thing turn. I did not see any broken lines or a line over. I did see the leading edge of the second cell on the right was not in line with the rest. The leading edge was not straight. This cell was further back from the rest. I did not see any knots, but after talking it over with instructors and others, there was probably a tension knot that was causing the turns.
Like I said, after 6 or 7 spins I had decided this was not going to be a landable canopy.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Yeah, that's the one. This time it spun up really fast. I could not see any real problems with the lines, I did see some distortion on the leading edge. The thing was spinning really bad and I decided I needed to be under something a little more stable.
I did one more jump on a different rig just to 'get back in the saddle' but then the wind and rain closed in.
My rig should be arriving today so the next jump I do will be on my stuff. Can't wait.
See you in a couple of weeks.
Mathew Quigley

I did not try to stop the turn with the brake. Probably should have. When I saw the distortion on the leading edge of the canopy and the speed of the spinning, I figured this was a good time to get under something else. I was down to around 2500 when I chopped so I probably could have tried it a little more, but I remebered my training and 2500 was the decision altitude so I decided.
Mathew Quigley

I did not see any broken lines or a line over. I did see the leading edge of the second cell on the right was not in line with the rest. The leading edge was not straight. This cell was further back from the rest. I did not see any knots, but after talking it over with instructors and others, there was probably a tension knot that was causing the turns.
Like I said, after 6 or 7 spins I had decided this was not going to be a landable canopy.

Just out of curiosity: Could you ask your rigger if there were a/b broken lines? In such a case they distort the leading edge in the way you described, and if you are spinning fast, the sun is high and you are reaching 2500 ft it might be difficult to tell. Anyway, glad you are OK! :)
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

I remebered my training and 2500 was the decision altitude so I decided.

^------ the biggest reason that you are still alive, and many others are not. Good job. :)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Ya know, I asked him what he wanted and he showed me the bottles he already had that he doesn't even drink. He said, "Pick your poison, I don't even drink the stuff." I know a bottle is the tradition, but do you know of anything else he might actually like?
Mathew Quigley

I know this thread is old, but good job on saving your life. Next time you're spinning or something else is wrong and you have time, try using risers or toggles to stop the spin, and then pump the toggles to try and clear the mal. Try it twice (altitude permitting), if you can't clear it, get rid of it.

I know this thread is old, but good job on saving your life. Next time you're spinning or something else is wrong and you have time, try using risers or toggles to stop the spin, and then pump the toggles to try and clear the mal. Try it twice (altitude permitting), if you can't clear it, get rid of it.

Thanks Brian. Somewhere in the thread I posted where I got to 2500, my decision altitude, and decided.
Had this malfunction occurred last weekend, I think I would have spent a little more time with it, but at the time, I was doing my 3rd or 4th jump on that rig, pretty fresh from AFF and, in my mind, still using student rules.

I do not look forward to the next malfunction, but I can tell you that I will not be concerned about my EP's. I was just telling my GF the other day, I hope I never get to see what my reserve looks like, unless I watch the rigger pack it.

The most vivid thing I remember about the event is that I really did not even think about what I had to do, I just did it. Took very little time from the first hand on the cutaway to hanging under a reserve with a handle in each hand.
Mathew Quigley