sraja

Sponsorship by breweries

Just wondering - all the sponsors I see at most places are either Skydiving equipment manufacturers or the energy drinks. Considering the largest liquid consumption at a DZ is alcohol, has anyone approached Heineken or Annheuser Busch for sponsorship? I mean even if they throw a measley 20K for an event in return for exclusive sales of their brand at the Tiki Hut - and all the publicity, wont it be meaningful?

Has anyone approached them before? I'll wear a rig and a jumpsuit painted heineken green if they'll buy both.

the local micro brews are far more interested in this sort of promotion - national brands don't see a sport with 20,000 members nationally as very attractive. I don't think they do it for free, but I'm sure the price is pretty good for the suds at the American Boogie.

You can skydive and Drink an Energy Drink at the Same time...

Well, you can, but it ends up all over your jumpsuit and rig. Not recommended.

Those who have tried that With beer have, been, well, may they rest in peace...

Agreed with that from the point of view of it being a cautionary tale (don't drink and jump), but using that line of reasoning, Budweiser couldn't advertise at NASCAR races. (I don't think anyone goes, "Oh, car #7 has a Bud Logo... I bet he's loaded right now!")

"So let me get this straight: you want me to give you sponsorship for events with no national or international media coverage, for a sport that was dropped by the xgames because it didnt see any marketing upside for it? Right."
Remster

>all the sponsors I see at most places are either Skydiving equipment
>manufacturers or the energy drinks.

Well, the skydiving-drinks thing (particularly Go Fast) is because the owner is a skydiver who likes to stay involved with the sport via his company, and the gear manufacturers are there for obvious reasons.

>Considering the largest liquid consumption at a DZ is alcohol, has anyone
>approached Heineken or Annheuser Busch for sponsorship?

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Anheuser Busch doesn't sponsor NASCAR teams because 90,000 people at the track might buy more beer there - they sponsor them because several million people watch NASCAR. If they wanted to just sell beer at the track, they'd make a deal with the track operators to sell only their beer at the track and not waste all that money sponsoring the car.

Likewise, they could care less whether 5000 skydivers at Rantoul drink Bud or Coors. If you were jumping into something, and were assured of being on millions of TV screens, they might be interested.

That being said, it's quite possible that local breweries could be interested in sponsoring local teams. But many people have the idea that sponsorship means "they'll buy me gear and get me free jumps and I will jump a lot, so people will see my canopy." It involves a business plan - what they will get, what you will get. Expect to work hard for sponsorship. One avenue might be to agree to do 12 demos over the next year into events where more than 50,000 people will see you. That, of course, involves lots of work on your part getting the demo gig, getting insurance/NOTAMs/ground crews/aircraft etc.

And if the weather's bad, and you're busy at work, and you can really only do 4? Expect them to look for a more reliable sponsoree next year.

Ok - I get the point... its not worth it for the sponsor. But here is the deal, take a large event like say summer fest and say Bud Light is the official drink after hours - and bud light gets a sponsorship logo on every aircraft at the boogie - wouldn't they throw in say 50K towards the event? They will recover a lot of that through exclusive sales of the drink and secondly it costs less than 5 seconds of TV time.

I checked up the Annheuser Busch site for details on sponsorship - apparently, they delegate the decision for sponsoring local events to the regional distributor. Who I think would definitely be interested in the 1000 or so people at a single event for 10 days.

Still doesnt make any sense??? I guess I am just a "rookie.." :P

>wouldn't they throw in say 50K towards the event?

Just give you 50K? What would that get them? Wouldn't they rather just spend $300 printing up some banners that say "BUD LIGHT WELCOMES SKYDIVERS" and putting them up all over the place? More exposure for far less money.

>They will recover a lot of that through exclusive sales of the drink . . .

They typically do that by giving you a deal on beer/coolers. One way to do that is "if you buy all your kegs from us we'll provide a refrigerated trailer with taps, and give you a good deal on the beer."

>and secondly it costs less than 5 seconds of TV time.

Right, but that 5 seconds might get them sales throughout Chicago, not just at one airport in one town in Chicago. They think this stuff through pretty carefully. There are ad people who can predict to within 10% how much X airtime in Y market will increase purchase of Z product.

But as I said, you may be able to get it to work locally if you have a business plan that shows them what they get and what you want from them.

>Who I think would definitely be interested in the 1000 or so people at
>a single event for 10 days.

For, say, 10,000 beers? That's 60 kegs. If they make $10 per keg (Anheuser-Busch that is) that's $600 in profit to them. (Assuming they didn't give you $50K of course!)

You can skydive and Drink an Energy Drink at the Same time...

Well, you can, but it ends up all over your jumpsuit and rig. Not recommended.

Those who have tried that With beer have, been, well, may they rest in peace...

Agreed with that from the point of view of it being a cautionary tale (don't drink and jump), but using that line of reasoning, Budweiser couldn't advertise at NASCAR races. (I don't think anyone goes, "Oh, car #7 has a Bud Logo... I bet he's loaded right now!")

"Just because I've got Bud on the car doesn't mean I've got bud IN the car."

Ok - I get the point... its not worth it for the sponsor. But here is the deal, take a large event like say summer fest and say Bud Light is the official drink after hours - and bud light gets a sponsorship logo on every aircraft at the boogie - wouldn't they throw in say 50K towards the event? They will recover a lot of that through exclusive sales of the drink and secondly it costs less than 5 seconds of TV time.

Advertisers are growing aware that TV time does not provide the ROI that it used to, but it's still a medium that they know well (esp the beer makers). But promotional events they've never touched could have zero return and they're reluctant to piss money away. $50k spent there is 50k not spent on tv, or another bucket.

Last year I worked at a startup involved in new media - using projected images on floor space that you could walk within. If you live in any of the big 10 DMA regions, you've probably seen one at a mall or a cineplex. It's a very effective form of advertizing for less than the cost of one billboard in a mall, but it's still a hard sell to get an advertizer to switch their money from known media types.

Frankly I'm amazed at the money spent by Bud, Coors, and Miller. I didn't think any amount of money could sell that kind of beer. Apparently they know much better than me, because it works.