fendereh

feeling woozy after jumps

ive only done 2 tandems, as im in the afp program. But after those jumps i felt a bit drained and woozy. I dont get motion sickness. I run an offshore fishing boat on the weekends and never have problems with feeling bad.
Last jump especially it took me about an hour to straighten up. I didnt eat anything at all before the jump. Maybe its the pressure change, my ears bothered me a bit also. any suggestions?

I didnt eat anything at all before the jump.

I have found that with my tandems students, low blood sugar and high adrenalin can cause some unwanted physiological reactions.

Have a snack.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The harness that the tandem students wear is sometimes less than forgiving on pressure points in your body.

Keep on jumping, stay hydrated, eat well, and have fun. If people got sick in skydiving there would be FAA rules where vomit could be released in freefall.:P

You've gotten good advise from these others, but one more thought - hydration....

I live in a desert climate, so am always conscious of water-loss, but this happens anywhere. Skydiving really zaps the water out of you - both in the plane ride and in freefall.

The day before you plan to do another tandem (or even better take the AFF or other student course) - drink at least 10 glasses of water (the day before). Then, on the day of the jump - drink at least 8 ounces of either water or gatorade every hour both before and after the jump. Save the beer until later in the evening!

enjoy!
lookin' for that old time, friendly, club-like dz

The harness that the tandem students wear is sometimes less than forgiving on pressure points in your body.

That is interesting, I felt the same way after my first 2 tandems but not with my solos. Stick it out I guess and maybe it'll get better when you get that harness off. Drink lots of water too, that helps me!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Maybe talk to your doctor about being tested for hypoglycemia - I believe they do a sugar resistance test of some sort. I know in stressful situations my blood sugar goes down a lot (I am a diabetic). I know some non-diabetics who when stressed end up hypoglycemic just like a diabetic - not a good combination with skydiving.

-Michael

I always feel drowsy after jumping. I think it's just normal. Skydiving puts your body through a very unusual experience so its not unusual to feel weird or tired after something like that.
Also, i don't know about you but i feel like i'm absolutely peaking with excitement every time i jump and land full of beans and grinning like a cheshire cat.
If you are not usually as "high" as you feel when you jump then its absolutely normal to feel tired afterwards.
I get the same when i go flying too. Maybe its the excitement, maybe it's the pressure effect.
I wouldn't worry about it though, i like crashing out, beaming from ear to ear and day dreaming afterwards its all part of the fun of skydiving!