Ruffles

Pilot Chute in Tow Mals

never had a PC in tow but a couple of hesitations/PC in the burble due to lazy throws, specially on wingsuit / camera jumps.

solved by themselves or by looking over my shoulder and allowing the PC to get into the airflow
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Javelin container.
Lazy throw (probably). Cleared when my right hand went to the cut away pillow (probably by disrupting the airflow).

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I just answered that I never had a pilot chute in tow, but I guess I lied.

I've had two. One on a bungee P/C another with a worn out piece of S#!T borrowed rig.

In both cases, I did the ole' reach around and manually extracted the pin by pulling on the bridle.

So, yes. P/C in tow. No reserve ride....

...those times!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I mis-routed my bridle in July, I reached for my risers after pitching my pc (a habit I've since broken) this made me head low and speed up. I reached once more thinking maybe I didn't throw it? I could feel my main still in the container. I looked at my reserve handle and pulled smoothly with both hands.
main - 220 fury
Javelin container

1982 Northern Lite with wire pin. Tight February pack job, tired PC and subterminal deployment. Exit at about 2000' on winter demo. Stumbled exiting so took about 4 seconds to insure stability, threw PC and my procedure was to not watch it leave but keep my shoulders level. So it took 3-4 seconds to realize no opening happening. Look and saw PC in tow at end of bridle. Looked at reserve RC grabbed with both hands and pulled. PC in tow cleared as reserve came out. Both canopies were opening as I went into the top of the trees half way up a MI ski hill. Ended up hanging about 40 feet up mainly from main but with both canopies spread out in the trees. Shattered end of tibia and broke fibula on the crotch of two branches.

Had to tell fire dept. how to get me down.

This is a case where if I had taken the time to cut away first I'd be dead. Didn't have time to deal with the two out because they were still opening. The reserve free bag (F111) had friction burns through it but could find NO other damage to bridles, lines or anything else.

Still debating 17 years later whether the tree saved my life or just broke my leg. I believe just that it just broke my leg but would have been close.;)

BSBD and Bonus Days
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was jumping a Vector II container and a F111 non-collapsible pilot chute. It was my second jump on a throw-out rig, and I had misrouted the bridal.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Never had a PC in tow mal. I once had a misrouted bridle on a rental gear. On the gear check I was not sure if it was correct or not (2nd trow-out jump) and showed it to my instructor who took the bridle and lifed the whole rig on it and said:
"This nearly was your first reserve ride, you owe beer!"
:$
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I once had a misrouted bridle on a rental gear. On the gear check I was not sure if it was correct or not (2nd trow-out jump) and showed it to my instructor who took the bridle and lifed the whole rig on it and said:

I guess this one happened to many people... Not just you AND me :$
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

[...] my instructor who took the bridle and lifed the whole rig on it and said:

I guess this one happened to many people... Not just you AND me :$

To defend me: I did not pack it. :)
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Ok, this is ancient history, but you asked for it. Wonderhog (aka RWS) used to have a Sprint pilot chute (circa 1980), basically a suspension line bridal instead of webbing connecting to the pilot chute.
The bridal wrapped around the pilot chute causing basically a pilot chute streamer.

Now my Prodigy (crw canopy) has a similar suspension like bridal, but what the heck, we're talking crw. Chances are I'll chop it anyway.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video